Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
Isn't it better to use soap and water?
N.B. ... add neck wringing ...

Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 AM
Cashier

While I agree that being rude is never the right thing to do, and if it happened to me, I would have just assumed that a bakery worker using bare hands in front of co-workers and/or a sup would have properly clean hands. I might have said something if I saw the worker use sanitizer and not wait the full 60 seconds before touching my bread, but I probably wouldn't have paid that much attention.

I was never a germaphobe in the past. Germs keep my immune system updating itself. Wash my hands after using the restroom? Check. Wash my hands before cooking, eating or after handling something messy? Sure. Use sanitizer on cart handles? Never considered doing that. Throw a screaming fit because the restrooms didn't have butt rings? Nope, just use toilet paper and if I remember, tell an employee.

However, now that I have seen some of the horrible things our clients do, I am using a bottle of hand sanitizer a month. I have to touch paperwork they show me, I have to supply a pen for them to use and then take it back because I'm a b**** who won't just give uncapped, 3 cent pens away. (Actually, I'm just lazy, and going all the way to the supply cabinet to get more cheep pens is such a bother. I NEVER hand a client my personal pens.)

Its not a myth that women will bring sick, hungry and poopy children to the food stamp office because they think they will be seen sooner if their children are making people uncomfortable. Sadly, this does sometimes work. Lobby workers and other clients don't want to have to wait hours for that family to leave and we can't just kick them out.

Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 06-13-2018 at 03:34 AM. Reason: there is no net gain for making a caseworker rush. Anything we don't have time to do, the client has to provide

Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
Hand washing in between customers.
I think I've told this story on here before, but...

A long time ago when I worked in food service, I was in a position where I ran the entire restaurant by myself for two hours, until the mid-shift manager got there.

My procedure in drive thru was:

Take order, quickly wash hands, start prepping whatever food (breakfast) was asked, take money, wash hands again, make food, hand out food, wash hands.

Front counter was a little easier. It was just take order, take money, wash hands, make food, hand out food, wash hands.

For 2.5 hours...

Old 06-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Area Manager

God, I can't think what your skin must have felt like by the end of the day. Anyone who has to wash their hands multiple times per day knows how much the soap will end up drying out your skin (to say nothing of hand sanitizer!).

Old 06-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Bagger

I'm in the US and work food service. Regulations in my area say we have 2 options. We are allowed to handle food if it will be heated or cooked after we touch it. We have to wear gloves to touch anything that is considered "ready to eat". OR....we can institute a double handwashing policy. Which means soap, rinse, soap, rinse, dry and means no jewelry or nail polish at all...ever.

I work in a pretty small place and part of my job is feeding the staff. My boss laughs when I glove up for that. He says he has been eating my germs for this long, no need to change now.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Assistant Manager

Regarding the OP, I’ve seen that exact thing... I didn’t complain at the time, but I was unsurprised when that loaf went to mold within 2 days. Normally they last 2 weeks on the counter, depending on how carefully I handle them myself. That’s why I normally buy pre-sliced loaves—whoever handles those is clearly following proper protocol.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Chairman of the Board

Considering the title of this thread...

I take a pile of whitish glop and put it into my oven. I wait a while and out comes a loaf of tasty bread. Looks like magic to me.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Pune Massacreeist

And in the old days the glop baked into hard lumps unless some magic fairy dust was sprinkled on it as it was being mixed.