This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Crew Only” means just that!

Had a bad day at work yesterday and it's still pissing me off today (see my post in Cursing Out Coworkers). Thought I'd post this quick story from years ago on the cruise ships.

One evening we were all meeting in the crew bar between shows (usually 1.5 hours between them) for one drink. It was a formal night, so while we were all wearing nametags, we were dressed like other pax were – guys in tuxes or suits, gals in formal ballgowns. We had just come from the buffet and the quickest way to the bar was to take this one long passenger hallway. At the end is a door that says “Crew Members Only” and it leads to the hallway closest to the crew bar.

There were 3 of us chatting as we went, and a door opened and 2 passengers came out – probably in their mid to late 20’s. We said good evening to them as we passed and then went through the doors. Down the hallway to the bar where we each grabbed a drink and sat down with the rest of our crewmates. About a minute later, the room goes silent. We turned to see what it was, and it was the 2 passengers…they had apparently followed us down the hallway thinking we were passengers and assumed since we went through the doors, they could too. When they were asked to leave, they were pissed!!! They wanted to hang out. To be fair, the crew bar was pretty cool – darts, TV’s with movies showing, cheap drinks (.75 each instead of the 3.50 for passengers), foosball tables and more.

They apparently complained to the purser’s desk that crew were drinking and having fun when they should be working! Shocking. Sorry ladies, you can’t put over 1000 20-somethings on a ship for 6 months at a time and not expect them to have some fun. Drinking is allowed as long as you remain functional enough to perform your emergency duties if needed.

Quoth CruiseShipGirl View Post
    They apparently complained to the purser’s desk that crew were drinking and having fun when they should be working! Shocking. Sorry ladies, you can’t put over 1000 20-somethings on a ship for 6 months at a time and not expect them to have some fun. Drinking is allowed as long as you remain functional enough to perform your emergency duties if needed.
    OMG, they're paid crew and they let them drink? And play darts, watch TV or talk to each other? Bet they let them eat and sleep too. But they're crew! They should be on duty 24/7 and not allowed human comforts. Why aren't they chained up and rowing the boat?

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth CruiseShipGirl View Post
      Drinking is allowed as long as you remain functional enough to perform your emergency duties if needed.
      I sure wish my c store job was like that.
      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        Why aren't they chained up and rowing the boat?
        Bwhahahahaha!!! That's what they should be doing when they're not plugged into the wall to recharge or serving the customer/masters who provide their paychecks!!!

Why to some self-important people feel that employees are not allowed to have normal lives?
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

i'm reminded of a complaint i read at m3c once... The complaint was about the employee behavior... when the passenger recognized them at her hotel and she was very offended they were having a party.

cos hey... the servants can't be seen having more fun than their masters, right?

Comment

I'm surprised you haven't been finding them down in the engine rooms or up in the pilot's cabin...

(ETA: heck, if I ever had the $$ to go on such a cruise, those would be the first places I'd want to see, but I'd ask politely first, and take "no" for an answer.)
            Last edited by Shalom; 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              I'm surprised you haven't been finding them down in the engine rooms or up in the pilot's cabin...

(ETA: heck, if I ever had the $$ to go on such a cruise, those would be the first places I'd want to see, but I'd ask politely first, and take "no" for an answer.)
              The cabin i can't vouch for but if the engine rooms are anything like what we had in the navy... noisy and hot. and rather dirty*.

* not a slight against engineering but rather... they work their asses off so they don't really have time to clean every single inch - unless the engines are broken.

Comment

I read this topic title as "Screw Only" whatever that means.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it reminded me of an episode in my childhood.

My parents won a two week cruise, leaving from Southampton UK and going down the east side of the Atlantic Coastline to Sierra Leone and back. I recall very little of the sights as I was only five years old and my brother was three. What I do recall, with great clarity, was regularly escaping from the cabin or nursery, breaking out my brother on the way, and throroughly exploring the ship - literally from top to bottom, stern to bow.

We got into the engine rooms, the captains quarters, the kitchens, the crew quarters - the whole place just seemed like one giant playground.

My parents gave up chasing us and simply tied labels on our wrists with our names and cabin numbers. The crew were great, and very patient, making sure we didn't get into serious trouble, and guiding us back to where we were supposed to be for meals etc.

Happy times!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I read this topic title as "Screw Only" whatever that means.

no wonder the EW was pissed? She was excluded from the "screw only" room.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

no wonder the EW was pissed? She was excluded from the "screw only" room.
                      The crew have another room for that.

Comment

I suppose these passengers would be on another cruise line by now threatening to sue the shipping company because the captain wouldn't let them drive the ship and use the bridge as their personal entertainment center!

The crew of the ship get to have some time off to unwind and relax themselves? Scandalous! That should never happen! They didn't pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for tickets in order to have fun, so it should be denied to them!

I guess there's even a bit of Retail entitlement on cruise ships. Where does it end???

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          The cabin i can't vouch for but if the engine rooms are anything like what we had in the navy... noisy and hot. and rather dirty*.

* not a slight against engineering but rather... they work their asses off so they don't really have time to clean every single inch - unless the engines are broken.
                          And I'd bet dollars to donuts that the important bits ARE clean, and that there's almost no loose flammable materials. Certain things can look like complete hell to an outsider, when actually those in the know are maintaining evreything just perfectly. I've been in sawmills before and it's the same way - looks like hell, in spite of everyone running around with brooms all the time. Turns out the important thing with sawmills is keeping the wood chips under control, otherwise they tend to burn down right quick.
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                            The crew of the ship get to have some time off to unwind and relax themselves? Scandalous! That should never happen! They didn't pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for tickets in order to have fun, so it should be denied to them!

I guess there's even a bit of Retail entitlement on cruise ships. Where does it end???
                            See, they pay all this money and believe that FINALLY they'll have servants to order around and obey their every whim. Watched too many old movies, I'm betting. So they get all bent out of shape when it doesn't actually work that way. They'd be appalled if they were made to understand that the crew is actually getting paid to be there, not paying for the privilege.

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            Turns out the important thing with sawmills is keeping the wood chips under control, otherwise they tend to burn down right quick.
                            Same with flour mills. Dust control is a priority, because did you know that flour is extremely flammable? Yikes.
                            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                              Same with flour mills. Dust control is a priority, because did you know that flour is extremely flammable? Yikes.
                              I knew that!

You can thank Terry Pratchett ("Monstrous Regiment") and this slow-mo video I saw on YouTube, in which the guys in the video sprinkled some flour over a lit flame and taped the flash-up.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X