Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has job training gone straight to hell??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has job training gone straight to hell??

Allow me to explain. I've spent my last few years in retail and at call centers.

Neither of these jobs require college degrees or other specialized professional training, but they do require considerable knowledge of products and services.

My first time around at a games store, I was asked a boilerplate question in the interview about my game knowledge, but not any specific questions that would test me. On the application, there were no questions either, just a game knowledge section where you wrote down the consoles and whatnot you were familiar with.

On my first night, I spent my entire shift reading the procedure manual back to back. This let me learn about the policies and procedures at the store, but nothing about actual game or product knowledge. We had reps from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony come by but they never did much beside give us the occasional product info sheet and some free swag.

When I was at the call center, we did three weeks classroom training followed by three weeks on the phones before I finally started my regular shifts. Now the length of that training may seem reasonable, but in reality we learned only the bare basics of what our jobs were about. I would estimate me it took 7 or 8 months of taking calls day in and day out before I considered myself well trained and highly competent at what I was doing. I did do a couple of supplementary training sessions, but these weren't particularly useful (though I did love them because they gave me a break from the phones!)

When I worked at a cell phone shop, I was given no direct education on the phones, though my manager gave me free reign to tinker with the display models and research the devices through the in-store internet connection.

Ironically, most of what I learned on all these jobs has been self taught, not learned in any training. With video games, the main reason I am so competent is that I've been playing games for over 20 years and I'm a huge fan, but I've worked with people who knew practically nothing about games and probably BSed their way through the application and interview.

At one point an area manager told us that it was or job to be educated on our products and services, then went on to mention we should spend some time at home researching games and products to become better salespeople. That didn't happen. Although no one said it to him directly, the basic feeling was "We're not working off the clock for you buddy," which is essentially what he was asking us to do.

I can't really think of a single job I've had in the past 5 years where the training was very good. Most of what I learned was either by asking co-workers, doing independent research or simple trial and error with the products and cash registers and such.

In my view job training is one of the most critical things a company does for their employees so I really don't understand why so many places have a "don't give a crap" attitude about it.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

My last job I had two weeks of training. A week of that was the history of the company, two days tinkering with a mock system and three days of listening in to calls and attempting some. I got one day of that due to previous experience.

But like you, every job I've worked in, I've self taught myself or had minimal training such as above.
    "The pepper spray was cruel but to hit them with Barry Manilow was just plain vicious,"

Comment

I got NO official training in my job. I was just spat out onto the field. I don't have a job description. In the schedule, I am categorized under a place that I never visit, but I find myself doing almost everything else everywhere else. The only thing I don't do in the store is cashier, aside from one other rather major area.

Had to learn by actively participating in it. I only just recently learned how to use a metal pipecutter. Awesome concept, if difficult to use.
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Yes.
        My job we need two hours of video watching in office, and about 4 hours with another staff member doing visits to be considered trained.

When I started I never watched the videos, and I spent 2 and a half hours with a coworker shadowing her. The next day I was out alone doing way more visits then I should have been. When I started to train new people I wasn't prepared for it, given little to no info on what I needed to do and since I never had the in office training I had no idea what they trainees had just learned or not learned. After a couple years I finally got to watch the videos and they are completely outdated and unless you have had previous experience some of it, most info goes right over your head. I actually fell asleep during one video....

Quite frankly I think trainees should be out at least two days with a manager and be quizzed. We get people with absolutely no animal care knowledge and not even given the bare minimum in training. If we did that and changed our hiring practices. (whole other rant) we'd be a kick ass company, with a lot less turn over. Right now I think it's dangerous sending out some of the people we have and it's asking for a lot more issues.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

The training at my first bookstore job was top-notch. I was actually given a few hours to read the handbook. On the register, I was paired up with a veteran until the manager felt I could hack it on my own.

