X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to Gettysburg...Yet another Photo Thread

http://michiganexposures.blogspot.co...ieldagain.html

My mom and I went to Gettysburg last week.

Interesting and informative. Thanks!
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
      Interesting and informative. Thanks!
      Thanks for commenting. I always love your threads....

Comment

Thanks for the post! Col. O'Rorke led the 140th NY (from my hometown of Rochester.) They were heading for another part of the battlefield when a general from outside their Division frantically demanded they reinforce LRT. O'Rorke was hesitant to go against orders of his command but the general said he would take responsibility. They got to the top just in time to beat back a Confederate advance.

The fence style is called "Virginia Worm" or "Sawbuck".

The General on horseback appears to be Robert E. Lee himself on his horse, Traveler (was the statue near Pickett's Charge?)

Sykes didn't die at Gettysburg, only General Reynolds, commander of the Union 1st Corps, did. I don't know what the cannon like that means, but a General that was killed is represented by an equestrian statue with two of the horses' legs raised. One leg raised means he was wounded. Reynolds' statue is NW of the town near the Seminary and Oak Ridge where he was killed on Day 1.

Apprently an upright cannon barrel was the site of an HQ for a Major General. Did not know that. Interesting: http://battleofgettysburgbuff.com/Odds_and_Ends.htm
        Last edited by Caveat Emptor; 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM.
        Testing
        "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

I wasn't on the part of the Battlefield where the Lee statue was.

I thought the cannon marked the spot where a General was killed but maybe it's the down cannon.

This is what I was thinking of

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/ust...--Antietam.htm
          Last edited by mikoyan29; 04-17-2012, 03:46 AM.

Comment

The picture of the "general" on LRT isn't a General, it's Gouveneur (sp?) Warren, one of the lead Engineers for the Union side. He's credited with seeing the Confederates that were advancing on LRT and recognizing the dangerous tactical situation on Day 2 when Sickles advanced forward and left LRT exposed.

Sedgwick wasn't killed or wounded at GB, he was killed during the Battle of Spotsylvania, VA in 1864. He was on horseback and the unit was taking Conf. sniper fire. He was advised to get off his horse and take cover, but he arrogantly replied "They couldn't hit a bull elephant at this distance...!" BANG!! Famous Last Words...

The statue I thought was Lee is actually General Meade, commander of the Army of the Potomac: http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels...uals/Meade.php
            Last edited by Caveat Emptor; 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM.
            Testing
            "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
              The picture of the "general" on LRT isn't a General, it's Gouveneur (sp?) Warren, one of the lead Engineers for the Union side. He's credited with seeing the Confederates that were advancing on LRT and recognizing the dangerous tactical situation on Day 2 when Sickles advanced forward and left LRT exposed.
              And again thank you. He looked like a leader of some sort with the binoculars and all. I didn't walk around to the front because I thought I would actually obey the sign that said, "stay on the paved paths".

Comment

Working...
              X