This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ and protein
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I leave the husk on to grill the corn. Numm!

Comment

Have to leave the husk on to grill corn, otherwise it gets dried up and nasty before it's even partially cooked. It's part of the reason i love all the farmers markets around town.
        "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Now I wish we still had a grill My dad does (and loves grilling corn!) but he's in NM and my TARDIS ran away...
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Uh, it's a rare ear of corn that lacks a worm in the end. If a lot of it doesn't, I don't want it, because that tells me it's full of pesticide.
            I don't care for earworms myself.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              I don't care for earworms myself.
              This is the song that never ends...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                I sometimes peel the husk just a bit to check for any holes or punctures..
                I can't eat pierced ears. LOL!!!

(I kill me.)
                Good. Now I don't have to.

They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

OK, let's see how close I can come from memory, without having the actual book in front of me. Nero Wolfe is talking with Inspector Cramer:

"It must be nearly mature, but not quite, and it must be picked not more than three hours before it reaches me. Do you eat sweet corn?"

"Yes. You’re stalling."

"No. Who cooks it?"

"My wife. I haven’t got a Fritz." [Fritz Brenner is NW's cook]

"Does she cook it in water?"

"Sure. Is yours cooked in beer?"

"No. Millions of American women, and some men, commit that outrage every summer day. They are turning a superb treat into mere provender. Shucked and boiled in water, sweet corn is edible and nutritious; roasted in the husk in the hottest possible oven for forty minutes, shucked at the table, and buttered and salted, nothing else, it is ambrosia. No chef's ingenuity and imagination have ever created a finer dish. American women should themselves be boiled in water."
                  -- Rex Stout, Murder Is Corny (from anthology Trio For Blunt Instruments, 1964); quoted in The Nero Wolfe Cookbook. Also quoted in this thread on the Straight Dope message board, which has lots of opinions on the "right way" to cook corn on the cob.
                  Last edited by Shalom; 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM. Reason: found correct text online

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    I sometimes peel the husk just a bit to check for any holes or punctures..
                    I can't eat pierced ears. LOL!!!

(I kill me.)
                    Sheldon! Honestly! What are we going to do with you, boo!

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    Now I wish we still had a grill My dad does (and loves grilling corn!) but he's in NM and my TARDIS ran away...
                    And the whole valley is starting to smell like roasting chile. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    OK, let's see how close I can come from memory, without having the actual book in front of me. Nero Wolfe is talking with Inspector Cramer:
                    Aw, Maury Chaykin that played Nero Wolfe (with Tim Hutton as Archie Goodwin) died at the end of July!
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Sweet corn is the regional religion around here. Every farmer's market has it, the supermarkets get it (I only buy local stuff though) and there is a corn festival in a nearby town every summer. You don't wanna get between a dedicated corn buyer and the bin of corn at the store!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        And the whole valley is starting to smell like roasting chile. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
                        Oooh, I hate you right now (why can't we get good chile here?!) Maybe I can get my dad to buy a sack and keep it in reserve until I get out there...or he could ship it to me, but somehow I don't think mom would be too happy about that.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          Oooh, I hate you right now (why can't we get good chile here?!) Maybe I can get my dad to buy a sack and keep it in reserve until I get out there...or he could ship it to me, but somehow I don't think mom would be too happy about that.
                          Get him to do what everybody else does....freeze it! And there's several place in Hatch that you can order from. The Chile Festival in in two weeks, too.

Speaking of, I need to run up to Wagner Farms in Corrales and get some.

I just realized that I'm totally a chile snob.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            A lot of the corn I find in the supermarkets here you need to check before buying. Not for dirt (wash the cobs before you eat them) and not for bugs (that kind of damage usually shows on the husks), but because the corn is sometimes simply old and dried out. The corn isn't usually farm-fresh, and I've found old ears that were nearly desicated mixed in with a fresh batch.
                            The only time I've ended up with dried-up ears of corn was when my FIL selected them for me, and he just grabs them, doesn't check them at all. I've never needed to peel corn to check if it's dried out. Then again, I don't buy corn at the grocery store. I figure that anywhere that encourages people to husk their corn when they buy it is probably selling crappy corn anyhow, because no one would be able to tell the difference.

Quoth SuperRTL View Post
                            Have to leave the husk on to grill corn, otherwise it gets dried up and nasty before it's even partially cooked. It's part of the reason i love all the farmers markets around town.
                            We always took off the outermost layers, peeled back the inside ones and took off the silk. Then we carefully pushed the husk back and tied it up to grill it.

Comment

i grabbed a piece of corn. i looked at it for a second and put it in a bag. i think i might have squeezed it a little for some reason

the corn is okay.
                              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                                i grabbed a piece of corn. i looked at it for a second and put it in a bag. i think i might have squeezed it a little for some reason

the corn is okay.
                                It seems that with most produce squeezing it is how you tell if it's good or not.
                                Meh, my mum bought some really nice homegrown corn, it was tasty. Tasted just like the frozen sweet corn we always get.
                                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Working...
                                X