This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    I absolutely love the logic behind this! Reductio ad absurdum: I can park in LA w/ a NY permit. Hey, they're all connected, right?
    Sure you can park there. It's physically possible to park there.

And just as physically possible that a tow truck will take your ride before you get back to it But you CAN park there.

Quoth sms001 View Post
    Actually saw an H3 doing something recently. Towing a boat, poorly (the sag on the rear shocks was awful) but at least not just moving one cell phoned self esteem issues idjit around as wastefully as possible.
    Real HumVees (the military kind) weep at the pretense.

Quoth eltf177 View Post
    Exactly what I was wondering, if you're smart enough to get into college you _should_ be smart enough to read/understand signs and have a least a bit of common sense...
    You'd think. But then you have to remember helicopter parents who do everything for their little speshul snowflakes. Poor kids really have not been prepared on how to deal with the real world on their own; Arga's told us stories before about the EW parents.

Hmph. When I got my first and only parking ticket (on campus as it happens), my parents were NOT sympathetic. They basically told me to suck it up and deal, and park legally next time.

I've never had a parking ticket since.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Two questions about the notes:

1. Do you ever bother to call the numbers on them?

2. Has there ever been a time one has actually worked?
      No, never at all and No, never at all
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I have only twice gotten parking tickets, and only once contested it.
        Once, I knew I was risking a ticket, and I hoped I wouldn't get one, but wasn't surprised.
        The other was kind of BS though. The rules as posted.
        1. Students may only park in spaces with yellow lines.
        2. Spaces with blue lines are restricted to faculty only.
        I parked in a space that had a yellow line on one side and a blue line on the other, and was issued a ticket for parking in faculty parking.
        I asked the logical question, how, when it isn't posted anywhere in the paperwork that came with the permit, or anywhere on the signage in the lot, are we supposed to know whether a space like that is student or faculty.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've never had an actual parking ticket or tow *crosses fingers*, tho I've had a couple of the usual mini-MV tickets like a (complete BS!) 'rolling stop' at a stop sign when i just happened to be on duty for PizzaJoint and had my lighted sign on my car
          ~_~

My brother, on the other hand....My fave, and one of the few he tried to contest (unsuccessfully) was in a pay-as-you leave lot back in college. They didn't force cars out who were parking overnight (expressly forbidden), and they never adjusted the "lot full" sign to account for times waaay after hours when they would just raise the exit gate and let people leave for free -- so the Lot Full sign NEVER came on.

Bro once parked there on a yellow-striped zone (no idea WHY it was striped, tho -- no footpaths or anything near it) because every real spot was taken and he didn't wanna pay to get out (fat chance he'd get reimbursed, as it was an unattended open air lot). He tried to fight it, but the law won, as it were.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

a little too blue to be orange
            This made me

Love the one who thinks that a street between two parking lots means they're "connected". Reminds me of these two dum-dums Jay Leno used to have on his show. They came from one of his "Jaywalking" episodes. Anybody else remember Kip and Kim?

And the "I think this is the right place" one..... Riiight, you thought that four block walk from your parking lot to your apt building was intentional?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              I absolutely love the logic behind this! Reductio ad absurdum: I can park in LA w/ a NY permit. Hey, they're all connected, right?
              Nope, but you can park in CA with a LA permit. Think about it for a bit.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
              The other was kind of BS though. The rules as posted.
              1. Students may only park in spaces with yellow lines.
              2. Spaces with blue lines are restricted to faculty only.
              I parked in a space that had a yellow line on one side and a blue line on the other, and was issued a ticket for parking in faculty parking.
              I asked the logical question, how, when it isn't posted anywhere in the paperwork that came with the permit, or anywhere on the signage in the lot, are we supposed to know whether a space like that is student or faculty.
              The proper way of dealing with "boundary" spaces like this is a double line: at the dividing line between the spaces, instead of a single line, they paint a blue line on the "faculty" side of the boundary and a yellow line on the "student" side of the boundary. That way, the student space will have yellow lines on both sides, and the faculty space will have blue lines on both sides. I've seen it done with handicapped vs. able-bodied spaces.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                No, never at all and No, never at all
                That actually half surprises me simply because I would have thought that some dumb rookie driver might have fallen for one at some point in time.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Slightly off topic but related to the "Bros" section. I can't stand the stupid commercials for Carles Jr. (I think) advertising "Brotein" burgers and bowls. Really only male peoples could possibly need a high protein diet/be athletic? Also sure they are loaded with protein...and fat, sodium, cholesterol etc. sigh. I can't stand bros either and have even less patience with companies trying WAY TOO HARD to sound cool and/or pick up a certain demographic. Rule 1 if you have to try that hard to be cool you aren't cool.

