Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deranged Homocidal Maniac Tries To Kill Me (kind of long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    Having carrierd a 4D Maglite when working SCA security, I can attest to their usefulness.
    That would DEFINITELY fit the "A" in the organization's name.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Trying to visualize this (have a Mag near the computer). The grip you're describing, is it with the thumb toward the tail of the flashlight, tail of the flashlight resting on the shoulder, and either little finger or the one next to it on the switch? By "like most people carry a flashlight", I assume you mean with the thumb toward the head, and on the switch.
      I could try to explain it, but for once, a picture really is worth a thousand words, give or take. So here is my approximately two thousand word instruction guide for how to hold a Maglight.

Not like this:

Like this:

...with the butt end over your shoulder, so you can use it as a flashlight, but also use it like a club, like this:

Quoth Nordel View Post
      I found a crowbar.. gonna keep that under my seat just in case. I like the mag light idea.. seems like you could do some damage without killing a person so easily. A crow bar to the head might cause death.. I feel better having it though.
      Crowbars under the seat are often frowned upon by cops (concealed weapon), and in close quarters can be unwieldy. Mag lights, on the other hand, cannot be considered concealed weapons, can be kept wherever you want, and are very effective in close quarters. Also, they have brackets for them so you can mount them. When I was traveling the U.S. in '98 & '99, I had my Mag mounted in such brackets beneath the glove compartment. Easy to access if I needed it in either of it's capacities, and out of the way (and out of sight) when I didn't. Sadly, such brackets simply won't work in my current truck, though I still do keep a Mag in it. Just not mounted.
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM. Reason: added WIMG tags - click pics for full size versions

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Nordel View Post
        Thanks guys.. I tried to make the story entertaining but it was a pretty messed up thing to happen.

He did seem to have some crazy strength. This was two nights ago and my face still hurts, still got a bit of a black eye. I've taken a few punches, but this was probably one of the hardest.
        Did you go to the hospital the night of the attack? For everyone: if you are ever assaulted, GO TO THE HOSPITAL. Even if you're not seriously hurt, you want medical documentation of any injuries. Take pictures, lots of them, over the following days to show the injuries. It is evidence, useful in both a criminal and civil case (the latter won't work here; this guy probably has nothing worth suing over).

Quoth Nordel View Post
        Aaaaaannndd he's out. I just saw him walking around not half a block from my work.. yeah... the police don't give a shit if he hurts anyone.. I'm definitely gonna press charges.. He comes anywhere near this place I'm calling the cops.. not that they'll care!
        They just might care. They should have taken a statement from you that night; did they? If not, talk to a detective and get one taken now. Photograph your injuries. Call the DA and insist a battery and vandalism (for your car) case be prosecuted.

It's hard to know if he's out because a mental health hold expired or because the cops at the last minute decided not to file charges. He might actually have been charged with assaulting an officer (that is taken very very seriously) and simply have gotten bailed out by family.

Get a restraining order banning him from being within a certain distance of your person and your work. If he violates the restraining order he can be arrested again.

Quoth Argus View Post
        The OP mentioned planning to watch the season finale of Game of Thrones; there was a fight in that episode with one or two dirty moves that might be useful.
        I discourage folks from modeling fight moves on what they see on TV. It's a good way to get hurt. If you seriously want to learn self defense, there are plenty of ways to learn it in a disciplined and organized way from an instructor who knows what they are doing. Nordel got lucky with the Captain Kirk move.

Having said that, in a street fight there is no such thing as fighting fair. Fight dirty. Fight to win, and get the hell out of Dodge quick!

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        Maglights are freaking awesome! Even a smaller one can be an effective weapon when used in the same manner as a kubotan - kubotans are considered offensive weapons in some areas so may not be entirely legal, but a long skinny flashlight would pass. Which reminds me...I need another maglight...
        They're excessive force when used by a cop. But a civilian defending themselves has a lot more latitude. Just bear in mind any weapon you use has the potential to be taken away from you in a fight.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Just a note. I don't mind advice for self-defence; the sensible sort of advice, anyway. Not overly happy about armchair diagnoses of mental health issues.
        Agree. We have no idea why this guy behaved the way he did and speculation is useless.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Four, Mags are legal everywhere, and you don't need any permit or license to carry one.
          This might not be true. I wanted to purchase a 4D mag a few weeks ago and couldn't find one. I was quite surprised when, upon asking, I was told that they are illegal to sell to non-law enforcement in my current county. I haven't confirmed that with any official sources, but I asked a few people in other stores (including the guy at the knife shop my son loves so much), and they all said the same thing.

