Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I get it, I'm a bad smell that offends your nostrils (swearing)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I get it, I'm a bad smell that offends your nostrils (swearing)

So, kinda copied the thread title from this thread: Yes, I get it, I'm shit on your shoes. This is because what happened to me is similar to what happened in that thread.

I work in a concession clothing/home decor shop situated within a much larger store.

This was my first customer of the day. A lady came up to the till with a heart-shaped ornament. I smiled at her, got nothing but a blank stare, and then said hello to her. What did she do? She turned her fucking head. Wouldn't even acknowledge me. I said hello to you, lady. I don't mind if someone is shy. A shy person will usually still say hello back. I'm shy. I have anxiety. I don't fucking turn away when someone speaks. You, lady, were just rude and a snob, and oviously think you're better than me. Fuck you.

But that's not all. When it came to payment, she turned herself to the side, fished into her purse and slapped a twenty down in front of me, and then promptly looked away again so that she wouldn't have to engage with me. I said thank you, but then this wave came over me and I thought, fuck it, I'm not going to be nice to you anymore. So I took her money, plopped her change down onto the counter, put her ornament in a bag, put that on the counter and directed a half-hearted "Thank you" her way, not looking at her once. Of course, she just flounced away. Not a word came out of her mouth the whole transaction.

This might seem like a relatively small suck, but this kind of snobbish, rude behaviour just makes me feel so fucking angry, not to mention small and worthless. I don't know how people can be like that. The way she treated me, it was as if I was a nasty smell.

"Ew, if I talk to this cashier, I'll catch a bad case of the poor!"
    I think that it's the little things that piss me off the most.

Comment

Quoth SuckMyFuxkCustomers View Post
      "Ew, if I talk to this cashier, I'll catch a bad case of the poor!"
      I think that it's the little things that piss me off the most.
      I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's the thought that went through her head.

Comment

It's kinda passive aggressive, but I used to make myself feel better by being SUPER cheery to these sorts of people and carry on a conversation like they are responding. Sort of like:

"Wow I love this ornament. It's so CUTE!. What's your favorite ornament? I like the purple ones. Purples my favorite color. Your total is 10.35. Here's your change. Have a GREAT DAY"

all while smiling my ass off.

It's fun because it pisses them off, but (although it does happen sometimes) It's hard for people to complain that you were too nice.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
          It's kinda passive aggressive, but I used to make myself feel better by being SUPER cheery to these sorts of people and carry on a conversation like they are responding. Sort of like:
          I wish I could pull that off. Buuuuuut I can't. I go silent, and they can complain if they want. You know the funny thing? These type of SC don't seem to take the time to complain. I guess since they don't see us as persons, why would they complain about the soulless husk who cut their fabric/rang them up?
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            So, kinda copied the thread title from this thread: Yes, I get it, I'm shit on your shoes. This is because what happened to me is similar to what happened in that thread.
            If it weren't for the fact that you're practically on the other side of the world from me, I'd think you were indeed serving the customer I did a few days ago. Then again, Miss Snobby Pants probably has the money to jet off to the UK at a moment's notice, unlike prole scum like me.
            Quoth Evannah View Post
            This might seem like a relatively small suck, but this kind of snobbish, rude behaviour just makes me feel so fucking angry, not to mention small and worthless. I don't know how people can be like that. The way she treated me, it was as if I was a nasty smell.
            Exactly, pretty much how I felt. She thinks she's so much better than you, so she treats you like crap. Thing is, you are better than her, precisely because you don't treat others like crap. Still, it does feel good to vent about it and know it's not you, it's her.
            Quoth April View Post
            "Wow I love this ornament. It's so CUTE!. What's your favorite ornament? I like the purple ones. Purples my favorite color. Your total is 10.35. Here's your change. Have a GREAT DAY"

all while smiling my ass off.
            I tried something similar once. The customer thought I was insane. Not quite the effect I was trying for. Some folks you just can't get through to.
            Last edited by XCashier; 10-02-2014, 11:34 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's hard for people to complain that you were too nice.
              Not for my last supervisor. She complained to my CW "Betty" that she's too nice, engages the customers too much, etc.

This doesn't hold much credibility when I consider how often a customer will tell me that Betty was the one who took their ad, she was so pleasant and funny and helpful...etc.

