I'm going to stop going in to work on Thursdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to stop going in to work on Thursdays

Reason 1: Thursdays are when I am routinely given five-hour shifts. I hate five-hour shifts ... you still only get one break, and it's still only 15 minutes long.

Reason 2: It always seems to be Thursdays when things go wrong.

And then ... there was today.

1) Thank goodness for dark-coloured uniforms, because I dumped tea on myself before I even got onto the floor.

2) I was scheduled for Register #4. The main belt on Register #4 hasn't worked properly for several days now. It has yet to be fixed.

3) I switched over to Register #6. We recently installed a new system whereby each cashier pushes a button, which causes a computer screen near the front of the customer lineup to let the next-in-line customer know which cashier is now free (the register number appears on the large monitor and the computer announces it verbally). So I push my button and ... nothing. Great. Luckily I was close enough to the front of the customer lineup that I could just wave people over.

4) I think I was hit by a quick-change scammer, and of course I got flustered and my till is possibly out some cash. It doesn't sound serious, as the supervisor who was counting my till gave up halfway through and plans to finish it tomorrow ....

5) After 4) occurred I was switched to yet another register ... #7 ... while the supervisor counted my till from register #6. The only thing that went "wrong" with that was that the supervisor had told me she'd let me know when I could get back to #6 ... and never did. A minor thing in itself, but added to the rest of the day ...

The company decided to put food out for us today. Fine, but where the hell was the BOOZE ...

On the somewhat bright side, a coworker figured out what was wrong in the case of 3). The damned thing had come unplugged (or at least loose enough that it wasn't making the required connection). That was quite nice of her, since I told two management types and neither one of them bothered to do anything.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have hard days but at least I don't have to deal with all that around people and with waiting customers' eyes boring into my skull. I mean, I can ignore emails and voicemails. I am with you on stuff that doesn't work. It's not so much hardware as it is software refusing to do what it's supposed to, but still.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I keep seeing these posts on FB about how people refuse to use self-checkouts because they cost jobs ... and they are rather sourly funny. My store just got in eight brand-spanking-new self-checkout machines. The staffed ones? As with the best on #4, they malfunction frequently. Repairs are Band-Aid affairs and are done ... eventually. And I'm willing to bet there are no plans in the offing to put in new registers for the staff to use.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

'This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays' - Arthur Dent.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Dammit, DWM. I came here to say that slightly-altered one. ^_^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X