This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well. That's over.

Just had my last class at college. Official graduation is in May, but...yeah.

Less jubulant than I expected, more terrified. Now I have to actually go out and get a job, and, y'know, an apartment. And all that grownup stuff. Help?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

I think the most stressful thing about finding an apartment was not having a clue about the utilities. I'd rented rooms with utilities included, so I really didn't know how much to expect to pay. Asking around helps, and you can actually call the utility companies with a specific address of an apartment you're considering and ask for a cost history. Or if the apt manager lives on-site, he/she can give you some idea. I had a ton of kitchen stuff given to me, and I have found items and thrift shop items for furniture, as well as some stuff given to me. Whenever I move, I make sure the kitchen is set up right away the first day, which makes me feel settled. If I can cook for myself, I feel a bit more secure. I always, always get an upper because I live alone, and feel ok leaving the windows open in summer. Yeah, schlepping groceries upstairs sucks, but I don't have to listen to the upstairs neighbors' noise and their heat rises to me in winter.
    Also, if you live in the cold, heat included sounds good, but costs more for rent. It's better to opt for paying for heat and see if you qualify for some kind of heat assistance. Then you pay less rent and less utilities. Here it's based on income, and last year I got over $150, and the year before almost $300.
    If you can get a gas stove rather than electric, it's cheaper to run and easier to cook on. Those are rare here, common in california. It just depends.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Millions of people do this Arctic, many of them no doubt far less capable than you. Both job and apartment hunting are, indeed, tough, but you'll get through them both. My only vague advice, fitting in with what FL said, is stay REALLY on top of you finances. It's a heck of lot easier to scrimp and save before you get in trouble.

Anything planned for the graduation?

Comment

Thanks guys. Worrying is something my brain does, a lot. I was planning to take today off, but we'll see if my brain lets me, given that I woke up an hour earlier than usual despite short sleep last night.

Quoth sms001 View Post
        Anything planned for the graduation?
        Two different events. Most of my family over memorial day weekend, my mom and sister are coming in mid june.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I'm graduating high school June 8th. So I'm a little nervous myself. But congrats to you! Best of luck to us both!
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Working...
          X