The woman in the OP was a bitch. Stick so far up her ass she probably can't sit down.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had something similar tonight, although it scared me.

Over the past two days, we have *heard* that the Market Vice President's boss has been secret shopping our stores. To put it into perspective, my Store Manager reports to a Community Leader, who reports to a District Manager, who reports to a Market Vice President, who reports to ... this person. So, yeah, kinda way up there on the corporate scale.

I had a guy tonight come up to pay. He was dressed in a suit/tie, but without the jacket. Not alarming in itself, but his behavior was. I did the normal greeting, asked if he found what he was looking for, asked if he had a rewards card. His answers were: grunt, yeah, no. I asked if he wanted a rewards card: another grunt NO. It was clear he didn't want to engage, so I rang up his items.

As he was swiping his card to pay, the phone rang. I answered it, like I'm supposed to, with the proper language etc. Turned out there was no one on the line. I spent maybe 15 seconds on the call. He has still not acknowledged me in any meaningful way. I hand him his receipt and his bag, give him the standard "Be well" (so now you know where I work LOL).

He grabs it from me and says "IS THE SURVEY ON HERE???" I said yessir, and then got scared. Was he the boss' boss' boss' boss shopping our store???? Did I do something wrong??? I just don't know.

Comment

If you get in trouble for not saying every bit that you're supposed to, then that dude needs to come in and work register for just one day.

I have to(Anything with an asterisk is something that I don't do):
                  Greet customer
                  Ask them about day
                  Proceed scanning their items while attempting small talk
                  Tell them total
                  Ask cash, credit, debit or EBT* I just watch
                  Ask to donate to charity
                  Mention survey*
                  Mention our digital coupons*
                  Mention all sale items*
                  Ask if they enjoyed their visit*
                  Ask if they would do anything different*
                  Thank them for their time and tell them to visit us soon.

There are things that are just too annoying and time consuming when you're dealing with one person after another.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                    "IS THE SURVEY ON HERE???" I said yessir, and then got scared. Was he the boss' boss' boss' boss shopping our store???? Did I do something wrong??? I just don't know.
                    He was probably some random jerk who looks for opportunities to put lowly cashiers in their place. Probably makes him feel big.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth SuckMyFuxkCustomers View Post
                      There are things that are just too annoying and time consuming when you're dealing with one person after another.
                      Oh good grief, yes! We have to give the whole spiel at my job too*. I want to know, what management genius thought that was a good idea?! It's annoying to the employees to have to say that same speech over and over, it irritates the hell out of the customers, who then get P.O.ed at us, it slows the line down, which also irritates the customers. No good can come of it. Maybe one in 500 customers will buy whatever it is we're pushing. It's just a lot of work and aggravation for a pittance. There's no point.

*We're supposed to give the spiel, but very few of us actually do. I get tired of getting snapped at, as do my coworkers, plus it's very wearing on the vocal chords. Corporate wants to shill this crap, they can get their own highly-paid arses behind the registers and do it themselves for 4-8 hours a day every day!
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Oh good grief, yes! We have to give the whole spiel at my job too*. I want to know, what management genius thought that was a good idea?! It's annoying to the employees to have to say that same speech over and over, it irritates the hell out of the customers, who then get P.O.ed at us, it slows the line down, which also irritates the customers. No good can come of it. Maybe one in 500 customers will buy whatever it is we're pushing. It's just a lot of work and aggravation for a pittance. There's no point.

*We're supposed to give the spiel, but very few of us actually do. I get tired of getting snapped at, as do my coworkers, plus it's very wearing on the vocal chords. Corporate wants to shill this crap, they can get their own highly-paid arses behind the registers and do it themselves for 4-8 hours a day every day!
                        AMEN sister/brother

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                          AMEN sister/brother
                          Sister. The avatar (courtesy of Midnight12) looks like a slimmer, cute cartoon version of me.
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            The avatar... looks like ...me.
                            Yes in your case, but generalizing that assumption about avvies can lead to hilarity in some cases, and scar your dreams in others. (I'm lookin' at you, Irv! )

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Yes in your case, but generalizing that assumption about avvies can lead to hilarity in some cases, and scar your dreams in others. (I'm lookin' at you, Irv! )
                              True enough, if you looked like your avatar, that would cause some problems. Like getting mobbed at Disney World.
                              My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X