X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to talk to a woman!

More craziness from the phone lines...

Error NOT in your favor!

This one just bluescreened my brain. We cancelled a line for a guy but the rep who did accidentally it cancelled the wrong line. Okay, fair enough, this happens sometimes. We make the mistake, we take responsibility.

So we nicely tell the customer "our bad, we'll fix it for you". This of course involves waiving the reconnect fees and such.

But then he decides he wants to leave the line cancelled. I explain that sure, he can do that but a $150 Early Termination Fee will apply.

The guy blows his stack and starts ranting on me about how he should NOT have to pay that fee because we cancelled the line in error.

It took me FOUR attempts before he finally understood that yes, the line was cancelled in error and that's why we would waive fees to reconnect it but if he actually wanted it cancelled he'd have to pay the fee.

Suddenly, he decided he'd rather have the line reconnected.

Gender Bender

Unfortunately, most of us who have worked in customer service for any length of time are familiar with those SCs who will only do business with a certain type of person (and please, let's not run this into fratching!). I've had a handful of customers who either demand to talk to a man or refuse to talk to a woman, but this particular SC was odd in that she insisted on talking to another female.

Apparently she'd only been talking to male reps all day long and thought they were lying to her, so she wanted to talk to a woman. We didn't have any female managers around at that hour (call came in 45 minutes before close) and while I considered pitching my voice really high and making a go of it, I ultimately just gave her two options:

1. She could speak to yet another man (i.e. me)
    2. She could call back tomorrow if she was determined to speak to a woman.

She thanked me and said she'd call back tomorrow. Some people I just don't get.

English, Mother F*&^er, can you read it?

I hate wannabe legal experts. Seems like several times I week I get on manager calls with people who are convinced they know EXACTLY what our service agreement says and because it says X, Y or Z I MUST give them a free phone or let them out of their instalment plan without penalty, or give them a $500 credit for services NOT provided.

Of course it most certainly does NOT say those things, as a matter of fact, it says much the opposite in most cases. It's very detailed and very clearly lays out ALL THE THINGS you are agreeing to when you buy one of our phones and use our services.

But they still don't agree. Fine, go on, sue us, try and prove me wrong. I'll enjoy watching you waste your money fighting us.

But wait, there's more!

SC: I got two new lines last month. It was a buy one, get one free deal but I've been charged for both lines, what the hell??
    Me: I apologize for the confusion. The way that deal works is you get both phones on our SHARP Instalment plans and after you've had service for awhile on one of the devices, we send you a prepaid debit card for the cost of it. You still need to pay your activation fees and the monthly access charge on each line.
    SC: Access charge? Why do I need to pay an access charge?
    Me: Well there are essentially three parts to your phone bill. Device costs, access costs and taxes/fees.
    SC: I don't understand.
    Me:
    Me: You have to pay for your phone, you have to pay for the voice, text and data services we provide to the phone and you have to pay the taxes associated with each.
    SC: But it was supposed to be a FREE phone!!
    Me: And it is, after you've had the phone for a few months we send you a prepaid VISA card for the cost of the device.
    SC: The guy at the store said I wouldn't have to pay ANYTHING. You need to fix this right now.
    Me: I apologize if the store rep gave you incorrect information but there's really nothing me for to fix. I tell you what though, I'll waive all charges on that line for you for three months because of the error. Is that acceptable?
    SC: NO.
    Me: ...Okay, so what would you like me to do for you?
    SC: Make the line free.
    Me: Well as I said, the system won't let me do that. I can offer the credit like I said, but I can't waive the charges permanently.
    SC: Fine, just cancel that line then. I don't want it.
    Me: I can do that, but you will have to pay the remaining $642 on your instalment plan.
    SC: WHAT?!?!? HELL NO. Dude...this was a free phone. FREE PHONE. It shouldn't cost me a PENNY to cancel it!!
    Me: It is free in a sense but there are requirements for this promotion, one of which is you keep service with us for several months. If you want to cancel today, you will not meet that requirement and no longer be eligible for the promotion.
    SC: The guy at the store told me it would be FREE. Why the hell isn't it FREE?!?
    Me: I apologize again for the misinformation, would you like the three months of credit?
    SC: No, I want the phone to be FREE, as in I pay NOTHING for that line as long as I have it on my account!!
    Me: Well, I'm afraid I can't make that happen for you. You are welcome to go back to the store and discuss it with the manager there if you wish.
    SC: This is completely unacceptable. I'm going to go back to the store, throw these phones in the trash and take my businesses elsewhere!! *CLICK*

Sigh...I have a love/hate relationship with store reps. Now of course this SC could have been lying through his teeth about what the rep said but I know for a fact some of them tell the customers all manner of lies and half truths to get them to sign on the dotted line, subsequently leaving people like me to clean up the inevitable mess. And don't even get me started on our "authorized dealers"...

Short and sucky

PROTIP: If you want me to make a special exception for you calling me champ, sport, guy, boss, chief or sparky is NOT going to help your cause!
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 07-01-2016, 05:42 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

But wait, there's more!

SC: I got two new lines last month. It was a buy one, get one free deal but I've been charged for both lines, what the hell??
    Me: I apologize for the confusion. The way that deal works is you get both phones on our SHARP Instalment plans and after you've had service for awhile on one of the devices, we send you a prepaid debit card for the cost of it. You still need to pay your activation fees and the monthly access charge on each line.
    To tell you the truth, I can see how this can be confusing and appear deceiving.

