This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which I Am Called "The Fat Girl"

a lady came up to me last night while i was covering the music department. she asked me where il divo was, and i directed her to said shit. she said she wanted a dual disc of one of their albums, but the album she was holding was not available in dual disc format. there was, however another one that was available in said format. she bought it.

five minutes later, manager H gets called to the front because a customer wants to talk to her. the customer just happened to be the lady i helped in music. the lady said, and i quote because i was within hearing range, "the fat girl in music was not very friendly. she was rude."

oh hell no. we didnt even interact long enough for her to jump to this conclusion. and WTF are you doing calling me "the fat girl?" WTF. you don't hear me going around calling you the stupid whore, do you?

douchenozzle.
    Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Fat woman in music?

Uh Oh! They must have let her out of the hosptal.

What? Oh there is this crazy woman who comes in here and pretends to be an employee.

Last time she attacked a customer who was rude to her... oh it turned out OK.

The doctors were able to sew them back on.

"First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

I get that all the time.

It does wonders for my self esteem to be referred to as "the little short, fat girl" by my customers.

They've been doing it for years.

I put up with it, because what else can I do?
      If I say anything to them, I get in trouble for being rude, but I certainly wouldn't be very popular if I referred to my customers by their looks.
      "Could you please do a carryout for that bald guy with the big nose?"
      "Yes, that lady wearing too much makeup with the over-bleached hair needs a price check on that item."
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I will never refer to someone based on insulting physical characteristics. I try to even avoid using words like "big" if I can. Hell, I'll describe someone's hair or outfit long before I'll describe them physically.

Some people just suck.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I used to manage a convenience store. I had this one employee who was overweight, but very comfortable in his own skin. He was the real easy-going, laid back type.

One day, he was running register, and I was in the office doing paperwork. I had the door open because I'd been running back and forth between the office and the floor. My employee was waiting on one of the local geezers who always came in to play lottery tickets and yack town gossip at whatever poor cashier was on duty.

All at once, I hear the old man ask him how much he weighed. I was concentrating on paperwork, so I didn't really pay much attention to the rest of the conversation. When the old geezer finally left, I walked out into the cashier's area and asked the clerk if I heard what I thought I heard.

The cashier just laughed. "Yes, but I figure he's old, he'll be dead soon enough anyway." We both started laughing.

"At least you have a good outlook on such things," I said as I laughed and returned to my paperwork.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth B&NGoddess View Post
            "the fat girl in music was not very friendly. she was rude."
            Yeah, let's talk about how rude someone was being while completely insulting them in the same sentence....because that makes you so much better.
            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

What a bitch. Am I right in assuming that she wasn't exactly Jessica Biel herself? People like that just make me flash back to middle school.
              "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

I was referred to as the "anorexic-looking girl" at my high-school job. I think I went home and cried about that one. I'm an adult now, have thicker skin and thirty more pounds. (For the record, I was never anorexic.)

These days, its being called any kind of "girl" that pisses me off. Would you refer to any other grown woman you know as a "girl" if she didn't work in retail? Its condescending and a little degrading.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  I was referred to as the "anorexic-looking girl" at my high-school job. I think I went home and cried about that one. I'm an adult now, have thicker skin and thirty more pounds. (For the record, I was never anorexic.)

These days, its being called any kind of "girl" that pisses me off. Would you refer to any other grown woman you know as a "girl" if she didn't work in retail? Its condescending and a little degrading.
                  Bingo! They are condescending and degrading because you work in retail! After all, how mature do you have to be to scan stuff on a register? [/sarcasm] (Mature enough to not get fired for giving asshats exactly what they deserve)

Personally, unless they look like they just passed puberty or younger, the youngest description I'll give is "young woman" or "young man". Unless they act like kids.
                  Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Oooo, I hate stuff like that. People used to come into the newspaper asking for me, often older ladies, who would describe me as 'that real attractive gal'. Like that narrows it down. We had a half-Nigerian female reporter at the time who was just gorgeous. Who would they be talking about? Her? Or Joanna in personnel, the one half the guys in the office were in love with? They could never remember my name or which department I was in. And anyway, I'm not so sure how I feel about the term 'gal', either.
                    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Damn!
                      When I had to point out a customer to a co-worker, it would sound like "Mr. White hat & blue shirt over there" or "Mrs. Stripey shirt".

Ya know, my 2 X 4 with the rusty nail is gonna get some exercise.

Cutenoo
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

How were you rude if you don't mind me asking? Cause you said no?

Comment

I am the ONLY person allowed to refer to myself as fat. Anyone else does it, they get the Stare of Pure Hatred (copyrights pending).

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                          I'm not so sure how I feel about the term 'gal', either.
                          I don't like it. Girl (if age appropriate), lady, woman, female...whatever...I don't mind but "gal" irritates me to no end.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If I need to describe someone quick I'll default to the clothes or the hair. Anything else might, and in this case, rightfully should be considered rude. Though it is rather amazing how she managed to get through that self defeating sentence without blinking.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            I don't like it. Girl (if age appropriate), lady, woman, female...whatever...I don't mind but "gal" irritates me to no end.
                            What about "Valkyrie"? ;p

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                              What about "Valkyrie"?
                              I'll have to think about it and get back to you.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X