X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Fires check-in

Inspired by a private message I just got:

Yes, I'm fine from the fires in Australia; and likely to stay so. I'm so secure I'm not even checking the CFA website or tracking the fires.

I am getting smoke from them - we've shut the house up today, and are simply enduring the heat - but I'm deep enough into the suburbs to be safe not only from radiant heat (from the fires) but ember attacks.
    (Heat from Sol is another matter.)

Our other Aussies might want to check in as well.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

I'm here and alive. Another suburbanite who's safe from most fires.

So far in my sleepy little corner of Australia, we've had:

-A massive bushfire in the Northern region, hitting towns such as Laura and Bangor-something-or-other.

-A bunch of small grass fires in a pattern strreaming around near my area. These WERE deliberately lit however and the arsonist was caught (he did not have oddly shaped feet unfortunately)

-A medium-sized bushfire burning in a semi-urban area about 20km away from my place. That was an accidental one and was caused by a freight train passing through the area (for some very odd reason, the line for that area services both freight trains and commuter trains and is one of only two routes in the "metro" area to do so-the other goes across the OTHER side of town)

So far this year though, we haven't had any cars on the O-Bahn yet, which is a real miracle given the current weather bringing out the stupid in people. (O-Bahn: basically think "Bus that can travel both on rails and roads". There's a "sump buster" at certain points in the "railway" for said O-Bahn that'll rip out a car's oil pan if a car is driven onto it. You have to be INCREDIBLY stupid to drive onto said O-Bahn as there are four HUGE "NO ENTRY: Busway buses accepted" signs, plus a sign overhead that says "BUSWAY BUSES ONLY" and to top it off, the road is painted bright red and has "BUS ONLY" written on it!)
    Last edited by fireheart; 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Fireheard, I'd be willing to bet that there was somebody stupid enough to drive onto that! Probably the same people that remove orange cones or fencing from someplace they want to be. And we all know they don't read signs.

Stay safe, Aussies!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Another Aussie not far from the fires in Victoria (comparatively speaking), but other than the smoke, it's all right thus far. Rather ironically, I was in more danger from water than fire yesterday with a massive burst water-main which has resulted in roads being closed near me for two days and counting.

The reports of some of these blazes being deliberately lit makes me want to take the *bleeps* who did it and drop them into the heart of the flames. Grrr!
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I'm probably closest to one of the Victorian fires here. I'm only 20km East from the Mickleham-Kilmore fire. So far we're fine, not even any alerts for us but I'm keeping an eye on things.
          Last edited by dawnfire; 02-12-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Fireheard, I'd be willing to bet that there was somebody stupid enough to drive onto that! Probably the same people that remove orange cones or fencing from someplace they want to be. And we all know they don't read signs.

Stay safe, Aussies!
            there have been around 5-10 incidents every year. Some are drink-drivers, some can't read English and the rest are just

Comment

Then there are the people who think that areas under current danger from bushfires would be a lovely place to go as a tourist for the day. That is major WTFerky right there.

BTW, I'm not talking about Black Tourism (going to see a place where a natural disaster or similar happened) but actually going there while fires are still burning/waters lapping at chest level, roads are closed off, residents are being evacuated, etc, for thrills or so they can say they were there or similar crap.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                Then there are the people who think that areas under current danger from bushfires would be a lovely place to go as a tourist for the day. That is major WTFerky right there.

BTW, I'm not talking about Black Tourism (going to see a place where a natural disaster or similar happened) but actually going there while fires are still burning/waters lapping at chest level, roads are closed off, residents are being evacuated, etc, for thrills or so they can say they were there or similar crap.
                Or they believe that a little inconvenience such as a bushfire shouldn't deter them...>.>

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  Or they believe that a little inconvenience such as a bushfire shouldn't deter them...>.>
                  I'm just waiting for the low life looters to make an appearance and I've seen one money making scam squashed fast.
                  Last edited by dawnfire; 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    At least that would take care of some SCs.

Wow, is all I can say about the wild fires you Auzzies are experiencing. Hope you all stay safe.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                      I'm probably closest to one of the Victorian fires here. I'm only 20km East from the Mickleham-Kilmore fire. So far we're fine, not even any alerts for us but I'm keeping an eye on things.
                      I trust you have your evacuation planned, and your go-bags packed?
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        I trust you have your evacuation planned, and your go-bags packed?
                        packed and ready to go. also my house is near the point of last refuge.
                        Last edited by dawnfire; 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                          packed and ready to go. also my house is near the point of last refuge.
                          Glad to hear it! Take care and get out early!

Comment

Perfectly fine up my way, but we seem to live in a sweet spot. Floods, fires and storms tend to stay away.

Stay safe everyone
                            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

update from my neck of the woods: It's been contained. I went up there this morning to make some stock feed donations and just to check up on friends (they are all alright) and I saw some of the devastation. I'm just glad there were no fatalities.

Comment

Working...
                              X