This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Came Early, I Got a Huge Present

So, down at my Grandma's for Thanksgiving.

She, who is over 90 in age at this point, decided that she'd be hanging up the driving goggles this year and wouldn't be needing her car anymore, and, if I wanted it, I was welcome to it, since she'd like it to go to a good home and not just rust in the garage.

Yeah, garage, as in, it's been IN the garage since 2007, hasn't moved. But if I can get it to start, I can drive it home.

I got it to start.

I drove it home

And for being an old car, it can still do 70 and keep up with the rest of the traffic on the interstate just fine.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5681/2...14c34b69_b.jpg

Not bad for a 74' Ford Gran Torino
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I hate you.

Unless, of course, you decide that you want to sell it.

Sweeeeet!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Nice!

My 84yo MIL has an 80 something Buick in her garage that my middle son is lusting after. Unfortunately for DS, when MIL gets rid of the car, it'll probably go to one of her actual grandchildren and not a step grandchild (who's not even legally a "step"...BF and I aren't actually married, though we live like we are).
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Very nice!

My first car was also a gift from my grandmother; back in 1987 she gave me her 1962 Dodge Dart when she decided she didn't want to deal with traffic anymore. I loved that car. I hope yours brings you as much joy.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Anybody hear the voice of Clint Eastwood???

Comment

You jammy git. That is awesome, I covet your oxen.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
              Anybody hear the voice of Clint Eastwood???
              I heard the theme song to Starsky and Hutch.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think Eastwood's was a 72', just a year or so earlier, you can tell because it didn't have that government-mandated crash bumper on the front like this one does. Those became required on US cars around that time.

Comment

Now you just need to fill the car with friends and pull up to Sonic in your PimpMobile..
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh, man. That is gorgeous! Lucky stiff.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Forgot to ask, what is under the hood?
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

You might want to check with some old car "experts" (local classic car shows/cruise nights are a good place) about fuel additives. Back then, leaded gas was the norm, and the lead content helped to prevent erosion of the valve seats (now, cars have hardened valve seat inserts in order to prevent erosion, but back then the valve seats were cut into the casting of the head - or the block, in the case of flathead engines). There are some additives out there which are designed to give the same protection that the lead did.

If you ever need to get the engine rebuilt (DON'T get a replacement engine - "matched numbers" are a BIG thing in terms of value), you might want to get hardened inserts installed in the head(s), but it's not worth opening the engine up just for that.

Also, some places have ethanol-free gas (frequently, only the premium is that way) for equipment that doesn't like ethanol. Cars that old fall into the "teetotaler" category.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          Forgot to ask, what is under the hood?
                          302 V8, w/ 2 BB Carb

Comment

Oh, you are a lucky man!
                            I love older cars!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              ...it didn't have that government-mandated crash bumper on the front like this one does.
                              The cars of that era that I am most familiar with got the 5 MPH bumpers in the 1974 or 1975 model years. Those cars were imports, though, and I know that the requirements on when things were required could be different for imported cars in the 60s and 70s.
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X