This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    Applying for the benefit . . . does that mean unemployment? Can you do that in the UK if you're fired for cause?
    Yep, it used to be called the "unemployment benefit" but now it's "Job Seeker Support" (blech). OP is in NZ like me

My understanding is after you leave paid employment, you're put on a 13-week stand-down before receiving payments (unless you can prove hardship). Whether you were fired or quit doesn't majorly impact this. Maybe you have to wait longer?
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

• Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
      Yep, it used to be called the "unemployment benefit" but now it's "Job Seeker Support" (blech). OP is in NZ like me

My understanding is after you leave paid employment, you're put on a 13-week stand-down before receiving payments (unless you can prove hardship). Whether you were fired or quit doesn't majorly impact this. Maybe you have to wait longer?
      I would guess that any application for benefits is going to be looked at extra close, and prolly subject to frequent audits since i doubt they can ban him outright. That's assuming there was no financial fraud here (i haven't followed the thread closely, this was an attempt, right?), then they might be able to dock him that before he sees payment.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

• A quite satisfying update. Thank you!

Comment

Applying for the benefit . . . does that mean unemployment? Can you do that in the UK if you're fired for cause?
          In the UK, you can ONLY apply if you're fired for cause; doesn't mean you'll get it, of course, but being made jobless without any choice or say in the matter is essential. If you quit, you have to survive for 6 months unless you qualify for any other benefit in the meantime, and they're usually less than useless when it comes to covering even the most basic expenses.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

• Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            In the UK, you can ONLY apply if you're fired for cause; doesn't mean you'll get it, of course, but being made jobless without any choice or say in the matter is essential. If you quit, you have to survive for 6 months unless you qualify for any other benefit in the meantime, and they're usually less than useless when it comes to covering even the most basic expenses.
            I think there's some confusion. In the states, you typically can only be eligible for unemployment if you lose your job without cause. This means under no fault of your own. So, if you were laid off, the company went out of business, or something else happened that was beyond your control, then you can apply for unemployment benefits.

If you quit, or lost your job WITH cause (usually after three documented write-ups where you made a mistake or did something wrong), then you are not eligible for those benefits, and you must apply for some other benefit like welfare.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

• Quoth thehuckster View Post
              I think there's some confusion. In the states, you typically can only be eligible for unemployment if you lose your job without cause. This means under no fault of your own. So, if you were laid off, the company went out of business, or something else happened that was beyond your control, then you can apply for unemployment benefits.

If you quit, or lost your job WITH cause (usually after three documented write-ups where you made a mistake or did something wrong), then you are not eligible for those benefits, and you must apply for some other benefit like welfare.
              Ah right. Well, I've been fired for multiple reasons & none of them have affected my right to claim. As I say, you're never guaranteed to get benefit anyway but I've no personal experience of a firing so powerful that it also denied me the benefits that usually accompanied it.

Unlike in the US, benefits have nothing to do with the company you've left; this may have some significant bearing on the matter. I've been encouraged to quit, certainly, and in such a situation I would have been automatically ineligible for benefit unless I could later prove it was "constructive dismissal" - and that road's a hard one to take. In fact once I did quit because it was an unbearable situation, and I didn't get unemployment but I did get a different benefit that helped a little.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

• The US is alot like the EU in some ways. Over 50 states and territories, and over 50 laws regarding unemployment. Everything is different from state to state.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

• Anything new to report?

Comment

• The wheels of justice move slow.

Turns out Mr Wheresmycar is pushing back against being interview by the boys in blue. Also turns out he's economical in the truth in a number of ways...such as his fathers job with said thin blue line...

However he (or rather his 'Super (expensive) lawyer) is 'negotiating' with the police about coming in for an interview....
                    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

• Which looks oh so good for his case. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if Super (expensive) Lawyer turns out to be, at best, two out of three.
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

• Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                        However he (or rather his 'Super (expensive) lawyer) is 'negotiating' with the police about coming in for an interview....
                        I'm not sure how this can be 'negotiated', I was under the impression either you come in or find yourself in contempt...

Comment

• Quoth eltf177 View Post
                          I'm not sure how this can be 'negotiated', I was under the impression either you come in or find yourself in contempt...
                          Arrests work differently depending on jurisdiction and legal system. For example an official arrest in Sweden is done quite late in the legal process compared to the American system. You still have the trial, questioning, etc. but the details on how it's done aren't exactly the same everywhere.

It also depends on the criminal charges that are being filed. More serious crimes (e.g. violent ones) there's less negotiating before hand than white collar crimes such as insurance fraud.
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

• Still, it shows Mr. Wheresmycar isn't too interested in getting this mystery solved anytime soon...

Comment

• Quoth eltf177 View Post
                              In the US, you can lawyer up and not talk to the police at all. In fact, the Constitution encourages this.

Can't remember but isn't Timmy in the UK? It may work differently there.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Can't remember but isn't Timmy in the UK? It may work differently there.
                                New Zealand if I remember correctly.
                                My Backloggery page

Comment

Working...
                                X