This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're everywhere! (long)

Today was supposed to be my day off, but since a lot of people are quitting and calling in "sick" (I assume they're full of it since the weather has been so great recently) we're short staffed on cash.
    When they asked me to come in today I was reluctant, but agreed since I would like some extra cash after buying a new laptop.
    Whatever, not the point.

For some reason today was extra sucky and stressful for near everyone in the store, myself included

My second customer of the day.
    He had both a Cash and Carry (items to be paid for at the registers and picked up from our full serve warehouse at the back end of the store) and a Customer Distribution Order (items that will come in at a later date, which he will then either pick up or have delivered).
    As soon as he got to me he was being a complete prick, but I was doing the best not to let him get to me.
    Let's run through our exchange of words, shall we?
    SC: How long is it going to take for them the get this stuff [cash and carry] out?
    (Side note: Cash and Carry orders are picked from the steel in the back warehouse. The bigger the order, the longer it takes. Simple.)
    Me: *looks at the number of items* Should only be a few minutes.
    SC: How many minutes? 10? 20? 4,354? I know what a "few" minutes means in Ikea terms.
    Me: You don't have a lot of stuff, so I would say about 10 minutes tops.
    SC: Good. My friend was in here for seven hours the other day.
    Me: Yeah, some people spend a lot of time in here.
    SC: This place is ridiculous. One of these days someone's going to come in here with a shotgun and just start shooting.
    Me: *gives him that "are you fucking crazy?" look* Uh... I would highly doubt that.
    SC: I wouldn't.

Ok, at this point I obviously want this man away from me asap, so I finish with the Cash and Carry (any CDO purchases have to be done separately, as they're items that come in later) and try to swipe his card.
    No dice.
    Again.
    No dice.
    I try the paper trick.
    Nothing.
    The cover-it-in-plastic trick.
    Also nothing.
    So I call for a card imprinter, since I'm going to have to manually enter his card number.

SC: What's wrong with your machine?
    Me: You card isn't swiping.
    SC: I asked what's wrong with your machine, I can see it's not swiping.
    Me: Nothing. It's your [raggedy, looks like it's gone through the washer, probably 15 year-old, filthy] card. We're going to make an imprint of it ince I have to put in the number manually.
    SC: So you'll actually have to work then?
    Me (in my head): WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!? GET OUT OF MY FACE ALREADY!
    I glare at him.
    SC (to his friend): Yeah, no one can get anything done for you here, and even the machines are lazy.
    Me (in my head again): IF YOU HATE THIS PLACE SO DAMN MUCH THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE SPENDING MORE THAN $1,700!?

Finally I get him through and he leaves.
    Soon after (after I realised he would obviously be gone) I got a quick wash of anger. Why didn't I call LP when he made the shotgun comment? DAMMIT!
    I felt so stupid, allowing a potential whack-job meander through our store with no repercussions to his threatening words.
    I later mentioned it to a manager and gave them his description. They said they would keep an eye out for him, but I know that being approached by LP only moments after his comment would have been much better.
    I felt stupid and agry at myself for the rest of my shift.

The rug lady. (RL)
    She and her husband approach my cash wih one boxed furniture item and one rug. The rug has no tag.
    Fair enough, sometimes they're just rolled the wrong way and the tag is on the inside. So I re-roll it, hoping to see the tag.
    Nothing.
    I call the department. No answer. Again. No answer. AGAIN, they answer, but hang up right away.
    Again. They answer and hang up. Double
    So I call LP to have them paged, forcing THEM to call ME. They do.
    I answer, they hang up.
    Long story short, I eventually get ahold of them and describe the item of which I need an article number.

Me: It's a large straw rug, black border with thin black horizontal stripes and a rubber backing. he customer said it was $149.
    Even though the description was enough for her, the girl from the carpets department came over just to make certain it was the rug she was thinking of.
    While we were waiting for her the following happened.

RL: It's not straw.
    Me: I'm sorry?
    RL: The rug. It's not straw.
    Me: Looks like straw to me. Either way, the girl from the department is pretty sure she knows which one it is so she must believe it's straw as well.
    RL: It's somethingsomething (I can't remember what she called it, but it was something that started with an "S"). Straw is cheap, somethingsomething is high end.
    And of course she said this with the snottyest tone, as if I had just insulted her by suggesting she would purchase a *gasp* straw mat like a mere peasant. Why the very thought of it!
    May I remind you, dear rug lady, that you're shopping at Ikea. There isn't a damn thing in this maze of a store that even remotely resembles "high end". Shove it.

So he carpets girl comes over and RL has a few choice words for her. (I couldn't hear what she was saying since she had obviously loster her voice - probably while bitching at someone else for something useless - but I could tell by her body language that she was being a right twat).
    Carpet girl gives me the article number, I ring it through, bring up the total aaaaaaand:

RL: I don't want the rug.
    Me:
    So you wasted 10 minutes of my time, the time of the people I could have been serving, the time of the other coworkers and precious breaths of mine that I will never get back, and after it all you don't WANT it!?

I just... I... there are no words. None.

I truely believe that they put liquid stupid in the coffee we serve out customers.
    Where the hell are the classifieds?

Sometimes I think people wake up thinking "I feel like jerking someone around today!" Unfortunately these people no longer have friends so they have to go out to a store or place of business.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

you must have cheapened the rug (further) by daring to call it straw...

:goes up to Toronto and smacks rug lady upside the head:
      (:has long arms: )
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
        I for one salute this parkade ninja of yours. ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

To hell with LP, that is a direct threat on your life. I would have been on the phone with the police!
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

May I remind you, dear rug lady, that you're shopping at Ikea. There isn't a damn thing in this maze of a store that even remotely resembles "high end". Shove it.
            And this is why I bought most of my furniture there. Cheap, easy to put together, and easy to take apart when you move.

Also, you guys on here, working in sales in person, make me glad I'm on the phones. At least here I have the joy of the mute button, and can freely make faces at my customers without them knowing.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I also bought all of the furniture for my room from Ikea. I got nice stuff for cheap, took 4 hours to put it all together, and now have a really nice looking room. Sure, it's not high end, but it's great stuff for beginning couples that need to furnish an apartment, or for a college student moving home and having nothing beyond a bed in her room.

Besides, I love walking around that place and seeing all the setups. And the cinnamon buns are amazing. Yay Ikea!
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

Quoth TrainedChimp View Post
                "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
                I LOVE saying that when I work on my scheduled day off. I even say it when I go in early/stay late or have an off schedule.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport!

Somedays, that's what I feel like our company's uniform shirts should say. The good customers would probably find it humorous, anyway. I'm always making comments about the SCs at work to the good customers, and the good customers always seem to agree. What's funny is that some of them will even join me in making comments.
                  The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                  X