Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Area Manager

And now CS is running on the new server.

There are still some back end details to cleanup, but outages should disappear now.

Thank you for your patience.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Is not a mind reader

Peds,

Thank you for all your hard work on this. I'm sure I speak for all of the members here when I say how much we appreciate all you do for CS and the other forums.

Everything looks great!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 AM
TheCashierFormerlyKnownAs Lead

Thumbs up

Yes!

Huge thanks to Pedersen, and the Admins and Mods for this transition and upgrade, and for keeping us "in the loop" as it progressed!

Mike

Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Area Manager

I said it in chat, and I think I said it best there.

Quote:
Quoth CS Chat
[00:00:47] <pedersen> It's strange. Everybody else thinks I did great, kept people informed, etc. I think I did only so-so, rushed too much, and didn't inform enough.
I appreciate the compliments, I do. I just feel like I should done something better. Given exact times when the different forums would be down (I couldn't, because the new job and new sleep schedule kept me from knowing how late I could stay awake), for instance.

There are still a few rough edges that I know about. Only two of them should be visible to people, though: The main page for the site is has some issues with Firefox 3.5 ( http://www.customerssuck.com/ to see), and the card list manager is currently down (something I'll be fixing Monday or Tuesday).

For everybody out there: If you have an issue, either PM me or attach a post to the Bug Reports Forum. I'll resolve it ASAP.

And thank you again for the patience. Hopefully, we won't need to do this again for a very long time.

Side note: For those of you who might be wondering why we needed to move? The backup file for just the CS database (which doesn't include avatars, photos, etc) was 778M. For reference, if you were to print that out on paper, 66 lines per page, 80 characters per line, you would need 154,402 sheets of paper. Yeah, we're an active bunch

Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
TheCashierFormerlyKnownAs Lead

Quote:
Quoth Pedersen View Post
I appreciate the compliments, I do. I just feel like I should done something better. Given exact times when the different forums would be down (I couldn't, because the new job and new sleep schedule kept me from knowing how late I could stay awake), for instance.

Okay, suit yourself....

New job?!?

Who gives a rip?!? New job, Old job, B...umm anyway, what the heck do you think Raps pays you nothing but, most certainly, his undying gratitude and respect for? To go work some silly, paying job and put the maintenance and upgrading of the Boards on the back burner?!? Sheesh!!

And Sleep?!?

I thought you Techy/Geeky types thrived on lack of sleep, and guzzling gallons of Red Bull Especially when working on an important, challenging, project!!
/

Okay, how's that?

Mike

Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Humanoid

We do thrive on those things.
But we normally expect migrations to go well...as I said before, little 1s and 0s marching across to the new server.

Almost always when changing code/platforms/updates/hardware there's little itty bitty annoying things that happen. Rarely is it ever a crapalanche.

Pedersen, I bet you were expecting roses and only got daisies. You still did good..short bit of down time, (and this is not a money making site!) and getting it handled. All of us members are all over the globe, so there is really no way to take it down/off without hitting someone.

Same @ my job. Part of the company is West Coast, Conneticut, East Coast, London, Shanghai...
Any reboots I do can make hiccups. So I schedule them for the slow spots, pray and it works. Shoot, the worst that happened is that I had to make a ticket for DC to manually boot a server that didn't want to come back up.

See? Small burps. No crapalanche. You did great!!!!

If you ever do a migrate/code infusion job perfectly, let me know. I think fairies bring those to us.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Quoth Cutenoob View Post
See? Small burps. No crapalanche. You did great!!!!
Seconded!

Rapscallion

Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I need a life

Is it possible to make a skin for the new server that has black on white text like the old one? I took a quick look at the new server, and the text was black-on-black (Firefox 2.0.0.20 running under Win 98 SE), so I had to highlight things to see anything.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Just some guy

Are wea talking about the front pages of the site?

Rapscallion

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Remaining Calm

Quote:
I just feel like I should done something better.
I think that's the endless mantra of a geek. Lord knows I said this a LOT when I was setting up the work database and server.

You done good!
Closed Thread