This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Say the Darndest Things!

This incident was just too cute for words.

This happened while I was acting as an intern teacher in a 3rd grade classroom. (At this point I had taken over the classroom and my mentor teacher mostly sat in the background and helped me when I needed it.)

We took our class on a field trip to a live orchestra so they could hear classical music. I sat with two rows of our students, while my mentor teacher took the last row of students (this row included our talkers, because they sure as shit weren't going to run their mouths with my mentor teacher sitting with them. She was scary like that). I happened to be seated next to one of our quieter girls, who I got along with very well.

The show started, and in the middle of the first song the girl next to me got my attention and asked, "Is that them playing?"

At first I didn't understand what she was asking, so I asked her what she meant.

Student: "Is that them playing the music?"

Me: "That's them playing, yes."

She honestly wasn't sure if the orchestra was creating the music or if they had a stereo set up to play a CD. Obviously someone needs to visit the orchestra more often.
    Last edited by Moosenogger; 03-18-2012, 08:02 AM.

That's cute!

Down here I do two rounds of "internship" for my teaching degree. The first round is 1 week of observation, plus 20 days of actual work. The second round is 2 weeks of observation (one before school starts and one during the first term) plus 30-40 days of actual work (so around six-eight weeks). My first round is coming up in July this year. I can't wait .
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Not teaching related, but still kid related...

My sister is an avid yard-saler. As such, she buys all kinds of movies on VHS and DVD for dirt cheap. One day I was babysitting and they said they wanted to watch whatever movie. So I try to help them look for it, and start looking through the DVDs. One of them says "No, it's a fat movie!"

Me: Um, what?

Nephew: You're looking at the skinny movies! The one we want is a fat one!

They didn't know the terms DVD and VHS (or even tape) so they just called the VHS ones "fat" because, well, they are fatter than DVDs!

Comment

If she was older than (eight or so?), I could certainly understand; from Milli Vanilli to the Beijing Olympics, syncing is certainly prevalent enough to question a live performance.
        But I guess she hasn't made the connections between certain sounds and certain instruments yet. So hearing a violin and seeing someone sawing away at a little guitar held up to their face isn't very ingrained. Kudos to you and mentor for helping them along!

Comment

One of my friends has an 8 year old daughter, who is really getting into science in a big way. She asked her dad what 'quantum' physics was.

Her dad, an uber-geek, told her about the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment.

He says...

"Imagine you put a cat in a box with a poison pill. The cat may or may not decide to eat the pill. Close the lid.

Now, the cat is both alive and dead at the same time, and you can't tell which it actually is until you open the lid and look."

A pretty basic description of the experiment for a child. But her response was so cool.

"Wow. That's amazing. It's both alive and dead at the same time? Wow. Does it work on dogs too?"

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
            Wow. Does it work on dogs too?"
            Snerk. My ladle djinniuses would want to know if it worked on siblings.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
              One of my friends has an 8 year old daughter, who is really getting into science in a big way. She asked her dad what 'quantum' physics was.

Her dad, an uber-geek, told her about the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment.

He says...

"Imagine you put a cat in a box with a poison pill. The cat may or may not decide to eat the pill. Close the lid.

Now, the cat is both alive and dead at the same time, and you can't tell which it actually is until you open the lid and look."

A pretty basic description of the experiment for a child. But her response was so cool.

"Wow. That's amazing. It's both alive and dead at the same time? Wow. Does it work on dogs too?"
              If it weren't for "The Big Bang Theory", I would never have known about Schrodinger's Cat.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post

A pretty basic description of the experiment for a child.
                The other fun bit about the Schrodinger's Cat example is that it was farcical. It was meant to make fun of one of the theories of unobservable particles that said very small, unviewable sub-atomic objects existed in multiple states at the same time. What he was trying to get across was that just because something is unobservable, it doesn't mean it acts differently from what can be observed. The mythical cat in the box is either alive or dead, not both at once. The chances of which state is true change based on how long the cat has been in the situation.

Schrodinger also helped launch the field of probability math, as scientists tried to figure out what the chances were of a particle being in a particular state at a given point in time.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

If the cat's in a microwave oven is it being amanalyzed?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Moosenogger, that is cute.

When we took our two year old son to the Nutcracker we were in the first row. He spent the warmup and overture with his head hanging over the pit, awed by the sounds coming from the instruments.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                      "...Wow. Does it work on dogs too?"
                      No, because we KNOW the dog will eat the pill.
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                        Moosenogger, that is cute.

When we took our two year old son to the Nutcracker we were in the first row. He spent the warmup and overture with his head hanging over the pit, awed by the sounds coming from the instruments.
                        I had that. I was in the pit for the school play and we did a performance to the Year 7 students from nearby schools, so they had an idea of what we did in high school. A few of them were hanging around the pit watching us tune up and perform .
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Bump to a great thread! Being a parent can be exasperating at times, but also so rewarding. My kids make my scream sometime, but more often than not they make me laugh!
                          Kids really do say the darndest things.

Comment

When my son was around 3 or so, he was in the mood for a snack, and asked for some chips. I brought the bag of chips, and he said, "No! Not those chips!" They were the only chips I had, so I didn't know what he wanted. Then he said, "The orange chips!"

It took me a few seconds to realize he wanted the Doritos.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My daughter was just telling me that my granddaughter loudly announced in the restaurant last night, "Oh, Mommy...I found Jesus!"

She goes to a Catholic school and they had put on some kind of Easter play in the gym yesterday, so apparently, she somehow "found Jesus." LOL
                              She also was quite excited that there had been a "t" on the stage. (She's just learning her letters, and made the connection between the cross "+" and the letter "t". LOL)
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X