PS Every time I see an Arga post I know its going to be good. Thank you for letting your headaches be our entertainment. =D

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    It makes me wonder how these people passed their driving test, or got into college.
                    The problem is parking not driving.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Actually, I've noticed on at least a couple occasions that the car/truck that just cut me off, or pulled in front of someone else who didn't have a stop sign, or otherwise did something that just made you shake your head, was one I know I've towed before.

The one common trend they all have, obliviousness

Oblivious to rules, oblivious to situation, oblivious to just about everything that doesn't immediately give them a reward. 90% of my tows would go away overnight if people just PAID ATTENTION to something other than themselves.
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
                        Slightly off topic but related to the "Bros" section. I can't stand the stupid commercials for Carles Jr. (I think) advertising "Brotein" burgers and bowls. Really only male peoples could possibly need a high protein diet/be athletic? Also sure they are loaded with protein...and fat, sodium, cholesterol etc. sigh. I can't stand bros either and have even less patience with companies trying WAY TOO HARD to sound cool and/or pick up a certain demographic. Rule 1 if you have to try that hard to be cool you aren't cool.

PS Every time I see an Arga post I know its going to be good. Thank you for letting your headaches be our entertainment. =D
                        I very rarely eat at Carl's Jr. because their ad campaigns are always IMO obnoxious, vulgar, or both. Bragging about how messy their food is is NOT appetizing, TYVM. Nor is Paris Hilton (their pet spokes"model").
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm kinda glad I've never actually seen one of their TV ads (we have Hardee's (same thing) here) -- I don't watch enough TV to really justify paying the cost for it, so I just head over to my brother's house if I need a fix Only marketing I see from them are their absurdly-well-discounted newspaper coupons (some are in excess of 60% off (especially on breakfast stuff), and their base pricing is relatively close to the major chains around here)
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            I very rarely eat at Carl's Jr. because their ad campaigns are always IMO obnoxious, vulgar, or both. Bragging about how messy their food is is NOT appetizing, TYVM. Nor is Paris Hilton (their pet spokes"model").
                            I eat their occasionally, the food is good and all, and the ads amuse me. Think about it, the other companies are either trying to convince you that their food is healthy or pretty, or both. Carl's/Hardees basically says f••• that, its bad for you, messy, but tastes great, come enjoy. Gotta love the honesty there.

On the subject, parking tickets... Mmmm, only one in my 20 or so year carreer as a delivery driver, failure to activate hazards in a loading zone. Down in Tucson, expensive ticket, more so if you pay it late, $250 (yes, you can pay it late, there's a late fee on the ticket, but they will arrest you if they catch you before its paid).
                            Seph
                            Taur10
                            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

On the subject of parking tickets...just got one at work.... I try to follow rules but the signage in this lot is less than clear and on the ticket the machine spits out it doesn't say where you can or cannot park. I appealed it online as soon as I got home. The last one I appealed I had to call and go SC on their ass because the denied the appeal even though I attached the picture proving the parking dude was an idiot as I had a clearly displayed daily permit from the kiosk. Hell for a permanent permit we pay over 80 bucks a month. Sigh.
                              Last edited by pudddykat; 09-09-2014, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I'll be over here, THINKING about how long I have to wait before I can start drinking today and not look desperate.
                                The only people who look desperate when drinking is people who are desperate. This includes alcoholics. But no matter the time, if you're comfortable with yourself, your drinking will not look desperate. I've had beer with my breakfast at 8 am, out and about, and I didn't look desperate. Why? Because I wasn't.