They still sell the 3D mags though.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Holy shit, that was scary to read. It sucks the guy is out, has your boss banned the guy from the property or is he free to wander? I also have to agree with SS please document EVERYTHING, get medical papers from the hospital, get a statement taken by a detective, make notes of everytime you see him and what he does. If at any time you feel unsafe get to a place with a lot of people immediately, if he does or says anything you want witnesses.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              Maglights are freaking awesome! Even a smaller one can be an effective weapon when used in the same manner as a kubotan - kubotans are considered offensive weapons in some areas so may not be entirely legal, but a long skinny flashlight would pass. Which reminds me...I need another maglight...
              *insert shameless plus*
              We have them at my work, 2D 3D averaging $33-$35, at the hardware of home. Not sure if they ever go on sale but I can look into it for yah.

Comment

Depending on various factors, I personally think the 4D Mag Lights are too big and heavy. You're able to swing lighter objects more quickly and can do plenty of damage with them. A smaller diameter flashlight is easier to grip and can result in being more effective. I'd tend to recommend a 2D or 3C Mag Light for most people.

Comment

Somehow I always pictured using the wide end of the flashlight, kind of like a hammer head, but it seems from the pics that the narrow end is swung facing the opponent, with the bulb remaining within your hand? Is this correct?

(I suppose it makes it harder for the opponent to grab it out of your grip if you've got a hold of the wide end. How slippery are these things? Do they slide around in your hand if your grip is sweaty?)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Somehow I always pictured using the wide end of the flashlight, kind of like a hammer head, but it seems from the pics that the narrow end is swung facing the opponent, with the bulb remaining within your hand? Is this correct?

(I suppose it makes it harder for the opponent to grab it out of your grip if you've got a hold of the wide end. How slippery are these things? Do they slide around in your hand if your grip is sweaty?)
                    Harder to pull out of your hand is one reason, but not the main one, really. Using the light end in a fight might cause it to break and no longer function in its primary capacity. The butt end, however, is pretty solid and REALLY hard to dent, much less break.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Its also used as a hand extension to put pressure on joints etc. Having trained with one recently it can be very hard and painful pressed against the wrist etc and is harder to work against for an attacker to get out of and try to grab you when they've got something solid in their way. Most hand based defense is relatively easier to get out off than something like that - also less likely for the defender to get themselves damaged than using fingers etc.
                      Last edited by Gizmo; 06-20-2014, 11:54 PM.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

For a hand with a smaller grip, a smaller Maglite might be better. Dad has the 4D and Mom got a 3D to carry on their belts when they volunteered.

Another reason to carry with the butt on the shoulder is so that when used as a flashlight, it blinds suspects, making it harder for them to hit the officer in the head and shoulders area. Every little bit keeps an officer alive long enough to retire!
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post

You want to be able to use it as a flash light again later. As for 3D vs 4D, a 3D is plenty long and heavy enough to kill someone if required.

A cop friend of mine said he was trained to hold the light with his grip at the headlight, with the shaft running along his arm. Then if necessary, a quick wrist flip turns flashlight into club.

I've treated ER patients beat up with them. They can mess you up.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            They still sell the 3D mags though.
                            I've always had a 3D, and they're plenty hefty enough for my uses. Luckily, to date my uses have only ever been as a flashlight, and not as a weapon.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            A smaller diameter flashlight is easier to grip and can result in being more effective. I'd tend to recommend a 2D or 3C Mag Light for most people.
                            As I said above, I personally have found the 3D to be perfectly fine. I don't know, however, that it is a smaller diameter than the 4D so much as it is shorter in length. My memory tells me that they're the same diameter. Am I misremembering?

Quoth Shalom View Post

Mags have an excellent grip running the length of the base, completely around the tube, so no matter where you grip it, you have a good grip.
                            The bulb is not in your hand per se, but you grip it right being the bulb area.
                            If needed as a skull cracker, this preserves the light part for future use as an actual flashlight.
                            Also, the part you may be missing in this whole discussion is that the base has plenty of heft and weight, due to the construction and the batteries inside it. An empty Mag, even with its fantastic construction, isn't gonna do much damage to anyone.
                            So yes, in answer to your question, if needed as a weapon, you swing it pivoting from the bulb end so that you hit the intended target with the opposite end of the base.

And this brings me to the other part of the awesomeness of a Maglight. It is a damn good flashlight, and very bright, so that if you're holding it in the cop hold as discussed, hopefully it will be blinding enough to your would-be attacker that you won't actually have to use it as a skull cracker. After all, the best way to get out of a fight unscathed is to avoid the fight completely. Of course, if that's not a possibility, you might as well have the best defense available, which is, as we've said, the incomparable Maglight.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Holy cow! I am glad you're okay. I don't even know what I would do in that situation... Just wow... I'm really sorry he's out Maybe always leave in pairs if possible? That way someone has your back? Yikes...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                Crowbars under the seat are often frowned upon by cops (concealed weapon)....
                                That's why I'd originally suggested the steering wheel lock. But the more I read, the more I think you're right about the Maglite. I'm going to check them out.
                                Quoth Anakah View Post
                                Maybe always leave in pairs if possible? That way someone has your back? Yikes...
                                No way Corporate would spring for that...
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X