Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GPS took me to the wrong place, credit me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Granted, the prompt's female voice gets annoying sometimes when I deliberately deviate to get gas or food. It's that insistent, "Make a U-turn. Make a U-turn," that is why I call her 'Navi.'
    Look! Listen!
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Look! Listen!
      FUCK YOU, NAVI!
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

LOL,

I so remember that game

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          I use a Google Maps app whenever I need to get somewhere and the directions aren't burned in my memory. Fortunately, it actually has a voice prompt to let me know when I need to be making a turn.

You know, "In a half-mile, turn right onto Rte. 503 Nonesuch Street," or whatever.

Granted, the prompt's female voice gets annoying sometimes when I deliberately deviate to get gas or food. It's that , "Make a U-turn. Make a U-turn," that is why I call her 'Navi.'
          It's that female voice that gets naggy after awhile . . . too bad I can't change it like my sister did for her Garmin.

Of course she'll be driving along and at random you'll hear Cartman "Turn left into Kyle's mom's vagina!"

Too bad I wasn't in the car the time she was driving her mom somewhere - that would have been PRICELESS (my stepmom is such a prude, bless her heart.)
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I want a GPS that sounds like Darth Vader.

I am altering the route. Pray I don't alter it any further."
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I probably would've shut him down the minute he said Google Maps.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                I really should have, but Google's customer support is rather infamously bad so if I can avoid sending the customer to them, so much the better.

That might not make a lot of sense but if we send the customer to Google and Google dicks them over and then they get a survey from our company, they'll rate us poorly because of what Google did.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  I want a GPS that sounds like Darth Vader.

I am altering the route. Pray I don't alter it any further."
                  I'd love that for mine, too, but it wouldn't be a good idea. I'd end up driving in circles just to hear James Earl Jones' wonderful, wonderful voice for a bit longer.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Having just moved house, I had fun fielding the call from the removals men who said they couldn't find my new address in their GPS unit. So I prepared to give them directions through an unfamiliar town, starting with a major local landmark that they couldn't miss if they tried to.

Did I mention that they called at about the time I was expecting them to arrive? I therefore made the reasonable assumption that they were already somewhere *in* the town. Nope, they were still about 120km away, having just finished loading from the warehouse.

It turned out, eventually, that the salesman had misheard me over the phone and spelled the name of the street wrong, with an extra vowel. When I began to give directions, they extrapolated along the route on their map and found the correct street before I'd even finished.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      I still give directions to "turn by the random landmark that used to be there". Maybe I need to update.
                      Oh, I dunno. I've successfully gotten somewhere by following directions along those lines. They told me to turn right where the gas station used to be. I even took a pic because I figured nobody would believe me if I didn't ...
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get the feeling this guy berates his personal assistant constantly and this is the kind of thing she does to get him back.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                          I'd probably shut him down as soon as he uttered that "paygrade" remark.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                            I'd probably shut him down as soon as he uttered that "paygrade" remark.
                            Slightly off-topic, but...who else winces when they hear the line "This is above your pay grade" in movies? I hear that EVERYWHERE now, and it's starting to piss me off.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              It's that female voice that gets naggy after awhile . . . too bad I can't change it like my sister did for her Garmin.
                              Of course she'll be driving along and at random you'll hear Cartman "Turn left into Kyle's mom's vagina!"
                              Mine is Homer Simpson. (I have a TomTom)

There's one prompt that I can't remember what it starts with, but it ends with "It's easy, just grab the wheel and yank!"
                              When you finish your journey it says "Woohoo! You have reached your destination....and you can hold your head up high because you are a genius!"

I don't use Homer much nowdays unless it's a first-time trip somewhere. Alternately, here's my process.

Do a directional search on Google Maps.
                              Find the end point (if I'm taking public transport, specificailyl the bus endpoint)
                              Bring up streetview and look for the landmarks nearby so I know where to go.

This caused one minor fail when I caught the bus out to a particular school. I got off at what I THOUGHT was the junior school, but it turned out to be the boarding house
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                My directions sound more like this: "Go down this street until you pass the Wegmans, turn right at the next light and keep going up that street until the Noco station..."
                                I navigate the same way; not directions so much as landmarks (I've noted that some GPSes will ignore the fact that a lot of side streets downtown are one-way, usually not the direction you're trying to go). That can get fun when I'm asked by tourists for directions; the ones in a fancy SUV expect me to give directions in GPS-speak and cannot figure out anything else.
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X