This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Doesn't Buy Class

Short one from my coworker, M. She was telling this woman about either an app or a card we have, both money-savers. We are supposed to talk to everyone about these. The arrogant sucktomer said "Do I look like I need to save money?" Ugh; even if it's true, you don't say it out loud, especially to a retail slave who is possibly on food stamps. Anyway, she then looked at the customer behind her before leaving her empty cart in that customer's way. My only comfort in hearing this is knowing that she showed her butthole to the world, as witnessed by others around her.

Things I wished M had said:

"The more you save, the more you can give to your favorite charities!" (knowing she probably doesn't)

"Looks are deceiving."

"Then why are you shopping at a discount store?"

"Life is funny. Anyone can lose anything at any time, including wealth."
    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-16-2015, 03:36 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Since I don't want to get fired, my typical response to this kind of attitude is a smile and a reminder that I'm a simple minion following orders.

If I didn't care about my job, I'd come back with something along the lines of "yeah, but it's been my experience that the ones with the most money are also the cheapest tightwads in the world".
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Oh great, these people actually exist. There's a commercial like this, was hoping that the only people who actually said that sort of thing was a parody, but nope, they exist.

Awesome. -_-
      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Ugh, that reminded me about a bank customer who called in asking for a credit line increase. I had to ask her, as required, for income and employment info. She was a doctor making over $100K a year. Then I asked, AS REQUIRED, if she rents or owns her home (need housing payment per month, if any). She flipped the fuck out. "I just told you how much money I make! Why on earth would I be renting?! OF COURSE I OWN MY HOME!!!" Calm down, ya psycho.
        Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Yes and

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
          Ugh, that reminded me about a bank customer who called in asking for a credit line increase. I had to ask her, as required, for income and employment info. She was a doctor making over $100K a year. Then I asked, AS REQUIRED, if she rents or owns her home (need housing payment per month, if any). She flipped the fuck out. "I just told you how much money I make! Why on earth would I be renting?! OF COURSE I OWN MY HOME!!!" Calm down, ya psycho.
          If you rent, you only own what your rental contract for the year says you have to pay, if you own a house you can own a major mortgage that is more than the present value of that home.

Example, I inherited a condo that is lucky fully pay off but if it had not been I would have owned money on the place.

Originally that condo was worth $240K, today it is only worth $78K. Just because someone makes tons of money and own a house does not mean they are in fact financially in the positive.

The more and louder they protest, the more likely they are not as well off as they try to impress others to think.
          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 08-16-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
            "I just told you how much money I make! Why on earth would I be renting?! OF COURSE I OWN MY HOME!!!" Calm down, ya psycho.
            Yeah that's extremely dependent on where you live, as well. Our total household income is that high and we don't own a home. We'd have to make a lot more than we do to comfortably buy one where we live.

Comment

And if that doctor is sooo rich, why does she need a credit line increase. Can't she just pay for it like everyone else?

Comment

Funny, most of the extremely well off people I know are penny pinching bastards. It's the newly upper-middle class people who seem to be the biggest assholes.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

When I worked in retail, for a very upscale department store that attracted a ton of rich, snobby folk, I found the following mental philosophy usually helped when their attitudes got in the way:

On the street where the employee entrance was, there was a homeless man who was living off whatever pennies people saw fit to throw his way.

Despite the difference in financial status, the super rich and that bum were both going to get sick and die just the same, no amount of money could change nor stop that from happening.

If anything, the street bum actually had a better shot since he didn't have the resources to abuse his body in the same way one with a fat bank account could.

Yeah it's dark, but that was a fairly dark time for me in general.

Comment

Perfect timing for this thread. My company has jumped back into the credit card game. Currently online is the only way for one to apply, but I imagine eventually people will be able to apply in-store and the cashiers will be getting quotas for signups they have to meet.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      Funny, most of the extremely well off people I know are penny pinching bastards. It's the newly upper-middle class people who seem to be the biggest assholes.
                      The only person I know who really doesn't have to work can be like that. Invites a friend out for dinner, wants separate checks; invites a friend to go to a festival, fair or similar event, expects the friend to pay for parking; etc.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        The only person I know who really doesn't have to work can be like that. Invites a friend out for dinner, wants separate checks; invites a friend to go to a festival, fair or similar event, expects the friend to pay for parking; etc.
                        For the purposes of this next story, you have to recall the old buffalo tail nickles in the U.S.

My uncle used to joke that my father "could squeeze a nickle so tight the buffalo would take a shit." My father is not hurting for money, but he's one of most tight fisted people I know, with one huge exception. He tips wait staff and other tipped employees extremely well. And while he can be a jerk, he pounded into us kids that service workers are to be treated with the utmost respect. Most of the old money people I know are like my father. It's the new money people, and the people who are "just" upper middle class that have attitudes. At least that's been my experience.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

If I ever hit it big via the lottery or something, I'm going to treat every "little person" I meet with the utmost respect, and tip extravagantly. Jesus, it's money...if you have a ton of it, you don't have to be so miserly with it. It's not like you can take it with you.

Comment

I've found that sometimes the people who have the least are the most generous. When I couldn't buy food my friend used her food stamps to buy me stuff.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
                              And if that doctor is sooo rich, why does she need a credit line increase. Can't she just pay for it like everyone else?
                              Don't even get me started on the "wealthy" customers wit over $100K in revolving debt. Some of those accountsites made my head spin. Like, if they kept making payments the way they had been, they would die 10s of 1000s of dollars in debt.
                              Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Working...
                              X