Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sickbay

Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Store Manager

I will have three incisions - one for the camera, and two for the ovaries. They aren't doing a total hysterectomy; they're leaving my ovaries in.

I'm okay with it. Better three small scars than one huge one.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 AM
Insomniac with Cable TV

Quote:
Quoth Luna Baby View Post
I joined HysterSisters soon after my surgery. Mostly just to read other's stories/inquiries to know I wasn't alone. Very good site, especially considering I did suffer from depression.

One other thing to note-many hysterectomies are now done laparoscopic. I had no incisions externally. Everything was taken out vaginally.
Mine was DaVinci. I had a robot work on me <geeksquee> Though I have 5 small scars on my abdomen from the deal, they did reuse one from a previous lap operation.

I really hate when people ask me about recovery times, hells bells, I drove myself home the day after I had a parathyroid section [I wanted to spend the night in the hotel next to the hospital, they just glued and steristripped my throat together and I sleep about as still as a flopping fish, so I wanted to be near an ER just in case!] I know that I was told to take it easy for 4 weeks, back to work after 2 weeks but I was 'normal' in 1 week, for my personal value of normal. I have an insane pain threshold and tolerance, and for a diabetic I heal amazingly fast [probably because it is solidly under control, I don't tend to waver much outside 6.5- 6.7 and have been there for about 10 years.]

Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Whipping Boy

I got one only a year ago.

It was a laprascopic--only a couple cuts, drew out the uterus through the vagina, so I only stayed the night.

They gave me an enema beforehand, and that was the worst part. It was pretty awful.

The surgery was fine, but afterward, I cried for no apparent reason. Until I realized that they had taken everything (for good reason--there were tumors). I was feeling SOOO sad until an old friend came to visit me. I wish the nurses would have reminded me that I was having menopausal reactions. My friend was there with a little fan, bless him. It squirted water and fanned me and felt wonderful to a menopausal woman not yet 50. Hot flashes suuuuck.

I ended up taking estrovan for a few months and it worked out very well. There was no pain from the surgery and you can't see the scars.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Store Manager

Monday is the day! Laparoscopic hysterectomy!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Store Manager

Well, Monday is still the day, but they want to check me into the hospital on Sunday morning. I was told to eat a light breakfast and nothing else before coming in at 11.

The word "enema" cropped up, and I imagine, given the type of procedure this is, that they want to keep an eye on me so they can be positive I don't eat or drink anything after midnight. I know full well why I can't do that, and I won't, but I can see why they'd want to be sure.

Now I'm beginning to freak out. I thought I had another full day before going in, and I still need to vacuum and do the dishes, finish packing, and lay in a supply of groceries that won't go bad during the time I'm in the hospital. I had hoped to make several meals to freeze, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Fingers crossed!

Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Loanshark IT

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Store Manager

Just a few new groceries. I've thrown a lot of stuff in the freezer for the time being. Litter box has been emptied and refilled, packing is mostly done, dishes are mostly done, clothing is dry and put away. The place could do with a good cleaning, but I flaked on buying vacuum-cleaner bags, among other things.

I got together with two guys I know tonight, and invited them to visit me in the hospital; let's see if they do! A friend of mine plans to visit the day after I have surgery.

I'm getting nervous - this is BIG surgery - but I also know full well how miserable this cycle has left me for so long. The surgery is long overdue!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Purgatory escapee

Best of luck that everything goes smoothly. I had the exact same procedure 15 years ago, and let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The recuperation was actually easy, as I had been in excruciating pain beforehand, and the "healing" pain was much less. Take it easy, rest up, and enjoy the fact that Aunt Flo will never visit again!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Repair Monkey

*HUG* Hope it went well!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Store Manager

I'm home now.

I'll write more later. Suffice it to say, the surgery was longer and more complicated than anyone, even the doctors, suspected. I was in the hospital from Sunday (the 6th) until today. And I needed every day of it.

The offending organ is now gone. The stitches are out. It's recovery time.