This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you eat before work?

Wondering what y'all have to eat or drink before you go to work. Basically how do you prepare for work?

I live about twelve minutes away by car, but I always leave fifteen to twenty minutes early in case of traffic. Work begins at 7:30 but I get there early to do a few maintenance things so I don't have to do them while tending to customers. So I leave at 7:10 AM.

That means I wake up at 5:30 AM. I hit the snooze button a few times so I'm adequately awakened by the time it's 6:10 AM. I'm dressed and downstairs at 6:15 AM.

Breakfast usually consists of a cup and a half of coffee, nuts, and a pasta. Maybe a bakery good or something, like a danish or a donut.

I use two spoons of sugar in my coffee, and then a few scoops of ice cream. I probably don't need the sugar at all, in hindsight. The ice cream acts as the:
    • Sugar
    • Lightener / Cream
    • Flavor
    • Cools it down a little so I don't burn my tongue
    Eat peanuts or other nuts while drinking the coffee to wash them down. Peanuts last a while in your digestive system, so it's almost like a continual stream of nourishment throughout the day. The pasta is carbs. A great energy source.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

When I used to have a half hour comute, I would stop each morning for a soda and one of those Grandma brand cookies. I changed jobs and my commute was only 10 minutes, to the downtown of my city, I parked, walked my 10 blocks to my building then headed to the coffee place in the next building over, if I wanted something sweet. If I didn't have extra money, I just drank coffee in the break room.

I am surprised I made it through my 20s!

Comment

I usually have a bowl of cream of wheat for breakfast with some sugar & cinnamon. Put some water in it & pop it in the microwave for about a minute & a half. Let me tell you, it's good for breakfast but it doesn't fill you up that long cause about 2 hours later I'm in need of a good pick-me-up. That's when I go to the cafe on my break & get a bottle of water & either a hot soft pretzel or a snickers bar. That holds me till lunch where most of the time I have a "naked" salad with broken pretzels on the side & a glass of water. What's a naked salad? It's lettuce, carrots & olives with very little salt if any. Doesn't have no oil, no vinegar or anything else added to it. Not even salad dressing! A lot of people find that strange but it works for me. I'm a very picky eater...lol.

Comment

Depends on what job I'm doing.

Truck days--one of those Aunt Jemima frozen meals you nuke in the microwave (I always get the scrambled eggs with sausage or bacon). To this I add a piece of fruit (apple, banana) and a piece of toast with Nutella. Fast, and filling because my first break comes at least three hours into my shift and I don't want to be too hungry before then.

Other days--cereal with milk, toast, fruit. I can take my breaks earlier and eat something at work earlier.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I give myself 20 minutes to get to work, too. And I give myself 45 to 50 minutes to get ready.

I always have 2 scrambled eggs and a glass of pomegranate juice.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Mmm, HFP... that sounds like a tasty breakfast! Pomegranate juice FTW~

If it's cold outside I'll have oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar and whatever fruit thing is seasonal. If it's hot then I have cold cereal with rice milk and berries. I like to eat some almonds because it seems to really boost my energy for the day. That's about the only healthy part of my day unfortunately... Also, I have LOTS OF COFFEE! One or two cups if possible
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
              Mmm, HFP... that sounds like a tasty breakfast! Pomegranate juice FTW~
              It was. My store stopped stocking the brand I used to get, and now the only P. juice they stock costs twice as much, and is either way too strong and bitter, or diluted to practically water. T_T
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I work from home, so it's a bit different for me.

The only thing I make sure I have finished before I log in to the phone is my pot of coffee, and then I drink it usually by 1pm. (No lectures, please. I know this is horrible for my health )

I usually grab a banana or a bagel within the 1st hour of my shift. Sometimes if it's busy though, I completely forget to eat, then by the time lunch hits, I'm starving.

TERRIBLE for me, I know.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Breakfast, that depends on ifn i'm on the road or not. Living out of a hotel room, your options are rather limited, so i carry an electric kettle and instant oatmeal (i also make canned foods in it). When i'm home, i simply get up early enough to have my standard breakfast, three eggs scrambled with cheese, three slices of sausage (cheap Farmland stuff, should i be scared that store brand costs more?), a cup of yogurt, and a small pot of coffee (one of those so called four cup pots, more like two mugs) black with a three quarters of a tablespoon of sugar.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I work night shift, so I'm probably an odd ball.

On nights that I don't have to go in early for overtime, I eat as much as I possibly can so I don't get the grumblies too early before "lunch" break. I usually eat a plate full of chicken nuggets, a pizza hotpocket and mozzie sticks.

On nights I do have to go in early, I usually just quick heat up a plate of pizza rolls and a couple nuggets to tide me over, and I make it a point to get work at least 20 minutes early so I can either get a big sandwich or wrap out of the vending machines.

Unfortunately, when I work 10 or 12 hour shifts, I get super hungry every damn break, and end up getting a granola bar or chips every break.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My shift start times vary from early morning to early afternoon. It switches every couple weeks. Usually my pre-shift routine consists of taking the dogs out for their walk if its my turn, showering, making a quick sandwich to eat and then making my for work lunch if I haven't cut it too close. I like to sleep in as long as possible. In extreme cases (ie - hangover) I have made it out the door with only 1/2hr to do the above. Usually I wake up 45min - 1hr before I leave for work.

On the way to work, its about 1/2hr walk. If didnt have time to make food at home, I may grab a quick cheeseburger along the way. I'll listen to my ipod, wonder if theres any bad csats waiting for me, and Timmys is pretty much a mandatory stop for coffee, except if there is a ginormous lineup thats gonna make me late.

Comment

Depends on what I'm doing that day, and how long my shift will be. And what time I'm coming in.

Even though it's probably better to eat before working a giant truck, when I have to be there at 5, I'm probably not going to eat anything til I get a break about 8 or 9, because I don't like eating that early.
                        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

I like to keep a box of cereal at work, and just munch on dry handfuls throughout my shift. Shreddies and Cheerios are good for this. Cornflakes and rice crispys not so much
                          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I never eat before going to work. My stomach is always sick from the thought of having to go in, so food is the last thing on my mind. As a result, I often get lightheaded while working. I always take my lunch late in my shift and by then I'm fairly hungry but all I ever have is a granola bar and some milk.
                            Retail Haiku:
                            Depression sets in.
                            The hellhole is calling me ~
                            I don't want to go.

Comment

No matter what time I have to work (could be 6:00 am, 8:00 am, or 2:30 pm--schedule's all over the place) I never seem to have enough time to eat before. I always have at least 1 mocha latte, every single day, working or not. More often than not it's my breakfast. No wonder I'm cranky when I go in!
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X