This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not yours. Don't touch.

So part of my job when I'm teaching is that I accompany the students when they first step in to the show world and their first competition. This is to watch and give feedback as well as to ensure safety. Showing is stressful and the riders will adjust themselves accordingly most of the time without really being aware of it. The horse's are usually one of three types.

Either the horse has a long history of blue ribbons and gives no fucks.

The horse and rider are both completely green to competition and their feeding each others fear and insecurity.

The horse knows what it should be doing because it's been there done that but the rider's fears and insecurities are making them short tempered/tense/spastic/ otherwise confusing the horse. The horse then keeps trying to correct itself to what the riders asking of it but gets more and more irritated when it can't seem to do anything right and doesn't understand why the riders acting so weird.

It's my job to observe and give back feedback or correct the human. Sometimes I have to step in and tell them to take a good hard look at the last 5 minutes. They usually understand that they've been either confusing/frustrating their horse by giving out contradictory aids or the horse is acting up because it's picking up on the humans fear and anticipation.

Most of these kids have parents who dropped a couple grand on a horse (thinking that if it won ribbons before it can totally do so again. Not realizing that the rider has a big part of that too), lessons, equipment, and they desperately want to win so that they can prove to their parents that it wasn't all a waste of time and money. So tensions run high.

Anyway. I usually start with entering the beginners in a morning division. Enter myself in an afternoon division or two so they can see the difference, and then enter the intermediate/advanced into later afternoon divisions.

Anyway. While I was straightening myself out and the horse was standing there tacked up and waiting warmup one of the girls from another stable (that I was also overseeing as a favour to a friend who was unable to attend due to injury) came over and tried to lead my horse away.

I stopped her and explained that the horse was mine. (Some of the kids from the other stable have their horses tacked up for them while their watching the ring's more experienced riders.) she claimed it was hers and I had put the wrong tack on and 'God, don't I even know how to tack a horse properly.' Snotty brat. And then the parent got into it.

So I asked to see their papers. It turns out that their horse was A) an entirely different breed and B) an entirely different colour.

It turns out that the person who was supposed to be helping get the horses ready had buggered off somewhere and their horse was still tied to the other side of the trailer waiting to be tacked (thankfully already groomed). One of the reasons (aside from the obvious amount of riders present) I needed someone to help was because I'm not familiar with the set up when it comes to western style riding. I ride English. I can do some cutting and reining on a really good horse and I can trail ride with western tack but that's the extent of my knowledge in that sphere. I've never been interested beyond a passing curiosity and so I never learned how to tack western. A lot of the things are the same. A saddle is a saddle, a bridle is a bridle. But things are still different enough that you need to be taught. For instance the stirrup length in a western saddle always feels like their about to come off for me. But that's got to do with how the horse is ridden. There's two entirely different ways of steering the horse. It is not my area and I'm not comfortable tacking someone else's horse given the inherent risks of the sport when you know what your doing.

Meanwhile, she's getting all upset because I'm 'clearly trying to pass off a lesser horse as theirs when I know damn well that it's not.' So while I've already sent someone to hunt the other person down to tack up her actual horse, I bring out my papers. I point to the ear tattoo and my papers showing the number and name of owner. Oh and then there's the breed. Then I point out the freeze mark. Not to mention... Stallion- mare.... Not even the same gender lady and believe me it's hard to miss the dangly bits on a horse.

This: (images from Google)
    https://goo.gl/images/RrLRbS (colour)
    https://goo.gl/images/ksTidF (Breed/body type)

Does not in any way resemble this: (images from Google)
    https://goo.gl/images/2ENC9m

It took having a vet come over and read the chip to prove that yes this was in fact my horse. Sorry, but if you can't tell your horse apart from other horses then clearly you don't spend enough time with it and probably shouldn't have one. Kid was probably hoping that if mommy pushed enough I'd give in because no doubt she's seen such happen before. I doubt mommy dearest could tell a horse from a mule and was merely going with what her daughter said. (Also kids aren't that great at hiding their facial expressions.)

Yes I'm aware my horse is beautiful. Yes I'm aware that he's the only PRE stallion on the island of his colour. I know he was born in Spain and is probably worth more then my house (networking people, don't underestimate it). That's alright, while they were leaving to collect their actual horse (and almost missed their call for warm up) he let out the loudest smelliest fart ever to come out of a horse's arse. I only wish he had done so in their faces. (Sadly while they couldn't differentiate their horse from someone else's, they did know better then to walk behind a strange horse. Not that they actually needed to walk behind to get to the other side of the trailer but hey, in my imagination they got a face full of fart).

