Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time I read about soybeans doing this or that I'm wondering if there's anything the soybean can't do.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Personally, I hate the amazing soybean. Not because of me, mind you, because my 3 year old has an allergy to soy protein.

Try finding kid friendly foods that don't contain soy nowadays. It's especially difficult because from an allergen standpoint they only have one class, soy. In truth, there should be two or three classes of soy, because it's the proteins that cause the allergy.

First off, soybean oil. Only found one that tested positive for soy protein, an expensive "artisanal" oil. Go figure. Apparently the normal processing removes any residual soy protein. His allergists agree with me, soybean oil doesn't set him off.

Secondly, there's soy protein products. Soybean meal, isolated soy protein, meat replacement products and similar. Definitely have the proteins, will trigger his allergies. This is the allergen, the protein component.

The third form of soy ingredient is the worst one, in my book. Soy lecithin used as an emulsifier. So freaking ubiquitous, you find it in everything. My personal problem with soy lecithin is that it's variable. Some of the ingredient manufacturers provide a "clean" soy lecithin with no residual soy protein. Some don't. A good example would be Ritz crackers and the generic counterpart from WalMonolith. Ritz don't trigger his allergy, but the generics do. Ingredient list is identical. I was able to get the source mfg of the lecithin from Ritz by going through my son's allergist(they wouldn't speak to me) and verify that the soy lecithin they sell is pure to five 9's (99.999%). Still working on the other one. I'm also in the process of collecting samples of soy lecithin from different manufacturers and having them tested myself.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        Let me explain. Some vegetarians/vegans have a "holier than thou" attitude that most people don't like (think the "milk/meat is murder" people). Those of us who aren't vegetarians usually ask for the same courtesy as far as our food choices that vegetarians do. We carnivores don't want to be "preached to" any more than vegetarians/vegans do.
        People who are "foodies" are like that too, and I'm glad I no longer work with one. She would rant and rave about how people who get their steaks well done are "ruining" them...and that everyone should eat them rare. Really? Some of us would rather not get sick because some restaurant screwed up. For some of us, that's the only way we can ensure that we're not going to spend the next 4 hours in the bathroom.

Nor is it really necessary to go on about how eating potato chips is going to kill me. You know what? Who the hell made you the food police? I'll eat whatever I damn well please. Don't like it? Tough shit.

Nor will not going to a certain expensive "natural" food store kill me. I'd rather not spend 90% of my take-home pay on "organic" items. I mean, it's not like the benefit has actually been *proven* yet. Along those lines, I don't care if you don't like "Gyunt Iggle" because it's a chain. Last time I checked, the "natural" place is a chain as well. Hypocrite, much?
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          And rocks and dirt aren't edible.
          Tell that to my dog.
          The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

I'm a vegan, but it was a natural progression on my part. I have never liked the taste of red meat. I would eat it when my mom made it (or else), but when I was old enough to cook on my own I would never make it.

I went full vegetarian a few years ago, but still ate eggs and dairy. The more I learned about the egg and dairy industry, the more I was turned off. This doesn't mean that I shame anyone else for what they eat. My fiancé is not vegan, but he loves my cooking. There are also a lot of health and economical factors that inhibit other people from having the same diet. Also, I never assume that other people need to accommodate my eating habits.

I've been able to remain very healthy on my diet. I recently had blood work done, and my vitamin levels were all great (except for vitamin D, which is difficult for most people living in the north east). Ironically, my fiancé was just at the doctor receiving a b12 shot, as be was having some issues. The doctor said his levels were very low.

Comment

I had a grandmother who was allergic to mint. Yes, mint. Spearmint, peppermint.. if it was mint, it set her off. Do you know how hard it is to find an adult toothpaste without mint in it? Kid's you might find bubblegum or some berry flavor, but an adult toothpaste?! Gah! (This was before Crest decided to go all fancy with their toothpaste and make different flavors.)

Not to mention Christmas time, where most things would wind up having mint in it... >.<
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                Tell that to my dog.
                My dog thinks the contents of the cat box are edible, too.

As my late stepdad used to say: Ten thousand flies like shit, but that doesn't mean I have to eat it.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  We used to called those kitty yummies. The vet it didn't hurt the dogs to eat them, but it is still disgusting.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    You beat me whenever I try to eat the cat!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X