Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Car Snatcher

Quote:
Quoth Seshat View Post
On far too many cars, the jack that comes with it is a piece of cr*p.
Amen, I had the factory spec scissor jack on a then-brand-new Suzuki bend over when I tried to use it. Even had a sheet of wood under it to spread out the force, put it exactly where the manual said to put it, and it promptly failed to pick up the only thing in the world it was, allegedly, designed to pick up.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

I had a tyre blow on my classic Mini at 70mph while in the fast lane... I can tell you that I wasn't overly concerned with where I stopped so long as it wasn't on the carriageway, and so unfortunately ended up stuck in a soft verge. My jack wouldn't fit with the remaining clearance, so I had to call the auto club, but I made sure they knew I had everything else & exactly what they'd need to be sure we could get the car fixed!

Nowadays I don't just carry a spare but a pump as well!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Seshat View Post
Which is why something similar to this (but a little smaller) lives in my trunk.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429

Along with a 4 way tire iron and a random piece of steel I swiped from my father's garage (to use as a breaker bar if needed). There's also a bunch of other tools back there, but I drive an older car that likes to break down at the most inopportune times.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Tow "Rawkin" Disptacher

Sounds like one of our motor clubs. Frequently they will call for things not even in an area I'd ever know. AND usually its for something like a lockout or flat. Seriously?? How do you expect us to do it in a timely matter.

My favorite "Can you give us a 30 min eta?" Yeah sure..IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO DRIVE THERE THEN THAT!

Our main office boss is the type to want to take them all too. And then gripes about fuel prices.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 AM
Car Snatcher

Quote:
Quoth JarethsPet View Post
Sounds like one of our motor clubs. Frequently they will call for things not even in an area I'd ever know. AND usually its for something like a lockout or flat. Seriously?? How do you expect us to do it in a timely matter.

My favorite "Can you give us a 30 min eta?" Yeah sure..IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO DRIVE THERE THEN THAT!

Our main office boss is the type to want to take them all too. And then gripes about fuel prices.
See? INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION THAT I AM NOT A CRACKPOT!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 AM
Front End Supervisor

The first thing i do when get my car back from a service that requires my tires coming off, is to break the lug nuts loose right in the shops parking lot. If i can't do it with my breaker bar, it goes right back in for them to break it loose and not tighten so much again. There have been some unhappy grease monkeys about that but then again, I'm not gonna be all that happy if I can't install my own spare and have to call for someone to come do it for me (assuming I can reach someone, a lot of the areas I go to don't have cell reception).

I also ditched the factory jack in favor of a small bottle jack that's a lot easier to use than the factory pos. Useable jack, breaker bar w/good deep socket and a small square of plywood (so the jack can't sink) go a long way in making swapping a flat out a lot easier.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 AM
Tradesperson

Quote:
Quoth Seshat View Post
Also, on every single truck I have owned, without fail, it doesn't go high enough to jack the truck off the ground. Some, but not all, will get the front end up, but none have ever gotten the back end once the leafs relax. Found that out the hard way in the middle of nowhere once (luckily on a job site, so lots of pieces of wood to keep building the jack up with) and have checked it with every truck I have bought since before I needed to know.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:02 AM
Car Snatcher

Memory Jog:

The absolute WORST experience I ever had was with a flat tire. Shall we count the ways it went wrong?

- Person had no idea where they were except on Interstate 80, which, kinda runs almost the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE COUNTRY.

- Once we figured it out, it was, predictably, immediately BEFORE an exit ramp going east. So, the only way to get to them was drive to that exit, wave at them as you drove past, go 20 MILES down until you got to the first crossover. Due to the unique geography in their particular area, the area between those exits lack the usual state police/emergency turnarounds every 5 miles, the road at that point is bi-level and clinging to a mountainside, you wanna go from eastbound to westbound at that point? It's a 100 foot drop pretty much straight down, and hope you hit it, otherwise it's another 800 to the valley floor.
- Get on scene, car has been fitted with an aftermarket lowering kit, there's now only 1'' of ground clearance, my jack won't fit under it, the factory jack won't fit under it, the front bumper has been replaced by a body kit that's literally scraping the ground, so I can't pick it up with the truck and I can't lift from the back because you can't turn around and face the wrong way in a freeway situation, against company policy and probably DOT too.
-Spend an hour DIGGING up the shoulder to make a hole to PUT the jack in to jack the car up.
-Get car up, go to undo lug nuts, wow, the car has aftermarket rims, the factory lug wrench won't fit in the holes, none of the options on my 4 way fit in the hole, you need a thin-walled socket to get to them.
-Drive down exit ramp to nearest town, go to Wal-Mart, buy cheap set of thin-wall sockets, drive back, past car, 20 miles up, cross over, 20 miles back down.
-Get wheel/flat tire off car
-Get spare out of trunk
-Try to put spare on, *clunk* huh? *clunk* *clunk*
-Take measurements, the car not only had aftermarket rims, but aftermarket brake rotors and calipers, with different lug patterns, the spare WILL NOT FIT.
-Inform driver and passengers of problem, they're a bit upset, but ultimately understanding, especially after they called Dad (who they borrowed the car from) who tells them he TOLD them that you can't use the spare in the trunk months ago.... oh well.
-Hook up car to tow, call for another driver to take one of the bodyshop loaner cars and bring it up to me so he can ferry the passengers and I'll take the driver.
-Wait for him to drive by, go 20 miles, crossover, and come back.
-FOUR HOURS after it started, the call ends when we drop them at the local Pep Boys and tell them they're on their own

On the plus side, they were only coming to town for a concert, that was over when we finally got them to the garage, karma did what I couldn't, hope they learned a lesson.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 AM
Car Snatcher

Quote:
Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
Also, on every single truck I have owned, without fail, it doesn't go high enough to jack the truck off the ground. Some, but not all, will get the front end up, but none have ever gotten the back end once the leafs relax. Found that out the hard way in the middle of nowhere once (luckily on a job site, so lots of pieces of wood to keep building the jack up with) and have checked it with every truck I have bought since before I needed to know.
I've found they're good for compressing the suspension though. I'll use my bottle jack to lift the truck up, and then use the factory jack to compress the leaf so I don't have to jack for 30 minutes to get enough clearance to get the tire off. Works for compressing front suspension too.

dual-wielding jacks, be proud Mr. Woo!

Last edited by Argabarga; 12-29-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Will Work for Bacon

I guess I've been lucky with the factory jacks with my cars. I've never had a problem. It's the tire irons that I can never get enough leverage with. So I always carry a four prong in the trunk.

Of course, now having said that I will likely blow a tire tomorrow and be unable to use the factory jack. Not looking forward to that actually, getting the spare out of my truck is a BITCH because of how the manufacturer designed the trunk.