Why do ppl keep doing this? Just cause I'm short and look all of 15 does not mean I'm intimidated by you. Fuck off ppl.

God I love how cut-throat the horse world can be sometimes.
    Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 06-16-2017, 02:12 AM.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

I suppose if they're newbies, it's not too surprising they aren't too good at differentiating between breeds yet. But ... colour? And gender?? Wow.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeah but the Arab has a very distinct look. It's hard to miss the characteristic dished face. Not to mention the foot long penis. Maybe the mother just isn't that familiar with penises?
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

So, that was a horse of a different color?

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
        Maybe the mother just isn't that familiar with penises?
        Well, based on circumstantial evidence, we know of only one time she definitely saw one....

It's been 20 years since mine passed away, and I could still pick him out of a lineup no matter how big.

I wonder how I got lucky and in all my years of sporadic and low-intensity showing, I never met another crazy person. A few spoiled ones, sure, but that's to be expected in the biz.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          ...It's been 20 years since mine passed away, and I could still pick him out of a lineup no matter how big...
          Erm. You are talking about your horse, I hope.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ahem, that part of me has not "passed away"

Yet.....

And for YOUR information, I can pick that one out of a lineup too! If I couldn't, there'd be some.... problems.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              I suppose if they're newbies, it's not too surprising they aren't too good at differentiating between breeds yet. But ... colour? And gender?? Wow.
              I know I'd have trouble distinguishing horse breeds, having very little direct experience with horses. I could certainly distinguish colors.

And I sure as hell could tell whether I'm dealing with a male or a female, and almost certainly could have done so even in single-digit ages (I'd had enough other pets to be aware of the anatomical distinctions).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Some breeds I can see confusing with each other. Andalusians and lusitanos look a lot alike. And I certainly can't tell the difference between the classic Arab, the Egyptian Arab, and the Spanish Arab without a lot of effort and that's seeing them side by side. Or some of the taller appy horses for knabstrupper. But confusing an Arab for an adalusian? One has delicate features, a defined dished face and the other is heavy set with shorter proportions (shorter legs, thicker neck). Not to mention that due to the Arabian breed not possessing the Cr gene it is genetically impossible to have a purebred Perlino Arab. Perlino is a colour where two Cr genes act on a specific coat colour. It's also impossible to have a true palomino(a single cr gene) if it's 100% pure (keeping in mind that by North American standards 'pure' is defined as Arabian horses with Arabian ancestry back to 5 generations. If there's something in that 6th generation or further back it's still considered by the North American registries as being 'purebred'). Although there are some fantastic mimics. For instance certain golden chesnuts with the flaxen mane/tail gene can present as palomino but genetically aren't. There have been many cases of a horse (not just Arabs) registered as a colour because it strongly resembles one but is in fact something else genetically. Adding confusion to this is some horse's despite evidence to the contrary were grandfathered in and remain under a registry that they don't in fact meet.

Also penis. I'm sorry but I can't get over the who mistaken gender thing. Stallion and gelding I could see. But how do you miss that your horse has no dangling bits?

That's alright though. I had a friend's Mawari horse confused for a quarter horse... And an American Paint... How you miss those ears though... (https://goo.gl/images/eeTu6S and yes their entire breed has the weird ears.)

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                  I had a friend's Mawari horse confused for a quarter horse.
                  And I had that entitled brat and her gene donor confused for half horses - the half that doesn't eat hay.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Well, based on circumstantial evidence, we know of only one time she definitely saw one....
                    Sorry, Arga, but you don't know that that's true. She could very well have had her back turned while the deed was being performed, or it could have been in the dark.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      .... She could very well have had her back turned ... or it could have been in the dark.
                      ... or she could have been thinking of ENGLAND...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I would have loved to see the expressions on their faces if you had pointed to certain parts of your horse and asked: "Excuse me, miss, but does your horse have a PENIS?" Yes, with the emphasis.

Maybe I'm an outrageous optimist, but I'm imagining that would have shut them both up and made them turn all sorts of interesting colors!!
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I know a Palomino is golden with cream mane and tail while a Morgan is dark brown with black tail and mane. Can I tell golden or brown horses apart by breed? Nope. But I can confidently say that if a horse has a penis he is definitely NOT female.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            She could very well have had her back turned while the deed was being performed, or it could have been in the dark.
                            Or it could have been a turkey baster . . .

Comment

Dear God, I'm sorry to have unleashed this on the thread.

Here, let's look at the nice horsey and get back on track

And man, was 1988 really that long ago? Wow.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3c&oe=59E77292

Comment

Working...
                              X