This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ID horror story

Believe me, I should have handled it differently but if you keep asking the customer the same question over and over again and they don't listen, boy!

Okay, I was at drive up and this girl drives up wanting less cash from her deposit. So she gives me her debit card and nothing else. I didn't know who she was, so i asked her for her drivers license. She tells me that she has an account with the bank. I ask again if she has her ID, she says the same thing. I finally tell her that I need her Id cause she is getting cash back. She then says, "no need to be rude about it!" So she gives up and says, give me back my check so she leaves and never came back Here I am thinking, what the hell does it take just to say, "i don't have my id with me, i will be right back?" But I think she is scamming me and the customer she is "impersonating!"

Only a person who gets that upset is clearly hiding something. However, I could have told her that she can come inside and use the terminal, but, judging from the fact that she wouldn't give up her ID, would she ACTUALLY put in her pin number?

I am not upset cause I prevented a potential fraud so its no skin off my back!

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
    but if you keep asking the customer the same question over and over again and they don't listen, boy!
    Yeah that's kind of a given for every situation unless the question you ask is something they want

Comment

Speaking of hiding something...

We had some chick who came up to the drive up with two postal money orders for $850 each. She didn't have an ID and she didn't have an account with our bank. Now, at our bank, we won't just cash a money order for non-customers, and especially two money orders for $850 a piece. I told her that we couldn't cash them and I told her of a few places that would. She gets all snippy and drives off. My guess was actually that the money orders were fake, especially since they looked a bit off.
      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

You can't trust non customers. And I mean that seriously. They don't have to worry about picking up the pieces when the check happens to COME BACK. Tellers have to put up with being responsible for losing money. Especially with government checks.

Comment

The only thing we cash for non-customers is a payroll check from a legitimate local business or a legitimate local law office (regardless of the bank the check is drawn off of). The businesses that we cash payroll checks for are all on a list in the office. If the business isn't trustworthy and isn't on the list, th check doesn't get cashed, simple as that.

Money orders, on the other hand, are a whole different story. There is a whole mess of money order fraud these days so we won't cash a money order for a non customer, and we'll only cash a money order for a customer if they have enough money in their account to cover it. We also tell customers that we can deposit money orders into their account and put a hold on the funds until the money order clears, that way a customer doesn't run the risk of overdrawing due to a bad money order.
          Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

There's a whole lot of cashier check fraud going on right now, too. Nothing is safe from being counterfeited.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Which is why there shouldn't be anymore checks. Everyone should get direct deposit or make it a requirement to stop idiots from making crappy checks just to get our bank in deep shit. It would be wonderful if there was a company that would REQUIRE everybody to get direct deposit, no matter how much you don't like it. The same customers will bitch about they don't want direct deposit but they will bitch about how we are putting holds on not-on-us payroll checks. (not including companies that don't have direct deposit).

Comment

Which is why there shouldn't be anymore checks. Everyone should get direct deposit or make it a requirement to stop idiots from making crappy checks just to get our bank in deep shit. It would be wonderful if there was a company that would REQUIRE everybody to get direct deposit, no matter how much you don't like it. The same customers will bitch about they don't want direct deposit but they will bitch about how we are putting holds on not-on-us payroll checks. (not including companies that don't have direct deposit).
                Why not? Seriously, if you think all the workers should have direct deposit, then why shouldn't all the companies be required to offer it?

Personally, I think if people want to be weird and waste their own time and resources, that's up to them. We have people at my work who have bank accounts and don't do direct deposit, and I literally laugh at them when they waste their lunch break every Wednesday to go deposit their checks.

But that doesn't even approach how I mock the ones that don't take part in the 401k. Our place matches 100% of what the employee puts in up to 5% of their total paycheck. It's free money and there are people who don't take advantage of it!

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It would be wonderful if there was a company that would REQUIRE everybody to get direct deposit, no matter how much you don't like it.
                  I work for a financial institution myself in the loan and mortgage department and all of our employees are required to have DD. Of course it is wonderful getting your deposit in the same place you work

Comment

Direct Deposit fees

I would love to have direct deposit! My empoloyer used to offer this service, then he decided to save the $4 fee, per check, and cancelled all direct deposits. He said, if the bank would not charge, he'd go back to DD. Wonder what the chances of that happening are? BTW, the bank is Wells Fargo.

Comment

Forcing direct deposit would not only screw over people who don't have good enough credit to get an account, but also banks that may start being required to take high risk accounts.

Comment

Quoth Dorath View Post
                        Forcing direct deposit would not only screw over people who don't have good enough credit to get an account, but also banks that may start being required to take high risk accounts.
                        Credit doesn't have anything to do with checking accounts. What we (banks) look for though is past behavior on accounts elsewhere. There is a system that scans their information to see if they have had any accounts closed at other institutions while in a negative balance, and if they ever paid that balance back.

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                          Credit doesn't have anything to do with checking accounts. What we (banks) look for though is past behavior on accounts elsewhere. There is a system that scans their information to see if they have had any accounts closed at other institutions while in a negative balance, and if they ever paid that balance back.
                          While this is partly true for my bank (we use Chexsystems), we also pull credit. It's primarily for CIP (Customer Identification Policy for the non-bankers out there, it's a legal thing) puposes, but if credit is bad enough we will deny them an account. Chexsystems doesn't show if people have charged off loans and such. This is equally important past behavior info.

I work for a family-owned local bank though, so we're a bit more conservative than national banks.
                          "Any free samples?"
                          "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Forcing direct deposit would not only screw over people who don't have good enough credit to get an account
                            All the more reason to have direct deposit. People who don't have good enough credit are more likely to screw over a bank so too bad for them. I am sick of checks, assholes who screw the bank just for the sake of the buck and customers who screw ME over almost getting me fired.

Comment

Actually, my first job eventually did require people to get direct deposit. The employees apparently complained enough that finally the company ate the cost of getting it set up nationwide, and said "Everyone must do this by the end of two months, or your pay will be held until such time as it is set up." And they did it too.

And my second job gave you the DD forms right along with everything else. We did get a paper cheque once when something went wrong at accounting, but that was it. Also, this job we weren't given an option either. The people who didn't get it set up on the first day were repeatedly asked for their information, and no one didn't have it done by the end of the first week.

From what I understand, there are banks that offer minimal banking services that basically operate only as a money holder. They don't offer any services other than a place for DD and withdrawing cash, so people who can't get even a basic chequing account still have options.
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X