I mean if you see an ad that promotes "buy one, get one free", but it really means you buy them and we eventually send you a check/prepaid card/whatever (because of the fine print, terms and conditions, etc...), I can see how people can think that's deceiving. They're thinking it means "free right away", whereas it really means "free, eventually".
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Perhaps if you explained it as a REBATE for the cost of the phone after X months?

*looks at name of forum*

... Nevermind ...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Dial 976-GET-NONE.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've had several customers tell me that they are happy that they got called by a woman, men are mean and don't understand how hard it is for a single mother to get by.

Every so often, someone gets mad at me and wants to talk to the man in charge. Management is all female, so I just page Tank. He's a man with a gun, surely he is in charge

Comment

There was only one time I had a customer want to talk to a woman instead. She was willing to tell me what she needed, but stated she would have rather ask a woman for what she needed. The tampon dispenser in the bathroom was all out and asked if we had any behind the desk. I handed her one and she was on her way.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

SC: But it was supposed to be a FREE phone!!
              Me: And it is, after you've had the phone for a few months we send you a prepaid VISA card for the cost of the device.
              SC: The guy at the store said I wouldn't have to pay ANYTHING. You need to fix this right now.
              So he thought that not only was the phone free, but that he wouldn't have to pay for service for that phone either? I mean, I got burned once with a store rep. I would say it was partly him, partly my fault. He made it sound like I would get a prepaid VISA card, the kind you can use anywhere that plastic is accepted. I ended up with essentially a gift card for Red Checkmark. I could only use it for their products. Not what I expected or wanted, but I learned my lesson and moved on. I can see what he's confused about not getting the money immediately but I can't imagine thinking that there would not be any charges for that phone LINE, ever. 'Cause the physical phone, and the phone services are different. But here I am trying to make logical sense, I'm not sure why I do that...
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

RE: The thread title

.... Confidentially, so would I! *wink* *wink*
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  RE: The thread title

.... Confidentially, so would I! *wink* *wink*
                  Say no more! Say no more!
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I've had a handful of customers who either demand to talk to a man or refuse to talk to a woman, but this particular SC was odd in that she insisted on talking to another female.
                    We have some trips that require a female driver. Many of those are from shelters for abused women, but some are just... requests for female drivers. When we get those calls, dispatch sends out a message on the terminals saying where and when the trip is, ladies please call in, because the one thing our system can't select by is driver's gender.

Carries a baby seat? Check. Driving a wheelchair van? Check. Qualified to drive for [government subsidized transportation]? Check. Female? ERROR, UNKNOWN STATUS, ABORT MISSION, DEATH IS THE ONLY WAY OUT
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      Perhaps if you explained it as a REBATE for the cost of the phone after X months?

*looks at name of forum*

... Nevermind ...
                      Quoth mjr View Post
                      To tell you the truth, I can see how this can be confusing and appear deceiving.

I mean if you see an ad that promotes "buy one, get one free", but it really means you buy them and we eventually send you a check/prepaid card/whatever (because of the fine print, terms and conditions, etc...), I can see how people can think that's deceiving. They're thinking it means "free right away", whereas it really means "free, eventually".
                      This was WHY I paid particular attention when I was upgrading my phone the other day. The special on the website said PRICE AFTER REBATE = $50. I go into chat with a CSR who was able to give me the FULL price plus tax that I would have to pay upfront of the phone I wanted.

I know from previous experience with my cellphone company that I have to send in some paper work to a 3d party rebate company and wait up to 10 weeks for my rebate to arrive.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        I know from previous experience with my cellphone company that I have to send in some paper work to a 3d party rebate company and wait up to 10 weeks for my rebate to arrive.
                        And then hope said 3rd party rebate company doesnt F$% your request up as they do way, WAY too often.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          We have some trips that require a female driver. Many of those are from shelters for abused women, but some are just... requests for female drivers. When we get those calls, dispatch sends out a message on the terminals saying where and when the trip is, ladies please call in, because the one thing our system can't select by is driver's gender.

Carries a baby seat? Check. Driving a wheelchair van? Check. Qualified to drive for [government subsidized transportation]? Check. Female? ERROR, UNKNOWN STATUS, ABORT MISSION, DEATH IS THE ONLY WAY OUT
                          Some women are just more comfortable traveling alone with a female driver. Even if that woman herself wasn't an abuse/crime victim, maybe a friend of hers was, or she's been catcalled way to many times, or she's just heard all the stories and is overly worried. I can understand this particular request, as well as the tampon request described earlier. Just for a phone rep though? I don't get that.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I wasn't saying I don't understand, more like, eh, none of my business.

A couple of my friends are women that drive wheelchair cabs. I asked about the trips once, and I was told that there is nothing different or unusual about most of them. It's generally, as you said, just women who are more comfortable being driven by another woman.

(I do have to wonder what would happen if a man called and asked for a female driver, though...)
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

And then hope said 3rd party rebate company doesnt F$% your request up as they do way, WAY too often.
                              Lucky for me I do not change phones that often (current one is like 4 years old) so I really do not have that much experience. The Running Fast phone company only started rebates maybe 6 or 7 years ago with a 2 years contract and new phone (which I just re-upped my contract so I could take advantage of more "modern" stuff like Wi-Fi, internet, maybe GPS, unlimited talk and text and a decent smartphone)
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X