This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing: In which general awfulness is confirmed

Today I had to have a talk with that kid I watch on Saturdays, regarding why people do bad things to each other. He was curious because earlier this week he, and every other kid on his school bus, got to watch as an suv dragging a Black man along the pavement from the rear passenger door drove past them. The Black man in question ended up dead a couple of blocks away after he either pulled free or was thrown free, and crashed through a fence in somebody's yard.

The kid reports that the man's clothes were tearing off and that he was bleeding everywhere. I explained to him that people just do nasty things, and if you get a group of them together they do them to each other. Furthermore, the two worst things in the world that a person can be are stupid and cruel, and that he should do everything he can to avoid being those two things. God knows the world has enough people in it who are happy and proud to be both. Then I closed with that nugget of wisdom from Mr. Rogers about looking for the helpers if ever the news upsets or scares you.

The kid seemed satisfied and now, fortified with chicken nuggets, he is presently throwing a basketball more or less in the general direction of a basketball hoop and will continue to do so for the next five hours with undiminished enthusiasm. Me? I'm considerably less satisfied. I mean, seriously... What kind of a fucking awful world are we living in?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Yeah, that's an excellent question. The news this week has been just extremely upsetting.

Sounds like you did a really good job with the kid, though. I really like your advice to him.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Jeez, that's a bunch of kids who are probably scarred.

Unrelated, but apparently Mr Rogers helped us all be able to record tv shows, and said that it wouldn't be copyright infringement. Quote from his testimony: Very frankly, I am opposed to people being programmed by others. My whole approach in broadcasting has always been "You are an important person just the way you are. You can make healthy decisions."
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Yeah, that's an excellent question. The news this week has been just extremely upsetting.
        Indeed.

Today in the town just south of us there was a stand-off involving five police departments and a S.W.A.T. team. I have no idea what happened, but several people were involved.

But honestly, I have never been surprised by things like these. I never say "What is this world coming to?" because I don't think it's come to this point. It's been at this point for centuries. We're just more aware of it due to media.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

At least the bad news in Britain this weekend is mainly about *natural* disasters. Gales, flooding, that sort of thing.

In fact, it's so wet that there's flooding in the *Lake District*. Which, being home to the statistically wettest places in the country, isn't exactly unprepared for the occasional deluge.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
            I explained to him that people just do nasty things, and if you get a group of them together they do them to each other. Furthermore, the two worst things in the world that a person can be are stupid and cruel, and that he should do everything he can to avoid being those two things. God knows the world has enough people in it who are happy and proud to be both.
            Excellent explanation and advice. I think you did very well there.

That's a horrible thing for those kids to see; I hope there are counselors at the school who can help the other kids through that experience.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had to have a chat with my oldest about school shootings and how to use his gaming knowledge against a school shooter. It makes me sad that we have to have this kind of chat with our kids, but this is the world we do live in and I want him to keep on living in it.

Mr Rogers is right, though. You have to look for the helpers... those that pull together and help their fellow humans, otherwise fear wins.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Usually when my son asks about something on the news I tell him people make bad decisions, they go down the wrong path etc. I don't want to demonize to him anyone who has ever done something wrong and who maybe regrets it now.

But when he asked me about ISIS I had to tell him that some people are just bad. There is something wrong in their brains that makes them want to hurt other people and they will use religion/race/age/gender/whatever as an excuse.

But there are far more good people that bad people in the world, and as long as it stays that way the bad people can never win.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
                X