Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matter how much you argue, it's still alcohol.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter how much you argue, it's still alcohol.

Some years ago I worked in the Endoscopy department of a hospital. (If you don't know what an Endoscopy is, look it up. It's one of the more... entertaining departments to work in.) Now, as we are NOT evil, sadistic bastards, patients recieve a couple of seditives before undergoing the *ahem* procedure, which makes said procedure easier on both the patient and the doctor. It generally takes them 20-30 minutes to wake up and get back on their feet after getting into the recovery room. At this point we fetch their friend/family member who has been waiting in the waiting room. Said friend/family member is given, read to, and made to sign a nice, clear, concise set of information and instructions for the patient (friend/family member signs it because the patient is still sedated), mostly things like "take it easy today", "no driving", "if you start bleeding call 911", and "NO ALCOHOL". (Being that seditives + alcohol = Very Bad). It always astounded me how much trouble people had with this last one (what, hospital-grade controlled substances aren't enough for you??).
    Now, most people understand it when I explain the combined effects of alcohol and seditives to them, and leave it at that. But this guy, noooooooooo.

SP (sucky patient)
    Me (you can guess)

Me: Do you have any questions about these instructions, sir?
    SP: I can still have a beer with dinner, right?
    Me: Sir, the doctor's directions are that you are not to drink ANY alcohol.
    SP: But it's just one beer, that can't really hurt me.
    Me: It's still alcohol, sir, and you really shouldn't drink any. You're still under the influence of seditives, and alcohol and seditives don't mix well. You could potentially put yourself into a coma by mixing them.
    SP: Aw, c'mon, it's just one beer. That's barely anything at all!
    Me (getting impatient): It's alcohol. Doctor's orders are, no alcohol. Your beer can wait for tomorrow. Today you need to rest.
    SP: I'm going to rest. I'm going to go home and take a nap, and then I'll just have one beer with dinner. That'll be ok, right?
    Me: No, not really. Alcohol is bad for you right now.
    SP: I'll just have one with dinner, and that's all, ok? That shouldn't hurt me, right?
    Me: It could.
    SP: But not really, right? I mean, it's just one beer.
    Me: *grits teeth and goes to take care of someone else*

Why are you arguing with me?? I mean, I'm not going to follow you home and snatch your beer out of your hand. If you're really dead-set on it, I can't stop you. Do you want me to lie to you so you can blame me if you end up in the ER? Or do you, in your 7-year-old worldview, actually belive that by getting me to countermand the doctor's orders, you can change the shape of reality and sincerely make it OK to drink alcohol with seditives in your system??
    What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

I can understand your side, because you do work in the medical field, and you have to be strict with procedures...

However, to be fair, sedatives + alcohol (does NOT) = coma

They'll either cause you to pass out for a few hours... or they'll kill you... not a coma

Also, the guys an idiot, just do to the fact that he's asking. That just means that he doesn't know how the chemicals react in him, and therefore shouldn't be risking it at all. Someone who knows their body wouldn't even bother asking, they'd just have the beer
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post

They'll either cause you to pass out for a few hours... or they'll kill you... not a coma
      This is true. However, 'coma' is easier to convince a patient of, since every sucky customers KNOWS they are actually imortal. 'Coma' means hospital bills, which are somehow a better deterrent than death. And while yes, I know the whole 'absolutely no alcohol' thing is an overreaction by a hospital that is trying desperately not to get sued, I'm still not going to tell the idiot it's OK.
      What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

I don't blame you, I wouldn't either
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

this is the type who needs a special release form so the doctor can't be sued for malpractice because he can't figure out that 'one beer' is still alcohol.

although, for the sake of the species, maybe he's really better off that way
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Absolutely no alcohol is a good idea with hospital-grade sedatives. One never knows how sensitive they are to mixing those.

It's only 24 hours. Deal with it.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I'm going to partially disagree on the evil & sadistic part. The last time I was in, well only time, the nurse didn't like how the I.V. was in the back of my hand. Now, I had warned her that I have issues with needles already, and asked her to take it out and put it back in if she wanted to adjust it. Instead she just wiggles it around in my veins. At which point I started getting light headed from the feeling of the needle moving in the back of my hand and tried to lean forward to get the blood flow back into my head. Nurse Ratchet puts her hand in the middle of my chest and shoves me back into a sitting position. The lightheadedness catches up with me and I

Actually, that's what happened after I passed out. After feeling the needle wiggling in my vein... Ugh... I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

When I woke up, I did overhear the nurse talking about how pathetic I was.

