This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Thursday/Friday Debriefing Thread 2017

It's that time again, kids, where we express our gratitude and appreciation for the things we have, by fighting, trampling and shoving others for things we don't.

So if you are working, or just shopping, when and what tomfoolery did you encounter? World Star Hip Hop can't be everywhere.

And if you're not, what is your respite from the craziness?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Jumping the gun a bit Irv? We aint even to Turkey Day yet. Though I do look forward to hearing the stories.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

thankfully as i don't do retail anymore i will avoid the nuttiness, but i will be working to keep the planes in the air for all of you traveling this year.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

2018? Did you get a time machine? Anyway, not to rub it in, but I am relieved I don't have to do it. I have frightening visions of yet another head injury. I just can't be in that mall this weekend and I don't have to.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Fixed the year. Pesky bloody time lords. >_<
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm gonna stay home and be thankful, eat, and watch football. Friday I might be going to a high school football playoff game.

Most (if not all) of the gifts I purchase this year will be purchased online -- thus avoiding malls altogether.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'll be working my usual night shift. Not planning on going out, but I plan on playing a 6 year old game on a 9 month old console.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Family on Thursday, fleeing the country on Friday.

You know... traditions. ;-)
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Even though Canada's turkey day is long over with, many stores still do the Black Long Weekend thing here. I ventured out last year after work to hit a sale, and the store wasn't entirely crazy at that time of day. But it was also late afternoon when I was out. The sales clerk I was speaking to said it was insane that morning, and she figured it would be nuts again after everybody had supper.

HOM has already been hinting at making me do a shift at one of the mall stores Suckitas has a contract with, but I'm ignoring those hints. If she forces it I'll laugh in her face - I won't do it for less than $25/hr, and because it would be overtime, she'd had to suck on those costs.

Comment

I work in an animal clinic. We're closed Thursday, then open on Friday. I'm SUPPOSED to be off Friday, have plans, but got called in to work afternoon/evening. Just 3-7, but damn, didn't want to go in. Tiny hospital, and I am needed...

Going to a Harvest Festival on Friday morning, before I go in to work. That's the very last of the shopping I need to do, the rest is already in my bedroom!

Comment

I work in a major mall on the East Coast of USA. They are opening 6pm-1am Thanksgiving.
                      Then re-opening at 6am on Black Friday.

FORTUNATELY... I work for a retail company that refuses to open on Thanksgiving. Also, we aren't opening until 7am on Black Friday.

I always get the opening shift for one reason.
                      I bake. I bake really well. If they want lots of baked goods for the potluck on Black Friday, I get the 6am shift, because that's the shift I want.

Done.
                      "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                      "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

I'll be on my Seattle to Dallas leg of my trip home tomorrow. I have a six hour layover in Seattle tonight and then fly out early tomorrow morning. I plan on cooking the actual dinner on Friday..
                        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I have the day off, which was easy to do because historically, Black Friday is the slowest day of the year at food stamp offices. I don't know if its because people just assume that we are closed or because they are all out shopping.

I was lucky enough to also be able to get Black Monday off because that is usually the busiest day of the year and everyone is mad because we were closed on Black Friday.

Comment

I've been off all week (yay teaching!) and the boy is off -surprisingly - Friday. I guess everybody got their cheese platters today and won't need them then.

We might try going out Friday night to a local bar with some friends, but I doubt we'll do any real shopping.

Comment

I'll be doing what I always do on Black Friday. TV, sewing, ice cream. And hoping none of my retail friends get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X