This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But it's for a wedding!"

It's nearing the end of the dreaded wedding season, and I'm over it. Done. I don't care about your stupid wedding, got it? This event is nearly as bad as Christmas or Thanksgiving in that people do not have reasonable expectations.

1. "Can I order this fabric, but different? I need it to match for a wedding."
    2. "Can't you cut me a bigger sample, it's for a wedding."
    3. "You don't have more? It's for a wedding tomorrow."
    4. "I want to return this clearance fabric, we didn't need it for the wedding."
    5. "This burlap has flaws, it can't, it's for a wedding."

1. If I have no number, I can't order it. Mostly, if you don't see it, we don't carry it.
    2. I can only GIVE away small samples. You need to PAY if you want more.
    3. No, I don't have more, I don't have a hidden "in case of last minute wedding" stash.
    4. The back of the receipt says no returns on red tag, it doesn't say "unless it was for a wedding."
    5. Burlap comes with those "flaws." They are not something I can avoid, it's just the way that fabric is.

I have been involved in wedding planning (not my own) and it is expensive. I've been sent out the day of a wedding to pick up last minute crap. It's not fun, but I didn't run into a store and yell "I need tablecloths for a wedding! Stop what you're doing and heeeeeeeelp meeeeeee!"
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I will never understand why people need all that fancy crap for weddings anyway. All you need is a justice of the peace and $35 or so.

Comment

Nah, a justice of the peace and $35 gets you a CEREMONY. A WEDDING is a guaranteed nightmare, and completely different from a ceremony. An overpriced crap 3-hour party that could end up costing more than your own house and you're still paying it off long after you get divorced. A day that brings dread to checkbooks, and all because of some high-priced fantasy that girls have dreamed about since they were little. So in that case, people still are stupid enough to try to buy half of what is needed for a wedding checklist only a day or two before the actual ceremony, and they expect everyone to cater to them, because after all, weddings are really just a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR industry. Ouch! And who is paying for all this???

Comment

lol and that's why we eloped to vegas and had an Elvis wedding, $440 including the Elvis impersonater, justice of the peace, limo and our name up in lights on the strip. he rented the tux and i made my own dress. totally awesome!! weddings do not have to cost a fortune and ours was so much fun!
        there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

And the honeymoon...
          ;o)

Comment

I'm avoiding the whole wedding thing by being one of Raps's fellow W.A.N.K.ers.

But now I think if I ever do have one, I'll take the Elvis wedding.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Why, oh why do people wait until the last minute for damned near everything these days? I agree with the ridiculousness of weddings; hubby and I got married at the courthouse for $160 (including the license) and then we threw a big party with snack foods and lots of beer. Easy, fun, cheap
              Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                Why, oh why do people wait until the last minute for damned near everything these days?
                ...ESPECIALLY for weddings. It's not like most folks don't plan them for six or twelve (or more!) months ahead...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's a good thing that me and Bill aren't gonna do everything last minute. BTW I didn't know there was a such thing as a wedding season.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                    A WEDDING is a guaranteed nightmare, and completely different from a ceremony. An overpriced crap 3-hour party that could end up costing more than your own house and you're still paying it off long after you get divorced. A day that brings dread to checkbooks, and all because of some high-priced fantasy that girls have dreamed about since they were little.
                    Only if you do it the stupid way. Our wedding was inexpensive. I went to an outlet store and got my dress for $150 and my maid of honor's dress for $50 (and they were pretty dresses, simple but nice satin with a little lace trim). Picked an inexpensive chapel, got the food from the local grocery store, family members gave us silk flower arrangements and helped serve the food. I think it cost us maybe $1500 at the absolute most, and we're still together 24 years later.
                    Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
                    It's a good thing that me and Bill aren't gonna do everything last minute. BTW I didn't know there was a such thing as a wedding season.
                    You've heard of a "June Wedding"? Well, it's kind of tradition to marry in the summertime, I'm not sure why. We married in November, but that's because we lived in Phoenix and didn't want all our relatives dying of heatstroke on our wedding day.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier
                      You've heard of a "June Wedding"? Well, it's kind of tradition to marry in the summertime, I'm not sure why.
                      It has to do with the farming "seasons". June allowed the people the travel as it wasn't a critical planting season, but was still nice enough to travel (so, not winter). Another tidbit - the bridal bouquet originally had a different purpose. Since women were at the bottom of the "bath schedule", and baths were only taken weekly, the bride would hold some flowers to mask her body odor.

Comment

I've been married twice.

First wedding, 1972, cost about $700; $4,000 in today's money. Second wedding, 1985, cost about $400; less than $1,000 in today's money. Both of them, that's the whole wedding, not just the dress.

I've been to weddings where just the dress cost several times both my weddings combined. Including inflation.

I just don't get it.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                          I've been married twice.

First wedding, 1972, cost about $700; $4,000 in today's money. Second wedding, 1985, cost about $400; less than $1,000 in today's money. Both of them, that's the whole wedding, not just the dress.

I've been to weddings where just the dress cost several times both my weddings combined. Including inflation.

I just don't get it.
                          That's because you are 1) not self centered, and 2) have some sense of the fact someone has to pay for all of this.

My Dad paid for my wedding. But I didn't want to have a big expensive fuss. What money we did spend was mostly to placate my Mother.

The ceremony was close family only at the Reverend's house. The reception was a big party at a relative's house
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My mom budgeted $1500 but it ended up costing over $2000 for a wedding at her house. And she made the dresses. She knew enough to start early. You can't leave hand-made clothes until the last minute.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                              Why, oh why do people wait until the last minute for damned near everything these days?
                              Working at the bridal store, and the phone rings. It's a member of the wedding party, 75 miles away. Can somebody deliver the flower girl dress to the wedding today? Manager is a good sport, sort of, and asked if any customers were heading to Not-so-nearby-Town this afternoon. None were.

Just for the record, it's a very simple process, this pick-up of dresses. A customer service-type person sits down each afternoon and phones each person who has an appointment the next day, reminds them of the time of their appointment.
                              even if they couldn't come by for the appointment that was scheduled three or four weeks ago, they've been reminded the dress is ready.

Family called again Monday and wanted a refund on the altered flower girl dress because after all, they never got to use it. It was our fault because we wouldn't deliver it. Uhh, no.

Comment

Working...
                              X