I know I'm not the only person with a mental block over needles and I'd expect a nurse to have at least SOME understanding of people with that kind of phobia. So, yeah, the nurses in the Endoscopy unit I went to are not exactly warm & fuzzy...

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                I'm going to partially disagree on the evil & sadistic part. The last time I was in, well only time, the nurse didn't like how the I.V. was in the back of my hand. Now, I had warned her that I have issues with needles already, and asked her to take it out and put it back in if she wanted to adjust it. Instead she just wiggles it around in my veins. At which point I started getting light headed from the feeling of the needle moving in the back of my hand and tried to lean forward to get the blood flow back into my head. Nurse Ratchet puts her hand in the middle of my chest and shoves me back into a sitting position. The lightheadedness catches up with me and I

Actually, that's what happened after I passed out. After feeling the needle wiggling in my vein... Ugh... I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

I know I'm not the only person with a mental block over needles and I'd expect a nurse to have at least SOME understanding of people with that kind of phobia. So, yeah, the nurses in the Endoscopy unit I went to are not exactly warm & fuzzy...
                I hope you managed to barf all over her.
                "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

That's fucked up. Hopefully you got some puke on Nurse Bitch. Alcohol is alcohol. no if's and's or but's about it and that'll do some serious damage mixing narcotics with it.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

*raises her hand* That's me. I hate hate hate needles. Just thinking of one makes my skin crawl. Though, I think I'm not as bad off as you. I haven't quite passed out from them yet, then again, I haven't had evil nurse bitch yet. *shudders*

On topic: It sounded like the guy kept asking to get you to relent and say "Well, as long as it's just one beer, you'll be okay." Sad that he can't live without booze for one day >.>
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Idiots and their booze

We have a favorite one in the pharmacy. There's this medication called Flagyl. Now, there are a lot of medications that say "do not take with alcohol", sedatives, pain killers, even a lot of maintenance meds. But people don't seem to understand that with Flagyl, we MEAN it. If you drink, you will vomit, up to two days after taking the stuff. We're talking violent, projectile vomiting.
                      And, of course, we get people calling in, saying that their medicine has made them sick. And, of course, they claim they don't drink, at all. Why don't they listen...

So, as a public service announcement, if you ever have to take Flagyl, or metronidazole, don't drink with it. Don't use alcohol-based mouthwash, and if you're really sensitive to side-effects, or your stomach's dodgy, don't use anything alcohol based on your skin: perfume, certain topical antibiotics.

And, please, if you do, don't call me to tell me I was right.
                      http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

I had a rude bitch nurse when I was in labor with my son. I was in the jacuzzi in the labor room because tax deduction #1 was taking forever to come into the world when rude bitch nurse came in for a blood sample for some reason. She wasn't friendly at all. I stick my arm out and she ties the plastic around it and is just about to stick me when I said I had a contraction coming on. Then I repeated it because she didn't stop. My husband had to make her to stop, I didn't want a needle in my arm during a contraction, who would? She huffs, yanks off the tie and sits back on her heels with her hands crossed and a scowl on her face huffing away acting incredibly inconvenienced until my contraction was over. Then she took the blood sample with all the warmth of Dracula and stalked out.
                        I told the other nurse to keep her away from me the rest of the day.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

*le sigh*

If alcohol is THAT important to you - even "just one beer" - that you risk putting yourself in danger in order to drink one - you just might be an alcoholic and I know of a place that can help you.

Say it with me, "My name is Asshat, I am an alcoholic"
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

i know last time i was on antibiotics the dr said no alcohol, i forgot had a bottle of stella, i got home as i started to feel lightheaded and promtly threw up for an hour or so :/
                            All of these things the worker has done
                            From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
                            We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
                            And always expected to carry the can.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                              Sad that he can't live without booze for one day >.>
                              I might actually have said that to the asshat. Complete with pitying, contemptuous look. But I'm evil.

Comment

Working...
                              X