The game store was the polar opposite. Training consisted of "here's the register, it has some issues but you'll have to figure them out on your own, by the way there's a tournament tonight but I'm not telling you the register codes you'll need. Have fun." (I know I've worked registers before, but you could at least give me the basics of the specific program)

I wound up doing stuff that wasn't in my job description and then getting yelled at when I didn't have enough time (I wasn't allowed to increase my hours to compensate) to do my actual job...he came out and made the suggestion that I should do a lot of the online sales work--basically anything that didn't involve shipping--from home. Of course not willing to pay me for overtime because "it's your job anyway".
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This was one of my major gripes with working at Macy's, at least regarding watch sizing. I had NO formal training in this at all, it was kind of a "observe and learn as you go" sort of thing.......and it didn't help that we didn't have the highest quality in tools for adding/removing watch links. (We did have a handbook for sizing watches, but it was the kind of thing where the way the book describes the process is NOT as simple as actually doing it)

Comment

Geez, I've had three call centre jobs...

The first one, I was given a stack of material two feet tall and told to get reading. I was put on the phones the next day. (HUGE federal ministry, majorly important calls coming through that dealt with national security and foreign policy - I knew NOTHING).

Second one, I was going to be working for a local utility company. We were given THREE MONTHS of intensive training, then three weeks buddy-system taking calls (we doubled up and had help on the floor). Then another month of three 2nd level techs devoted just to our small group of newbies. After five months on the job, we were finally trusted to take calls on our own. The "huge rush" we were hired for never abated, and our contract was extended for a second year. Then, even though the call levels never dropped, we were all laid off. Yeah, they're having fun trying to keep up now. (My cousin is a supervisor there... he says it's hell).

My third job, we were given three weeks of super-intensive training to pass our insurance sales license exams, then six weeks of semi-intense training to learn all about the company and how to do our jobs. They stuck us in "incubation" for three weeks (where we were on the floor taking calls with three coaches dedicated to us as well as our team leader). Then we were stuck on the floor taking calls without assistance.

So yeah, I'd say that the majority of call centre jobs I've had, there has been major training. For secretarial jobs? Training? Please. They expect you to come in already knowing everything you need to know (my present job excluded... they basically told me to get my feet wet, and to ask questions about anything I didn't know how to do, or anything I wasn't sure of their procedure for).
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I'd have to agree. I worked in grocery stores where the training has been nonexistent at best. In MI, it consisted of the head cashier talking at you for two hours on the first day and her standing right behind you in a lane for the last two days. The last two days were hard on me. I'm very intelligent and learn new concepts quickly. I didn't need to be babysat by a woman who should never have been in a position of authority in the first place. I also really dislike people standing right behind me because of my anxiety.

Training for other aspects of the job was a joke. When WIC transitioned from slips to cards, everyone who was register trained was supposed to go to a training session. The head cashier decided that was unnecessary for our store and that she would do it individually. I don't think she got around to everyone, including myself. I learned by watching others do it and reading the brochure. The slips were a pain in the ass and when the WIC system was up, the cards worked so much better.

At my new job, I got "trained" by two people. The first, an older woman was awesome. She asked how much cashier experience I had and went from there. She showed me how to use the POS system and let me go from there.

The other one, the hypochondriac uppity bitch, thought I didn't know what I was doing and had to walk me through everything. I wanted to slap her in the face by the end of the first day of working with her. What made it worse for me was that I have more retail experience than she does. She tried to lecture me on good customer service on Monday because I was pulling a double shift, closing on Sunday and opening on Monday and was understandably worn out. This was right before she turned customers away because she can't multitask due to her ADD. I wanted to tell her if you have ADD, then retail isn't the right work environment for you and thank god it's not a recognized as a disability in adults yet.

The other person who was hired at the same time is a friend of uppity bitch. She's truly stupid. Even though retail doesn't require much intelligence, you need to have some to deal with customers and management. Another co-worker and I have shared a good laugh over her stupidity.

Comment

Quoth anyanka2 View Post
                  I'm very intelligent and learn new concepts quickly. I didn't need to be babysat by a woman who should never have been in a position of authority in the first place.
                  ^^^^ This. It seems that to some people I'm incapable of working independently...I'm fine on my own, but I'm not psychic.

