This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewpoint from the Niece of a disabled person :

Anytime we took my Aunt out to eat the last few years of her life we had to cut her food and feed it to her. She lost the ability to do that herself. We never saw it as a hassle or a chore. Simply something you do to help the people you love. There were a few times we struggled a little with something and the waiter or waitress would come over and offer to help. It was always gratefully accepted, but never expected.
    Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Yeah... about the worst I ever seem to have trouble with is opening bottles, and I will politely ask nearby coworkers, or whomever is available when I'm out by myself, to open said stupid bottle... can't get any grip on it, would you be so kind? Blah, blah, blah...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Poor old man! I can't believe how selfish they were not to do that for him instead of demanding the waitstaff do it like the EW's they are. I'm glad the husband stepped up to do it. I hope those selfish assholes get disinherited from the will.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

There is a nice steakhouse I take my wife to once every year or two that would probably have no problem cutting the guys sandwich. Of course dinner for two usually costs about $300 to $400 without drinks so go figure.
          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I wonder if that poor old man is lucid enough to know just how little his family feels about helping him.

I hope he's leaving his estate to the Humane Society, or a similar organization.

Comment

I'm glad you stood up for yourself and didn't cave in. Next thing they would've asked you is to hand feed the old fart. My motto is, Give them a inch they'll take a mile
              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Where did they think they were eating, a nursing home?
                That's most likely where the poor guy spends most of his time. Reading the story, I get the feeling that taking him out to eat with the family is a rare thing.
                My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

In the time they bitched at you to cut it in pieces, they could have done it themselves.

Comment

Usually when someone refers to "the help" they are referring to their own personal employees, like housekeeper, butler, etc. Apparently this women is under the impression that you are their own personal employee and you work for no one else. Makes sense considering how she was treating you. I'm surprised she didn't try to fire you.
                    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
                      I guess it was too much for these people to ask for the sandwich to be cut the way they needed it for him to eat it before being served?
                      That was my thought. If they needed it cut in smaller pieces, the kitchen is the best place to do it where they have the best tools and can do it in a way the make it look better then cut table side.

Comment

Ahem.

As a veteran of the food service industry for the last 25 years, I'd like to chime in here.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                        D: Look, my father needs help eating! You need to cut his food and help him eat!

D: You are "the help" aren't you? Well you aren't doing a very good job of helping, are you?!
                        Ma'am, I am a server, not a servant. There is a huge difference, one you seem to not understand. My job as a food server is to take your order, bring you your food and drinks, refill your drinks as necessary, provide any side orders you may need, clear your plates, and take payment from you, all in a friendly and efficient manner, of which I do a spectacular job, if I do say so myself. My job is also to make your visit here as comfortable as possible for you, within reason.

I'd like to repeat those last two words, because they seem to have escaped you: within reason. My job is NOT to cut up your grandfather's food or feed it to him. It never has been, and it never will be. If I had had the time, which I did not, and you had asked nicely, which you did not, I might have assisted him in some way in this endeavor.

But don't you dare tell me I am not doing my job, when I have done all that is required of me and then some admirably and efficiently, to the best of my abilities.

Now, on the other hand, YOUR job as his family is to help him out in any way you can, a job you seem to be failing at in the most miserable of fashions. Were that MY grandfather who needed assistance in dining, I would not hesitate to help him in any way that I could, because I love MY grandfather. Apparently YOUR grandfather is not important enough to you for you to lift a damn finger to help him in this most basic of necessities of his.

So, if he's not that important to YOU, why should he be that important to ME?

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                        The waiter offered to cut it up for him, ...
                        Quoth Setsunaela View Post
                        ...the manager! passed by and offered to help.
                        Quoth Seshat View Post
                        If I accidentally ordered something I discovered I was too weak to cut up, I might ask for assistance from wait staff...
                        There is a HUGE difference between having assistance offered or requested, and having it be expected. These people expected it. These people were completely fucked in the head.

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                        Next thing they would've asked you is to hand feed the old fart.
                        They basically did just that:

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                        D: Look, my father needs help eating! You need to cut his food and help him eat!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Well said Jester!!!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            Of course there's the alternative. Smile sweetly and say, "Certainly, madam. There will be a £2.95 special handling surcharge for that. Would you like me to proceed?"
                            £2.95? The hell with that.....£29.95....at least!
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

*agrees with jester*

D: You're going to need to cut up his food for him.
                              Me: Oh, well, I'm a little busy at the minute, but I can get you a knife for you to cut it.
                              D: I'm not cutting it! It's not my job!
                              no, morons, he's your relative, YOU do it. i agree, i hope his estate is left to someone/someplace more deserving.
                              look! it's ghengis khan!
                              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

If it wasn't for the fact that the poor feller in the wheelchair is likely innocent of the asinine bahavior of the rest of them, my knee jerk reaction would be to take it to the nearest blender, hit frappe, pout it all into a glass, add a straw and bring it out to them.
                                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
                                X