Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations! I know squat about pregnancy so I'll just say I hope you're happy and everything goes perfectly.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
      Congratulations! Okay, first up - ask a pharmacist which supplements/medications are pregnancy-safe and it's best to avoid herbs and excess caffeine while pregnant. It's pretty important to take B group vitamins during pregnancy, especially folate.
      It's not just pregnant women who need to be sure they're getting enough folic acid - it's ALL sexually-active women between puberty and menopause. Folic acid deficiency is nasty for a couple reasons:

1. Everything that can cause birth defects has a "window" where the stage of fetal development taking place is most vulnerable to its influence. For folic acid deficiency, that "window" is before the first missed period - i.e. before a woman even knows she's pregnant. If someone's deficient, and starts taking a supplement as soon as she misses her period, the damage has already been done.

2. Due to the small number of cells involved at such an early stage, most harmful conditions are "all or nothing" (either no effect, or enough damage to cause a spontaneous abortion, so no birth defect either way). Of conditions with a "window" before the first missed period, folic acid deficiency is pretty much the only one that will cause birth defects.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes, see if you can go with a CNM team, they are wonderful. I had brilliant antenatal and postnatal care, as well as the deliveries, from some lovely ladies with both of my girls. Things are slightly different over here, which is why I mentioned the doctor. My GP (general practitioner/primary care physician) confirmed the pregnancies, sent me off for blood tests and an ultrasound and then referred me to a CNM team at my local hospital.

As for folate, I personally take it all year 'round because I am well aware of the risks - neural tube defects run in my family.

Hope you feel better soon, and that you have a very boring pregnancy!
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Conga rats!!!!

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
            Conga rats!!!!
            *does the Conga rats dance* What Sunshine said
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

*dances beside Mytical* Congratulations!

(And yes, ginger is your friend.....)
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Black Tea and local honey mixed in, soothes the throat (for the coughing and drainage), A losange from a brand called Thieves, my friend highly recommends them, the taste is a little strong in my opinion but it really packs a punch. Its all natural essiental oils, I'll swear by them, since they took my deep hacking cough from sinus drainage, and killed it for 16 hours.
                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and congrats.

Bit of an update: Had first doctor's appointment finally and am put at 10 weeks with a due date around August 16.

Morning sickness is still a thing though Although the ginger root helps. As does Tums. And biscuits. Mmmm biscuits.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You can count me as one of those people who whole-heartedly support CNMs. I was delivered by one, and my mom IS one. (If possible, I intend to deliver my future kids at the birth center where I was born.)

DON'T HESITATE to call your doctor/CNM/whatever about any questions or worries you have. That's their job, and they're used to it.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Get lots of crackers, anything with ginger and peppermints for the nausea. Not mint gum, there's a chemical that's not safe for babies.

How far along are you now? I'm 22.5 weeks.

Definitely take a prenatal vitamin along with a calcium supplement and fiber as you will get backed up if you're not careful. All can be taken in a gummy form (vitafusion ftw!) if you can't handle the pills yet.

If you're insurance allows it, get a check up from the dentist.

edit: oh ok, now I saw how far along you are. Cool in ten more weeks, you can find out the gender and that's when you'll start feeling stuff move around maybe. The best I can describe it as is when you hold a tadpole in your hands enclosed and you feel it wiggling around inside.
                      Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Doctor puts us at 10 weeks, 3 days...which is making us go wut because that puts me right before my last period and in the middle of a dry spell

Doc gave me a prescription prenatal vitamin and told me to also pick up Expecta Lipil for the DHA.

Working on insurance right now; applying for the state medical card and waiting to hear back from them, and something went wrong with my work insurance (which has my dental) so hopefully that gets reinstated soon.
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                          Doctor puts us at 10 weeks, 3 days...which is making us go wut because that puts me right before my last period and in the middle of a dry spell
                          Doctors tend to calculate a bundle of due dates based on last menstrual period and other things, so the gestation date might be a little off.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Another update: It's a boy!

Which cracked my dad up something fierce (I'm the only girl in my extended family).

I'm still on light duty because of the abruption, but it's healing and hasn't bothered the baby, so that's good.

And apparently, he's as stubborn as the rest of my family >.< I nearly had to reschedule this past appointment because he didn't want to wake up and uncurl for the doctor to look him over.
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                              Bit of an update: Had first doctor's appointment finally and am put at 10 weeks with a due date around August 16.
                              So he'll be born on my birthdate?

(as far as we were aware, I was on time, my sister was overdue)
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Possibly

But considering that nobody on my side of the family was born even close to their due dates (myself and two of my brothers were two weeks late, the last was two weeks early, my mom and dad were both premies...), I'm not holding my breath.

Actually, my mom's hoping I'm early because that's right when school starts
                                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                                X