Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brrrrrr! (plus, I'm thankful for past jobs).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow last week, rain and gales this weekend.

I've put the winter tyres on my bicycle and bought new warm socks and long-johns.

Should be okay...

Comment

I live in Michigan. The weather so far this fall/winter has been so... odd. First week of November..nice and warm...freaking 60's and 70's. Second week of November freaking cold..like 30's and 40's with a healthy dose of rain. Third week of November not too warm, not too cold...perfect. Just perfect. Now this past week.. we've gone from freezing cold and snowy to cold, rainy and warming up. I no longer know how to dress appropriately for the weather so I dress normally and hope for the best.

Comment

^ same here. It's utterly ridiculous. I do know one thing: I'm returning the sweaters I bought. It's not even cold enough.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

It has been seriously chilly here, in the twenties at night. Three blankets of differing thickness on the bed, two cats and a husband and I'm just about warm enough.

BTW, what is the best/fastest way to de-ice a car's windows? The rear window defroster works wonderfully, wish they could've put that on all the windows. Front window defroster is a joke.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            BTW, what is the best/fastest way to de-ice a car's windows? The rear window defroster works wonderfully, wish they could've put that on all the windows. Front window defroster is a joke.
            I've tried the spray but I find a good scraper is faster if you put some elbow grease in it. I like the kind with the short handle because I get more leverage.

Comment

You may be able to find a tarp to cover the windscreen overnight. If you can jam it in the side doors so that it also protects the front windows, so much the better (you need to have those clear too).

Otherwise, the easiest method is to turn up the heat and wait for it to melt from the inside.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                One thing you NEVER do is get the engine warmed up, then turn on the defroster full blast. You're creating a thermal shock (sudden hot air onto cold glass) that can cost you your windshield. Instead, either turn on the defroster as soon as you start the engine (air warms up gradually), or if you start with warm coolant (block heater, remote starter, etc.), set the heat dial to low, and gradually turn it up.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Hmmm it's been between mid 20s to mid 30s here, in Celsius.... Sometimes being in the Southern Hemisphere is great.

Winter here never really gets below 12-15C as a high, sometimes up in the hills might get a few degrees below zero, but not by much.

Comment

It's currently 9:22pm Eastern Time and I'm posting from North West Michigan...where it's currently 57°F and rainy. Fifty seven degrees folks... in December. We're supposed to drop into the 30's later this week and finally get snow...but I'm kind of doubting it. We were supposed to be cold and snowy Thurs-Sat but that got changed into it warming up. I wonder if I'm going to experience my first green Christmas since moving ta MI.

Comment

It's been hovering around 70 degrees here in Northern Virginia.

Summer-like temperatures in mid-December.

WHAT THE @#$%, MOTHER NATURE? What diabolical twist are you setting us up for?!
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

^ice storms *sigh*

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                          Hmmm it's been between mid 20s to mid 30s here, in Celsius.... Sometimes being in the Southern Hemisphere is great.

Winter here never really gets below 12-15C as a high, sometimes up in the hills might get a few degrees below zero, but not by much.
                          The news here (USA) often does a "Christmas around the world" segment and shows Austrailians at the beach in their swimming suits and santa hats. That sounds like so much more fun than skiing.

Then again I think I'm getting to hate cold given my stupid bus commute. I did find a way to get home with fewer stops to stand around shivering, and in the morning, I hide in the light rail station elevator for the 20 minutes the bus takes to come. It's warmer in there than out in the wind.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I've shoveled about 18" off a 1/8 acre driveway in the last 36 hours... More tomorrow evening!
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

It's been extremely mild here. Some days I get away with a sweater and T-shirt. But during the really cold winters I layer, layer, layer: tank top, knit top, sweater, coat, scarf or wrap. I wear knee-high socks and boots whether I'm wearing pants or a skirt. Skirt-wearing requires tights under the socks. If it's single digits I will wear the mid-calf length puffer coat. It's big and ugly but it does the job. Anything above 10 and it's one of the fabric or wool coats with layers. Sometimes I pull out the medium-weight wool full-length with the giant hood, but not often. That's my dress coat and I'd like to keep the velvet hood lining in good condition.

Comment

The mild weather is horrible for business. We can't give away our winter bedding, outerwear or sporting goods, and that shit keeps coming in on the trucks. This would normally be the time that that stuff would be flying out the door.

Plus around here it just seems like people don't know it's Christmas yet, because it's been so warm.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X