This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being young = Stupid

An old story of mine, thought about this when I saw this same situation at a grocery store. I am also amazed that some SCs think that being young means that we know nothing. I'm not saying us youth know everything but there are some things we are good at. I've seen some stupid youth myself working at Whiskeyclone.

As you all know I was usually stuck in the VIP Lot or the MUSA lot. At one point I was being put in MUSA more often for whatever reason and I was usually left in charge for certain areas (Bank Row and Musa being one of them.)

This usually did not go over well with my SCs. MUSA is a reserved lot, people have their own parking spaces and they pay a lot for these spots. Now I rarely had any MUSA spot holders act like SCs, they kept to themselves most of the time and knew the rules.

Anyway, one cold February evening of this year I (A 19 year old me) am standing around just watching traffic go by and answering the occasional question. Just a normal night for once. A SUV pulls up with the driver asking me if there's a handicap spot available in MUSA which he points to. In the car is his buddy and the driver's wife. I tell them that there are not any handicap spots in there. I point them out to the lot we have set up which is the same distance from MUSA to the entrance. They snapped.

"LET US IN!! WE HAVE A RIGHT TO PARK IN THERE!" They screamed.

I tell them that I can't, I follow company policy and it would anger our spot holders. They ask me why, I give my spiel of "This is a reserved lot, people pay for a spot of their own and it wouldn't be fair to them if I gave a spot to someone who doesn't own a spot."

So what they ask, your going to get people who won't show up.

I can't predict who is going to show up and who isn't going to show up, I tell them that unless you have a pass with a spot number FOR THIS GAME you can get in, otherwise you have to go this way. *I point to my right*

They ask for the person in charge I tell them that I'm in charge. They freak.

"You're IN CHARGE!?!?! HOW OLD ARE YOU!?"

"19, and I know what I'm doing." I reply.

Then they go off on a rant about me being young and stupid (Yeah right, I worked Whiskeyclone for 2 years and I know every little thing about it.) they whine that I shouldn't be in charge. I've had it.

"Here's the deal, you do not have a PASS. I cannot let you in without a pass. Unless you remember that you have a pass with a specific spot number on it. The holders in this lot understand that, and the guests in this lot understand that when they come here. No pass, no entry. Simple concept."

Speechless, they drive off with their tires squealing. I get back to my duties.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Today going to the Bills - Bengals game, I pull in my usual entrance to the parking lots. There are three lanes set up for payment, the one on the left no one is in, so I drive over to the girl standing there. Since we pre-paid for parking this season, I have a hanging tag on my mirror, and just need to hand her the stub off the bottom of it. As I'm pulling away, I see a pickup going through the same lane as me, but without a parking tag. Past the payment lanes, the road splits, people with tags go straight (closer to the stadium) and regulars (without tags) go right into a lot. I get waved through by the lot attendant, then I watch my mirror, and sure enough, the truck is thinking of following me. I see the attendant keep waving his orange flag at the driver to go right, but he keeps going straight. The attendant ended up having to jump in front of the truck to get him to stop and then explain to him about the tags.

Comment

Also, older co-workers seem to think that because we're young, we "get over" any injustices we suffer at work. WTF brings this on?

Me: ...Holy #$%^. I have to work the next 14 days in a row.
      Them: Ah, you're young, you can handle it.

Wha'? I'm simultaneously moving, starting my first two weeks of college, and working for two consecutive weeks. How about a little sympathy?

Me: Hey, Boss, why is it that I'm the WHOLE SHOW (the only cashier) about 1/2 an hour into my shift every day?
      Her: You're young, you'll get over it!

Right. We have two people out. For several weeks. COVER THEIR SHIFTS. You're the boss, you can handle the schedule (incidentally, she cannot. different rant.). Trying to keep a 7-person deep line happy by myself is ****ing exhausting.
      Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
      {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

I had a co-worker who appointed herself my surrogate mommy/guidance counselor because she was older than me... which is weird, because I wasn't the youngest person at my job, and this co-worker wasn't even out of her 30s. Every little error I'd make, she tell me in this icky "soothing" voice, "It's all right, you're young, you'll learn!". Gah.

Topic! Yeah, back in my not so glorious bagger days, I had customers asking me when would I pick a major, what did I want to do with my life, etc. I just wanted to snap,
        "So, when you were my age, you knew EXACTLY what you wanted to do with your life, huh?"

I honestly don't know which is worse: being young and having no one take you seriously or being old and miserable.
        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Marxfan View Post
          I had a co-worker who appointed herself my surrogate mommy/guidance counselor because she was older than me... which is weird, because I wasn't the youngest person at my job, and this co-worker wasn't even out of her 30s. Every little error I'd make, she tell me in this icky "soothing" voice, "It's all right, you're young, you'll learn!". Gah.
          I feel your pain, I always saw it as a "I'm better than you even though no one respects me" bit.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth MrDelirious View Post
            Me: ...Holy #$%^. I have to work the next 14 days in a row.
            Them: Ah, you're young, you can handle it.

Me: Hey, Boss, why is it that I'm the WHOLE SHOW (the only cashier) about 1/2 an hour into my shift every day?
            Her: You're young, you'll get over it!
            The proper answer to this, but one almost guarunteed to piss them off, is, "And you're old enough to know better!"
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
            X