This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Partyin' Like it's Still 2015

Ah, new year, new semester, new crop of wandering self-propelled protein piles calling themselves "students" lurching about, and, surprise, following the rules is not their strong suit.

Especially not parking regs.

Let's dig in, shall we?

Mmmmmmmmmm, delicious fail sandwich.

Two slices of wrong-shade construction paper, haphazardly glued to a thick, corrugated cardboard center, do not a good attempt at a fake permit make.

You're making this too easy, you might as well sign me up for an arm wrestling bout with a guy who's got a compound fracture of his radius AND ulna, and, oh what the heck, throw in both femurs while you're at it....

Know what else was delicious? Your tears, because you tried to CRY your way out of that misadventure into fraud.

That doesn't work on the IRS, so it doesn't work on us either, sweetie.

Cut n' Paste

Recnetly, I misspelled the word "recently", but I digress, also recently, Global Domination Reality has decided to make some changes to their permits. Instead of changing the color every semester, three times a year, they realized they could save expenses by printing off just one kind with a color that never changes and leaving a big blank next to the "EXPIRES" part where they can print a lot of little, smaller stickers, that say, for example (12/31 or 5/31) stick THOSE on top of the master blanks, and voila', you can print thousands of them for less than it would cost to do 3 batches of a couple hundred. Simple economics.

Now, most of you who know my clientele are already fully aware where this train is going...... yeah, it was only a matter of time before someone tried to re-use one by printing out a new date "sticker' and putting that over top the old one.

Two tried it just this week concurrent with the new semester starting and the old ones running out.

Tell me, did either of you gentlemen even LOOK at the permit first?

The real one you had?

Before you tried to fake new dates?

Because neither of you got the right FONT for the numbers. Trust me, after you look at hundreds and hundreds of instances of 5/31/15 day in and day out, suddenly seeing one pop up that looks like 5/31/15 is .... well, the incongruity is obvious. And that's BEFORE you take a closer look and notice the scissor marks, and scotch tape.

*sigh* It wasn't that HARD, you had the sample RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. And they even spotted you the "31", you didn't even have to touch that, and you STILL screwed the pooch. Come on! That's a gimme! That's shanking a 20 yard field goal attempt, that's bricking a free-throw, that's missing the broad side of a barn with a shotgun and your toes up against the shingles.... that's getting "CAT" in a spelling bee, with the presenter already giving you the "A" and the "T" and you picking "K".......

I will reluctantly give both of you a combined 2 points of effort for not picking comic sans, at least.

Too bad that's 2 out of a total possible score of "A LOT OF POINTS", so, your final grade is going to, well, really wreck the curve in here. Thanks a lot. (And if you HAD used Comic Sans, I would've graded that work "Potato" )

Unlikely Story 1:

I really doubt "someone" in the "office" told you that you could park in their lot without a permit and you wouldn't be towed. Considering this is, allegedly, the same office that called us on Monday and said that today (Wed) was "tow em all and let God sort em out"day since classes for the new semester started and there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to be lingering around their lots without permits.

Funny, you don't seem to remember WHO it was who told you that, or WHICH office you called, seeing as Global Domination Reality has more than one (one for regular folk housing, one for cattle ..... er, students, and one for grad students where they treat you like cattle, but tell you it's special, you know? like how they raise Kobe Beef?) Just saying "the office" isn't descriptive enough.

And then, trapped by your lies, you tried to cry your way out of the tow (Man, this latest batch of students are quite the fragile bunch, no?)

And then you went and annoyed the maintenance man for the apartment (who doesn't even KNOW the parking regulations) about how there must be something he can do for you about that...

There is.

He can tell ME when he sees me next and we'll have a good laugh about it, as we did.

Unlikely Story 2:

Sure, the office for DOA reality "accidentally" gave you the wrong permit. Yeah, out of 40 cars in that lot with permits that are red and say "EXPIRES 5/31/16", they gave you the ONLY ONE that's Green and says "EXPIRES 12/31/15"

Well, if you insist that's what happened, let's call Angie down at DOA and see if she concurs with that version of events. Now, it's after hours, so she's probably not there, but we'll leave a message and as soon as she gets back to us, if she agrees that's what happened, we'll let the car go for free. We'll even waive the storage since it'll probably be until tomorrow for that return call.

