This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little One's first read word

Been working on teaching my oldest kid to read, and her 3 year old sister has been watching. Must've rubbed off a bit on her....as today she picked up one of my DVDs and read her first word:

"Starfleet".
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I have said repeatedly that I am not cool enough to fit in with all the geeks on this board.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Pure win... and two syllables to boot!

Comment

Go Little One!

We're having fun right now with Oldest's (age 4) attempts to sound out words as she writes. She knows the letter sounds, but doesn't always know the fancy combinations that English frequently uses, and is sometimes mistaken as to what sound a word should use (for instance, she thinks it's "Fank you," not "thank you" because she has difficulty with the TH sound). We have two signs on our bathroom door telling her younger sister not to flush the toilet for her, only they say "no fuishe [sister's name]" and "not at ol."
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Oh my 4 year old son is becoming a voracoius reader. I was fixing dinner tonight and he ran up to me all nervous. I asked him what was wrong and he said. "Mr spock, I don't think *string of tecnobabble*"

The only thing I could think of at the time was "oh honey I'm far to emotional to be Mr Spock."
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

My dad discovered in May when we were all in Disney World that nephew #3 (4, almost 5 at the time) has taught himself to read. Considering that 1- he's autistic, 2- my sister never sits and reads with him (my mom does from time to time and I try to when I visit, but that's like twice a year), and 3- my sister's idea of pre-school appropriate tv is Sponge Bob we're not sure at all where or how he aquired this ability.
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Rhion View Post
              Pure win... and two syllables to boot!
              Yeah thats honestly the part that surprised the heck out of me. Her sister's first words were "dog" and "cat" just a few weeks ago. But Emi went straight ahead and managed to get down "Starfleet". She hasn't been able to get much else, but still....darn proud of her for only being 3.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                My dad discovered in May when we were all in Disney World that nephew #3 (4, almost 5 at the time) has taught himself to read.
                According to mom, I was reading the Washington Post out loud at age 2. Didn't really understand what I was reading, but I was able to sound most of it out without help.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  According to mom, I was reading the Washington Post out loud at age 2. Didn't really understand what I was reading, but I was able to sound most of it out without help.
                  My mom's younger sisters (who were all grade-school aged at the time) played School with me when I was three. Not long after (before my 4th birthday), I sat down with one of those "see Spot run" style books and sounded out the whole thing to myself without help. I've been reading ever since.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Comment

Lachrymose, that is AWESOME.

Comment

That is quite, quite cool. I learned to read about that age, my dad's wife still proudly recalls the tale of my 3 year old self sounding out the word typewriter and repeating it ad nauseum.

Comment

Working...
                        X