This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Tech People

ok, I'm in the U.S & there is a tv series that is currently out on DVD but it's only on DVD legitimately over in the UK (for those who care, the series is "Chicago Hope" with the final season coming out this summer) I love this show, got into it after I found it on Hulu & now I've got my mom hooked on it

now, my question is, I was considering buying them from the Amazon UK site & then downloading a DVD Region Killer b/c obviously the DVDs are Region 2 & won't play as is on my computer..Will this work? I was going to put these dvd sets on my Christmas/birthday lists but I don't want my folks to buy them & the Region Killer program NOT work

Halp??
    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

DVD drives in a computer will generally let you *change* their region a few times, so that could be a backup solution. However, what you'll probably rather do is use Slysoft AnyDVD to just ignore region code altogether. DVD43 can also do it for free, but is no longer updated and may not work. Other free tools... buyer beware.

You may want to rip it with something like DVDFab and re-burn new, region-free versions.

Edit: Actually, it occurs to me that Media Player Classic Home Cinema seems to ignore region codes even without help. So there you have it. It'll play.
    Last edited by otakuneko; 03-16-2014, 09:27 PM.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

ok, so how exactly would I change the region? All of the dvd sets of other shows that I've bought thus far are all available in the US, this is the only show I like that hasn't been released over here (from what I understand, the showrunner of "Chicago Hope" David E. Kelley has never released dvd sets of his shows. Hell, "Alley McBeal" was only JUST released recently & that show has been off the air for a while)

I actually have ripped copies of all the episodes that someone got off the Discovery Health channel but they're not whole episodes, scenes & dialogue has been cut out soo I'd rather not go that route. Besides, if the sets have extras like commentary & what-not I wouldn't know how to rip that

The AnyDVD software, you've used it before? is it good? easy to use?

This Media Player Classic Home Cinema, does it work with Windows? does it cost anything or is it free?

thanks for the tips
      Last edited by CorneliaMarieRocks; 03-16-2014, 09:44 PM. Reason: adding question

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
        This Media Player Classic Home Cinema, does it work with Windows? does it cost anything or is it free?
        MPC-HC is a free program.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

ok thanks...I went to the site you linked to & poked around, I did see it mentioned that Media Player Classic doesn't allow Region 2 dvds to be played, dunno how true that is, so I poked around on my laptop & I found how to change the region so I think I'll just stick with that..If I change the region on the laptop dvd player, it stays at region 2 until I go back in & change it again right?

Thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated

Comment

Careful! A lot of drives will only let you change it 5 times, and then it is forever locked, on whatever it was changed to the fifth time. Ripping it as an ISO is the best option, as that will make a file that will act JUST like the DVD, menus commentary and all, and you can reburn that ISO back to DVD with no region code.

Comment

If you plan to buy a lot of DVDs from Region 2 (which includes all of Europe, plus Japan for some reason) but also from Region 1 (which covers North America), then you might want to fit TWO DVD drives to your computer, with one set to each region.

That's unless you can get a DeCSS equipped player to work. Then you'll only need one drive.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info...Naw, I don't intend to buy Region 2 all the time, it's just this particular show, which, like I said, for some reason DEK is resistant to releasing his shows on dvd..Now, maybe sometime down the line he may release 'Chicago Hope' in the U.S but I'm impatient so I'm not gonna wait years for that to happen

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                  ok thanks...I went to the site you linked to & poked around, I did see it mentioned that Media Player Classic doesn't allow Region 2 dvds to be played, dunno how true that is, so I poked around on my laptop & I found how to change the region so I think I'll just stick with that..If I change the region on the laptop dvd player, it stays at region 2 until I go back in & change it again right?

Thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated
                  I played an R4 dvd with MPC-HC just fine...
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I use VLC, which ignores regions, but you'd still have to deal with hardware locks. I'd not start switching your region settings around if your hardware is locked, either find a software workaround or go iso like was mentioned upthread.

It'd be important to know whether or not it was your drive that was locked, though- try software you KNOW ignores regions and see what happens.

Comment

How would I be able to tell without actually having to have a R2 disc whether it was the hardware or software? All the dvd sets I have are R1
                      Sorry for all the stupid questions, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous

I actually have VLC player on an external hard drive somewhere, I'll try that first & see what happens. I likely won't be getting these sets until Christmas so I'll have time to poke around online & see what's out there

And just to go off-topic just a bit, FYI for anyone thinking of getting a NetBook DON'T..I made the mistake of getting one & because Google Chrome is the OS, NOTHING that works on a Windows based computer will work. I'm working off of my mom's Windows 7 laptop currently & it's sooo much better
                      Last edited by CorneliaMarieRocks; 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM. Reason: hit post to quick

Comment

You'd need to test with a different region's disc, yeah. If you can figure out the exact model of the drive, I could try looking up whether it is region locked or not.

Comment

hmm, well, I dunno the exact model of the drive, BUT I can tell you the laptop itself is the Vaio Fit series if that helps at all

Comment

Nah, prebuilts can use a variety of different parts, or revisions of parts. Really, if I were you, I'd just get the DVDs, try using VLC(which will straight up ignore regional locks on many opticals) and make an ISO if VLC/your other preferred software doesn't work- it's not worth stressing over the dumbshittery of a ten dollar computer part.

"Does VLC support DVDs from all regions?

This mostly depends on your DVD drive. Testing it is usually the quickest way to find out. The problem is that a lot of newer drives are RPC2 drives these days. Some of these drives don't allow raw access to the drive untill the drive firmware has done a regioncheck. VLC uses libdvdcss and it needs raw access to the DVD drive to crack the encryption key. So with those drives it is impossible to circumvent the region protection. (This goes for all software. You will need to flash your drives firmware, but sometimes there is no alternate firmware available for your drive). On other RPC2 drives that do allow raw access, it might take VLC a long time to crack the key. So just pop the disc in your drive and try it out, while you get a coffee. RPC1 drives should 'always' work regardless of the regioncode."
                            Last edited by Sleepwalker; 03-19-2014, 02:34 AM. Reason: stuff

Comment

Actually, netbooks are great if you don't use Windows anyway. Although they are a little underpowered.

Comment

Working...
                              X