"Tell me once what I need to know" does not mean "babysit".
                  Asking additional questions if I need to clarify something does not mean "babysit". Yes, it may take a few extra seconds right out of the gate, but I can guarantee I will retain what you told me.

Standing over people waiting for them to screw up isn't a great training technique, especially if the person doing the standing doesn't know jack about managing (game store guy's reaction to honest mistakes--most of which could be tracked back to him--was to yell).
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It's been my experience that the jobs who have a high turnover rate to begin with are the one's who don't spend alot of time training new staff.

I suppose the companies figure that since the new employee isn't likely to stay with for very long, why bother investing all that time money and effort into them

Ironicaly, that attitude is probably a significant facture in why employees don't stick around very long

its a vicious circle

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
                      It's been my experience that the jobs who have a high turnover rate to begin with are the one's who don't spend alot of time training new staff.

I suppose the companies figure that since the new employee isn't likely to stay with for very long, why bother investing all that time money and effort into them

Ironically, that attitude is probably a significant factor in why employees don't stick around very long

its a vicious circle
                      You took the words right out of my mouth. 100% agreed.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'm thinking it depends heavily on the company. My first cashiering position, I spent a full week learning policy, company history, the finer points of front-of-house food service, as well as how to use the till system.

On the other hand, when I learned how to cashier a fast-food drive-through, I was told told that I would be taking orders that day and 'had better learn quickly'. I had not the slightest idea how to access all the submenus nor was I aware of the -long- list of quirks possessed by the drive-through register and yet I was expected to be able to maintain corporate's policy of ninety second drive-through times. (Interestingly, the same company trained me for two days on the grill and vats, an endlessly easier and less challenging position.)
                        <WARNING> THIS MINION IS COMPLETELY INSANE </WARNING>
                        This Minion brought to you by superhotelworker.

Comment

At the hotel I'm at, when I started it was 2 weeks of training on the system with whatever shift you'd be working (If you're a desk clerk.)
                          I spent 40 hours with the other auditor learning the system, the codes I'd need, how to do the rates..

When we got the new system, we were given cd's to learn. On top of doing your work on your shift (For mornings there's breakfast, and keeping on the maintence and house keepers so they didn't slack off, afternoons there's laundry to wash and fold.. and night shift chasing drunks, keeping the lot quiet and stocking for morning crew..) you were expected to finish at least 1 chapter a night. If you finished one with less than 60%, and didn't retake it, they could fire you.

Scary fricken concept. Now we have modules that will be added INTO our system that if we don't pass, we'll get fired. My mom / manager has been swearing at her screen for two hours. Not sure how that's gonna go for me taking them.

Comment

What is this "job training" of which you speak?

I've said many times that my training for lawn and garden consisted of the manager sitting me down at the computer, starting up the training program for lawn and garden, going to the quiz at the end, and putting in all the correct answers.

And that was it. At the time, the company was calling its lawn and garden people "consultants," so it was implied that not only would we know all the plants we carried and where they were located in the compound, but we'd also be able to give advice on what to plant where, what fertilizers to use for certain plants, how to take care of your plants once you've planted them, and so on.

Now, all that info comes in a big book nobody out there has time to read, or doesn't bother to read. I heard that recently the people working out in lawn and garden one night were passing the time by seeing how many states they could remember and write down on a piece of paper.

The training inside the store is no better unless you're a cashier. In that case, you'll spend a day or two with the front end monitor as she shows you all the functions of the register and walks you through everything. But otherwise training means having the newbie follow somebody around and try to learn their job through osmosis.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was partially trained, but it was little more than introductory instructions. I still didn't know what I was doing, found the way I'd been trained to work was declared invalid by management fiat, and therefore had no choice but to teach myself how to work my job, my way. Sometimes I absorb information from my coworkers, but usually, I had to learn things on my own once I realized asking coworkers questions all the time just upsets them.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X