Oh, wait, what's that? You want to just pay and get the car back? Sure! Can't imagine why!

Towing Manager, Staring in "Operation Shutdown"

Towing Manager (TM) is the final level of appeal around here, if you didn't like his answer, well, too bad. Short of civil court, that's the last tier of resolution you'll get to at least under this roof. Naturally, Manager revels in his ability to be infallible by finality by being as direct as possible when people get chippy.

Like this gentleman, "G". A rather dyspeptic fellow who after a night of merriment at his girlfirends apartment found that his car was not where he left it in the parking lot.

G-Why did I get towed?

TM-You don't have a permit to park there.

G-What? I was just visiting, I got to get a PERMIT to just SEE someone?

TM-Yes

G-I was just there for, like, only SIX HOURS (he was quite insistent this was a trivial amount of time) That's it! Literally just six hours! And you TOWED me?!

TM-Yes, you need a permit to park there, be it for a minute, an hour, or all day.

G-Well, it'd be nice if someone WARNED me about that!

TM-The sign you drove past that said "Permit Parking Only, Violators Towed" is the only warning you're going to get

G-This is Bulls*it!!! This is just a money-making rip off!!!!

TM-Those are the rules

G-Whose!?

TM-The apartment complex that owns the lot.

G-Well, this sounds like a scam to me, I wanna SEE THEM IN WRITING!!!

TM-Go back and read the "Permit Parking Only" sign, they're written pretty clear on there.

Can we get some paramedics en route? Stat? Someone just got seriously BURNED!

And that's just the START of the fun, we haven't had a full MONTH of newbie student anarchy (an-park-y, maybe?) yet, I'm sure, like getting your necktie caught in a paper shredder, this is going to get worse before it gets better... much much worse.

Can't wait.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I really hope you're planning to make a Tow Files collection available somewhere, what with the uncertain future of this forum.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

uncertain future of this forum
      Whaaaaaaaaat?
      You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=113541
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          I really hope you're planning to make a Tow Files collection available somewhere, what with the uncertain future of this forum.
          I'm seconding hoping you're going to make the collection available somewhere; perhaps the CS FB page?

In fact, this series would make an excellent book if you ever fancied trying to get one printed. You have a wonderful writing style which I'd love to see more of. The only problem I could see would be whether you can make things vague enough to avoid being actionable, although from what I've seen you've done very well in your posts online.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            G-I was just there for, like, only SIX HOURS (he was quite insistent this was a trivial amount of time) That's it! Literally just six hours! And you TOWED me?!
            He was probably actually there for 5 minutes while visiting his girlfriend for night of merriment.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'm just hoping Raps finds someone else to take it over. I need this place.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                Seconded. A simple blog set up would be ideal.

As for Mr. Ain't-No-G in the last story there, can we get him some burn cream? Cuz damn.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Seconded. A simple blog set up would be ideal.
                  Ooh, I like this idea. If you set up a blog to continue these, Arga, do let us know!
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Well crikey. I guess I'm going back to Etiquette Hell.

Comment

Hey guys? There's a whole other thread - linked to a couple times here - to discuss the future of the forum. By all means anyone with ideas can post them there. Let's keep this thread on point please.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I second the hope for some kind of book deal. Argabarga, you have a great writing style and very entertaining stories. I would definitely buy your book and give it to friends and family as gifts. Like most other people here, my heart gives a little flutter when I see a Tow Files post come up.

Comment

Back on topic: Arga your "customers" (actually inventory) remind me of some of my guests. They don't read, don't think, and expect us to deal with it and eat the costs that result from their stupidity. For example, I have one person whining "but I booked a suiiiiiiiiite." Um, no you didn't. Your record history says the room type has never been changed. You can have a suite if you want, but you're paying the upgrade fee. Bye bye now.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            there's an unused subreddit *tales from the tow yard* just sayin'
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              He was probably actually there for 5 minutes while visiting his girlfriend for night of merriment.
                              Reminds me of the former local district attorney whose car was towed away from street outside his girlfriend's house. He didn't take notice of the parking ban during a raging snowstorm.

Comment

Working...
                              X