This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me for being pissed

We had a late job Thursday night, finishing up at midnight and me finally rolling into bed 1:00-1:30. As such, and seeing as there were no further pressing issues, we had a much deserved morning off. So I got to sleep in a bit, and I'm lying in bed still in my PJ's checking out morning tv when I get a call from my boss. A different client is throwing a fit because we're not on site. She didn't book us, so there's no reason for us to be there, but she's got important things that have to get done right away, where the f*** are we?!? My boss asks if I can head down immediately. Well I'm up anyways and seeing as it's our biggest client and that he asked rather than told me, I oblige. With a fifteen second shower and a leap into clothes, I'm at her office in 30 minutes to find out what the big emergency is.

The first thing is an issue for next week. To be more specific, I am NOT TO work on it at all today. The second thing is going over plans for next week, plans that I already had, plans that I already went through with her, plans that neither of us have any questions about. The third thing is finally some work for today. Oh, but it's just moving some random stuff around, do it anytime. The fourth thing, a status report. A report that she already had, a report that we already went through, a report where we're just going over the same things we talked about two days ago.

In the middle of this she asks if I'm okay; I look upset. (brings to mind a quote from The Punisher) "Upset? Is that the word? I used to get upset. When I got a flat tire, when a plane was delayed. I used to get *upset* when the Yankees won the series. So if that's what upset means, what am I feeling now? If you know the word, tell me because I don't." Upset?!? Me?!? No, not at all. I just love being pulled out of bed on my morning off and racing down like a bat out of hell to handle issues that can wait. Instead of being honest, I just tell her that I'm just tired, we had a late job last night. She shrugs that off and sends me on my way.

I know I wasn't jovial and chipper, I was damn pissed but I did do my best to hide it and I know I was polite and professional. But alas that wasn't good enough, despite my best efforts my face gave me away. I get a phone call from my boss telling me that the client called to complain about my attitude. I pull no punches and tell him exactly how I feel and what I did. He understands and just tells me to try to avoid her, as if I wasn't going to do that anyways.

She can yell, rant, rave, do whatever she wants and I have to like it. I frown and she's complaining about me. I hate that bitch.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

dont you wish you could hand her a nice size bill for wasting your time?

Comment

yes, bill for wasting time, lack of thinking/consideration and a hefty 'total dumbass' fee for not being a competent client.

christ, how do people like that manage to get positions that they can't handle??
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

A common solution for situations like that (slightly modified):

1. Emergency call-out fee. Make it hefty.

2. Per-hour charge for time not booked in advance, minimum X hours. The charge must be higher than your usual rate.

3. 75% or more of the emergency call-out fee goes to the person being called out. The rest, minus overhead that pays for the office, is a PITA charge that goes to the poor schmuck who took the call.

4. The bulk of the per-hour charge also goes to the person being called out, only the overhead needed for office support goes to the business.

5. If the company is unknown to you, or has a habit of disputing payments, the call-out fee and the minimum must be paid in advance.

That way you can smile thinking about the money -you- will be getting for this, and what a dumbass she is.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My husband had constant problems of this sort with one client of his. Everything was an emergency according to this idiot. In fact, he was just impatient as hell and not very good at prioritizing.

Hubby's company instituted a "rush job" pricing policy that nearly doubled my husband's hourly billing rate for this client. The client was informed of this but didn't seem to care. He continued to call at odd hours for stupid shit, and my husband continued to bill him these exorbitant rates.

Finally, the client's BOSS called my husband's company to find out what the hell was going on with these ridiculous bills. A quick explanation from hubby, and the client's boss actually apologized, promised to pay the bill, and said he'd "deal" with the client.

Its nice that the phone doesn't ring at 3 AM anymore, although my husband admits those fat paychecks were pretty sweet.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Wow, just wow.... you did that bitch a favor & then she had the nerve to complain about you????

I think that should be the last favor that you ever do for her. I know that I would not do anymore for her after that!
            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

If my boss can charge that, horray for him. Me, I'm happy with the two half hours I gave myself at the beginning and end of day, plus the fact that seeing as I had virtually nothing to do, I got to sit around, catch up on my paperwork, organize my tool box, and do crossword puzzles and soduko all day

A small consolation for putting up with this crap.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
              X