Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

Random discussion on Malicious Compliance
Old 11-12-2019, 12:10 AM
Area Manager

Default Random discussion on Malicious Compliance

I think this is safe to put here. I don't think it rises to the level of "fratching".

I will admit, I have a bad habit sometimes of "passive-aggressive" behavior. I'm not proud of that fact, but it is what it is.

To that end, in your opinion is "malicious compliance" ever acceptable, and does it "work"? And have you ever tried it? And if you have, what was the result?

Wikipedia defines it as:

"the behavior of intentionally inflicting harm by strictly following the orders of a superior knowing that compliance with the orders will not have the intended result."

I know there's an entire subreddit and numerous YouTube videos dedicated to the subject. I question if some of those are real, though.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:21 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

<mod hat on>

As long as the discussion doesn't wander off into the realm of violence (fantasy or otherwise -- this is about "creative" interpretation, not truly harmful activity), we cool.

</mod hat off>
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

"French is my favorite ... Especially to curse with ... It's like wiping your arse with silk. I love it." The Merovingian, "The Matrix: Reloaded"
"Customers are like van Gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit

Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 AM
Area Manager

So long as you're considering the full consequences of what you're doing, sure. Just remember that it feels so good at first, but you might get fired anyway.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Asura Mesmer

Does preparing documents for Goodhair's loans count? Especially when I know the borrower is a bad credit risk? I mean, I'm just doing my job/what I'm told...

Old 11-14-2019, 01:27 AM
Area Manager

Sure. That could be an example, Ghel.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:32 AM
Philosophical Tomato

When the Demonic Duo (V and M) ruled the roost at the store, they would often give instructions so vague/obviously contradictory that they could never have the desired result in any reality but we did it anyway...when the inevitable tantrum came all any of us had to say was "I was doing exactly what you told me". When these games started I guessed correctly that any of us actually thinking about it would result in "you didn't do what I said" so we followed the shitty directions to the letter and documented the process to the best of our ability (either taking notes or actually recording how we were told to do X, and photographing everything we did).

The retail manager (their boss) knew what we had been told to do and that there was no legitimate way we could be disciplined for following orders. They tried, but all we had to do to stop that was refuse to sign the attempted writeups and then give HR the actual versions of events...so HR was on to their games.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Front End Supervisor

I figure if you try (once) to politely point out the oncoming train, and get shut down... they deserve everything that comes their way.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Philosophical Tomato

So much this.

This display needs X units of product to look good but we have X-50? Okay, we'll fill it with X-100 (or however many it takes to also not leave a hole on the shelf) and leave the resulting holes. With some MiM the imagined insubordination is more important. Now if they had realized this/listened to us/looked at the actual units on hand and said "Okay, we're short on ProdA, don't empty the shelf so fill the space in with a related item now and we'll order more" or allowed us to make a judgement call that would be fine as it's still following directions.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:01 AM
Area Manager

How 'bout THIS

Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 AM
I need a life

It gets me in trouble either way. Do what the bosses want in one arena and you fall short in another. We can't win.