This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    I've never needed a placard myself, but I really should have applied for one when my son broke his ankle. Every time we went somewhere, I had to pull the car up to the door, get his walker out of the trunk, hand it to him, and then find somewhere to park. By the time I thought about actually applying for one, I figured he would be walking again soon.
    I currently have one that is valid until the end of this year. I got it to use after ACL surgery. I used it 2 times - both were while we were running errands and my energy level hit a low and my pain level was hitting a high, and both times my husband had to convince me that it was okay for me to use it. The only reason I agreed both times was because there were plenty of other handicapped spots that were open.

Comment

I have a couple of somewhat disabling conditions that are diagnosed, but not officially declared to the state. Nevertheless, I have permanent work restrictions. My version of this is that people don't believe me when I tell them "I can't do X..." I don't look like anything's wrong with me. That's what makes the running-over-wheelchair incident that much more heinous. How stupid can people be??

If I ever do go on disability, I don't know if I'll have a placard, since my legs are fine. But it's a distant possibility because I know some people with the same issue end up not being able to walk very well. I know 2: my apt manager and a former customer. If that happens I absolutely look forward to the pwnage; the public needs to be educated! I don't know why they think they get to determine who needs it. There is a whole agency for that. If they want to make those decisions, they need to get that job!
      Last edited by Food Lady; 08-20-2015, 05:33 PM.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Food Lady, the mindset I run into is that "kids can't be disabled". Combine that with some people thinking that the parking permit should only belong to the driver, and I've had some interesting confrontations. I try not to respond at all, but if I'm forced to say something, it's usually to the effect of "that's between me, my child and his doctor. I'm under no obligation to disclose confidential medical information". I have had people call the cops on me which means I've come out to find the cops demanding to see the parking placard, the registration for said placard and the child's ID. It's annoying, but I produce them and the cop and I go on our merry way. Twice the idiot who made the call got ripped by the cop involved for wasting his time. Once because I exited the store with the kid in his chair and he didn't even bother to ask for the paperwork because it was obvious and the second time I actually walked out to find the cop already yelling at the idiot because he recognized my van.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
        X