Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, does your store ask people o sign for their cashback at all?

In ours, the customer has to inital or sign the till receipt that the store keeps as we count out the cashback to them. This proves that they've had it and that it's been checked, so they can't try anything on with us.

Comment

I always tell the customer to come back the next day after we balance. I have only had one person come back (out of way too many to count). and I have never had a till over when a customer complained.
      "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
      "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

Comment

I consider these "Gift Cards" to be a win-lose situation.

The idiot can steal from us and get credit back. Only he's gotta come back and buy stuff from us. At our expense.

Comment

Has anyone here even actually accidentally short changed a customer or been short changed by a cashier?

I don't believe I ever did when I worked at a supermarket. I once gave too much change when I was super tired and new. But that was once in over 5 years!

I've never been short changed by a cashier either. A few times they have given me too much thinking I paid with 2 20s instead of a 20 and a 5 or something, but never the reverse.
          Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Quoth Special Patrol Group View Post
            Has anyone here even actually accidentally short changed a customer or been short changed by a cashier?
            I have, once or twice, been short changed by a cashier. I know it was an accident both times. I did not scream about it either time. I just said something to the effect of, "I believe I just gave you a $20, and you gave me back change for a $10" or, in a memorable interaction, I gave a $50 while buying groceries, and got change back for a $20.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth journochick View Post
              In the convenience store I work at, people try tricks like this all the time.

Usually, after handing me a £10 note, they'll go, 'But I gave you a 20!'

Now I know for a FACT that they didn't give me 20. Because I check.
              I hate hate HATE people who do this.

Most of the stores I've seen solve this problem by laying the bill on the TOP of, not IN, the cash drawer, until the change has been counted out and checked by the customer. That way, if they try to claim they gave you something different, the bill is right there in front of you.
              What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

I was shortchanged by a cashier one time. And I am absolutely positive of it because I had absolutely no money on me, got a single 20 from the ATM, and then used it to pay for something at a newsstand. I was given change back from a 5 and the guy refused to even consider I could have given him a 20.

Nothing to be done, but I have never gone back.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  I have, once or twice, been short changed by a cashier. I know it was an accident both times. I did not scream about it either time. I just said something to the effect of, "I believe I just gave you a $20, and you gave me back change for a $10" or, in a memorable interaction, I gave a $50 while buying groceries, and got change back for a $20.
                  It seems to be a lot easier in the US to get mix ups like that 'cos all the money is the same size and colour. Here a $20 is green and a $50 purple and bigger (I didn't pick the colours).
                  "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
                  "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

Comment

Quoth journochick View Post
                    By the way, does your store ask people o sign for their cashback at all?

In ours, the customer has to inital or sign the till receipt that the store keeps as we count out the cashback to them. This proves that they've had it and that it's been checked, so they can't try anything on with us.
                    No but that would be a wonderful idea! I bet a lot of people would get offended by it though.

Comment

And this is why the little Mom and Pop stores rule. We make the decisions, we don't have some corporate commitee making decisions without any experience, we don't require employees to pay the difference when there's a screw up and we don't take crap from idiot customers.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth uknz76 View Post
                        It seems to be a lot easier in the US to get mix ups like that 'cos all the money is the same size and colour. Here a $20 is green and a $50 purple and bigger (I didn't pick the colours).
                        Yeah, our money is the same color, but there are distinct differences on the bills that people should recognize right away. That, and of course, paying attention to what you're giving out/getting. When I was a cashier, I always made sure to look at the bill. There really isn't an excuse.

Customers at my store do this all the time. One guy came in last week and did the whole "gave you a twenty, but got change for a ten" thing. He didn't even have a receipt or anything, so I couldn't find out which cashier rang him up and he didn't know who rang him up either. I went to the manager who told me to just GIVE the man money. Luckily at that time, the cashier who did ring him up came back from her break and she recognized the man and said he argued with her over the price of the bird seed he bought. I counted her till and it was fine. The manager got the guy to leave, after the guy called me dumb for counting her till and getting a manager. Even still, if she hadn't come back then, he would have just walked out with money because my manager is a lazy jerk.

Comment

Quoth uknz76 View Post
                          Hey hey hey now the 50 is green, red white and blue and the 20 is blue green and orange... well the new ones... there are still 2003 and less out there...

Comment

Quoth Special Patrol Group View Post
                            I've bene shortchanged by Vending Machines so much that I should file a lawsuit to get Free Soda for an entire year.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                            Hey hey hey now the 50 is green, red white and blue and the 20 is blue green and orange... well the new ones... there are still 2003 and less out there...
                            Not to mention that most US Currency from 1861 on are still legal tender. And coins from 1793 onward.

I had one co-worker that was a casual coin collector, and he would be constantly asking the manager for notes and coins he found interesting. He managed to find some stuff that we wouldn't notice right away. His most weirdest trait was he could tell what coins were "clad" and what coins were "silver" simply by the ring or taking his hand and cupping the coins and letting them drop back in. Even weirder was that he could locate Wheat cents merely by looking at the pennies color.

He actually showed me one coin and a note he got from a previous job he had. In one case, someone had paid with a 1914-D Lincoln cent. Brilliant Orange color. Easily a 3-figure price. The Note was a 1929 $20 National Currency banknote. He said it was a "Feddie" issue, and was maybe worth twice face value.
                            Last edited by Hon'ya-chan; 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM. Reason: No reason.

Comment

Quoth mischugenah View Post
                              Most of the stores I've seen solve this problem by laying the bill on the TOP of, not IN, the cash drawer, until the change has been counted out and checked by the customer. That way, if they try to claim they gave you something different, the bill is right there in front of you.
                              That's the way I was trained to do it. It saves a lot of headaches when you have the bills paid out of the drawer until the change has been paid out.

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                              His most weirdest trait was he could tell what coins were "clad" and what coins were "silver" simply by the ring or taking his hand and cupping the coins and letting them drop back in.
                              That's not odd at all. Silver coins have a distinctly pleasant chime, especially compared to clad coins. I have a small collection of silver dimes and quarters, and I like bouncing the quarters because of the way they ring. Clad coins just sound "dull."

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm sorry you had to deal with that dishonest hag. Thankfully, I'm a firm believer in karma.
                                "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Working...
                                X