Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Cashier

She probably wrote that in response because when she goes to stores she does that sort of thing to retail workers.

Anyone getting in your personal space is not okay, ever. I don't care if it's a tap or a flat out grope. You don't just "deal with it" or "find a new job". Someone mentioned that Abby was trying to get across that its unavoidable at times, but let that customer touch a person with a lot less tolerance and them getting punched in the face will also be unavoidable.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Store Manager

I can't believe anyone would basically say to "deal with it" over touching....

I once had a co-worker (known for being "touchy") touch me. Don't know what my response was (I thought I just turned), but she immediately froze apoloziged and said she'd never to it again (with me saying nothing other than "it's ok, I just wasn't expecting it").
If I ever had a customer do that.... I don't even want to know what that response would've been. Not even the touching itself -- but not everyone is comfortable with being touched - and no one in retail should expect even being touched; and it sure shouldn't be treated as acceptable.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM
\_(ツ)_/

Perhaps the next time "Dear Abby" or whoever's writing that column decides to get all hands-y with a retail wage slave, said retail wage slave should return the favor and just rub his/her hands around her body, so she knows how they feel.

As others have said, it is blatantly obvious the column writer hasn't worked a day in retail. Nobody should have to suck it up and deal with unwanted touching just because "it will keep the customer coming back"

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Customer

"Dear Abby,

An advice columnist suggested something ridiculous. It is obvious the columnist has no experience with living in the real world...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Urge to kill, rising...

I have bubble problems; ie, if someone gets inside my bubble, I will make sure they have a problem. -.-

Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Incredibly Notoriously Awesome

I say a bunch of us should write letters to Dear Abby to rebut her answer to the poor retail worker.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Front End Supervisor

I HATE being touched, too. I usually can't ever think of anything halfway nice to say quick enough when it happens, though.

I agree, customers should not be encouraged! I heard a jewelry store commercial on the radio the other day, that had a "couple" talking about their experience at the store. One part, they said "and they even stayed late after closing to help us pick out the perfect ring!" Oh GREAT! I'm sure every employee there is jumping for joy that they're advertising that!
"RED!"
"..."

Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Snake Handler

Quote:
Quoth Nakajo View Post
I've noticed her attitude towards all service workers in general, especially retail and food service. I say a couple of us need to "open her eyes" with some opinion letters, honestly.
I was gonna suggest this very thing.

I saw that article and I was as disgusted as the rest of you. I figured someone would probably mention it.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 PM
widdly scuds?

Reminds me of a song:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/john+pr..._20074810.html

Old 03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Bagger

Well, I had to send Abby (or Pauline or whoever the hell she is) my two cents. Probably just pissing in the wind, but I felt compelled.
This is the comment I sent:

Quote:
RE: response to "Nicki in Maryland", 3/22/08.
Your advice to the retail salesperson who disliked being touched by customers was way off base! Personal space is just that, and no one should have to submit to being touched if it makes them uncomfortable. Just because she works in the service industry shouldn't mean she has less right to her personal space as others. To tell 'Nicki' that she should just put up with people touching her or grabbing at her to keep from losing a customer is basically saying to her "Like it, lump it, or quit; the customer is always right." That's usually the mantra of a bad customer. Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on keeping the business of someone who doesn't know how to keep their hands to themselves.
I can almost feel her beady little eyes looking down her nose at me already ...
Closed Thread