Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Computer Wizard

I believe the CPU holder has one job - to raise the machine off the floor far enough to reduce the dust in its air intakes. As a tradeoff, it makes it harder to service the machine, and (depending on design) can permanently block some of the air intakes.

I don't use them for my own machines at home. Several of them are so tall that you couldn't raise them off the floor without hitting the desk anyway.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Area Manager

evilhomer, you should've just mounted the CPU holders sideways under the top of the desk. I'm sure they would've fit that way, and it would've kept the computers well away from the floor. People probably wouldn't have been able to sit with their legs under the desk any more, but hey, you can't have everything...

Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
JAFP

Quote:
Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
evilhomer, you should've just mounted the CPU holders sideways under the top of the desk. I'm sure they would've fit that way, and it would've kept the computers well away from the floor. People probably wouldn't have been able to sit with their legs under the desk any more, but hey, you can't have everything...
That was actually a solution we offered. The desks were wide enough to accomodate this, it just would have been uncomfortable, inconvenient and just plain stupid. (but hey, when a solution ABSOLUTELY MUST be made immediately, you go into stupid territory). Of course this was just a horrible idea, so much so that WSIB (Workplace Safety & Insurance Board) would shut the whole building down if this were done (her words, not mine).

I don't understand the issues you guys are having with keyboard trays. I mean, I totally get that you don't like them but I can't understand your management's refusal to have them removed. I'm in places all the time taking them out because someone didn't want it. Ditto for any other obstructing pieces of furniture.

Put in a written complaint detailing why you want it removed then they're in deep doo-doo if something bad does happen as a result. Or at the very least, when they come to give you crap over the mangled chair-arm, point out how you tried to resolve the problem months ago.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth evilhomer View Post
I don't understand the issues you guys are having with keyboard trays. I mean, I totally get that you don't like them but I can't understand your management's refusal to have them removed. I'm in places all the time taking them out because someone didn't want it. Ditto for any other obstructing pieces of furniture.
One possible cause for this--someone in management has a bit too much power for their own good. Management thinks that their employees "need" these things, and tend to get annoyed when they get removed. Do I care about piddly things like that? Hell no. I tell management that the drawers are useless and have to go.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Quoth evilhomer View Post
I don't understand the issues you guys are having with keyboard trays. I mean, I totally get that you don't like them but I can't understand your management's refusal to have them removed.
Before the remodel, the desks came without them, but they'd install one if you wanted one. Most people didn't want them, but a few people did.

This time around, we're stuck with them whether we want them or not. I'm tempted to come in after hours some night with a screwdriver. I doubt anyone would notice, since you really can't see it when it's folded up and tucked away like I have mine.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right
Closed Thread