Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can't you live without in the Kitchen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A person that likes to cook...I am not that person lol

Comment

My antique pepper mill, officially 'stolen' from my Dad, and my garlic press that's older than I am. Properly seasoned cast iron skillets and griddles. My cheap 'Forever Sharp' knives, that so far over 10 years later, actually still are. Big stainless steel mixing bowl. Seasonings, herbs and spices of all sorts.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I always say that, given a knife, a cutting board, and a skillet, I can cook just about anything. And I believe that, too.

So naturally, three things if can't live without in my kitchen are my knives (and I have plenty), my big wooden cutting boards, and my skillets and wok. Also love my big stock pot, and my HUGE stock pot. And of course, wooden spoons. I don't consider a kitchen complete without some well-seasoned wooden spoons. And you can tell they're well-seasoned because the heads are going to be a different, darker color than the handles from all the use they've had (and perhaps from a few times they've been burned).

On the non-hardware side, there are a few staples that my kitchen is simply not complete or even really workable for me without. Like olive oil. Extra virgin for most things, light for pan-searing fish, olive oil is simply required. I have over half a dozen various bottles of olive oil lined up on the back lip or my stove. Also, my spice rack, which I must immodestly say is pretty amazing, as it is a three level shelf unit filled with various spices and seasonings, many of which I use constantly, some of which I only use occasionally. And garlic, which to me is the greatest aromatic ever created, and which I use in almost everything. And, of course, bacon. Because, well, bacon.

Take away anything else from me that you want, and I'll still make great food. But the stuff I listed above? Non-negotiable. Absolutely non-negotiable.

Quoth XCashier View Post
        I would like eventually to have a food processor.
        I have one, and while I don't use it ALL the time, I do use it fairly often, and love what I can do with it. And I highly recommend that you get one, sooner rather than later. Seriously, it rocks.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Pizza wheel

Comment

I agree on the slow cooker. I find a good cast-iron skillet is also a must have. A food processor is on my list of things to get eventually. I've also gotten spoiled with my set of non-stick pans. They make clean up so much easier.

I don't keep a lot of spices anymore mainly because my husband's stomach can't handle most of them. I do keep taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning and lemon pepper on hand along with the standard salt and pepper. I just have to remember to go sparingly on the spicier stuff.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

My chef's knife. Anything else I can improvise with.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

oh yeah the cast iron skillets! I have several and a dutch oven and they are awesome
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Hmm, there is ONE item in our kitchen that gets used a heck of a lot, by any one of the three of us. The spaghetti pot...which is really just a huge old heavy aluminum pot which belonged to our mom. The handle broke off long ago but we still use it.

Mom's old pickle fork was used for a lot of different things, until one of the tines broke off. We called it the Sonic Screwdriver because it had so many uses
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would say my mortar and pestle for grinding certain dried herbs into powder (like rosemary or thyme) and my ceramic non stick skillet. Nothing sticks that bad boy. You can burn cheese or onions onto it and it just comes right off with running water. And it cooks like a dream. Finally can make a decent pan omelet.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                      ceramic non stick skillet. .
                      Where can I find one of these? Is it actually ceramic all the way through, or is it enameled cast iron?
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My coffee machine, without that my kitchen holds no allure at all.
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Microwave oven.... Otherwise we'd likely starve to death
                          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth emwithme View Post
                            Stool (means I can actually manage to do some cooking)
                            Eeeewwwwweeee. I'd hate to think what you make with that.

As for me, my rice steamer. It makes perfect rice every time.

My wok, for making stir fry's. My cleaver for cutting meat.

When we cleaned out Mom's house, I took a few useful items; they bring back good memories as well as making life easier. A bottlecap/can opener / corkscrew. A little gizmo for taking off tight jar lids. Mom's measuring spoons. Wish I'd take more things.

I have a set of mixing bowls that are identical to the ones Mom had when I was growing up; found them for a bargain price in a thrift store.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

And onions. Because, well, onions. I use them in almost everything. And why not? They're awesome!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

How about a sink? Doubt the kitchen would function very long without a sink.

Fridge, stove...sink...

Comment

Working...
                                X