Will some people still think it's wrong to drink earlier in the day? Sure. But people are stupid. You of all people should know that by now. So drink up, my friend!

I'm glad I'm not your professor this semester, I can't imagine having to deal with three months of answers you THINK are right in the face of overwhelming proof that they are not.
                                Two middle-aged women were sitting at my bar having a debate. I asked them what it was about. They were arguing about the number of full-time residents Key West has. I told them that over the years, I'd seen numbers ranging from 23,000 to 25,000, give or take. The one woman nodded, and the other shook her head, saying it was much lower. Out of curiosity I asked her how much lower. "8,000." Say WHAT?!? Since it wasn't busy, I broke out my iPad and looked it up. Every single site I found gave figures along the lines of what me and the first woman had said, numbers I had heard for my entire 15 years here. The second woman insisted that I wasn't looking in the right place, even though EVERY SITE I FOUND agreed with the higher numbers. Finally she broke out with, "Well, I just don't believe it."

To which I immediately shot back, "You not believing a fact doesn't make it any less of a fact."

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                                Exactly what I was wondering, if you're smart enough to get into college you _should_ be smart enough to read/understand signs and have a least a bit of common sense...
                                By that logic, only smart people get jobs that pay them well enough to take vacations to places like Key West.

My experiences as a bartender here say otherwise.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                                Two questions about the notes:

1. Do you ever bother to call the numbers on them?

2. Has there ever been a time one has actually worked?
                                I can actually think of some notes that would probably work for one or the other, or both, but the problem is, anyone who was in those positions are not the type of people to park illegally and leave a note.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                                See, the problem is, you're using logic. Which clearly was not at play when the original painters painted the spaces, nor is in play now with the people enforcing such things.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                The proper way of dealing with "boundary" spaces like this is a double line: at the dividing line between the spaces, instead of a single line, they paint a blue line on the "faculty" side of the boundary and a yellow line on the "student" side of the boundary. That way, the student space will have yellow lines on both sides, and the faculty space will have blue lines on both sides. I've seen it done with handicapped vs. able-bodied spaces.
                                Yes, but that would involve forethought, something clearly not possessed but the people who painted the place in question, and logic, something clearly not possessed by said painters or the people who currently run the place. See my comments to Smiley above.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                I've had a couple of the usual mini-MV tickets like a (complete BS!) 'rolling stop' at a stop sign...
                                My very first ticket ever (along with my very first time being pulled over by a cop) was when I was 20, and it was for a "rolling stop" at a stop sign.

It drives a lot of my friend nuts that to this day I come to a complete and total stop at every stop sign!

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                Riiight, you thought that four block walk from your parking lot to your apt building was intentional?
                                I've actually seen some places do exactly that. Of course, it's a rarity, and only occurs in places that parking is at a premium, like downtown Key West, or NYC, or other such places where it's not that odd a thing to have your building's parking be several blocks away from your actual building.

But again, that is the exception, and very rare at that.

Quoth Seanette View Post
                                Bragging about how messy their food is is NOT appetizing, TYVM. Nor is Paris Hilton.
                                I disagree with you on the first point, but completely agree with you on the second.

Quoth Javarod View Post
                                I eat their occasionally, the food is good and all, and the ads amuse me. Think about it, the other companies are either trying to convince you that their food is healthy or pretty, or both. Carl's/Hardees basically says f••• that, its bad for you, messy, but tastes great, come enjoy. Gotta love the honesty there.
                                I do appreciate their honesty, and as far as fast food goes, they're pretty damn tasty. I ate quite often at Carl's Jr. in college, but it's been years since I've eaten at one, as they don't exist in Key West, and when I am back in Phoenix, I have better places to eat.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X