• Show
Clear All

• "How Long Does It Take You?!"

SC: I'd like to order a popup ad design, medium sized
    Seraph: Alright, those are about $35 base cost
    SC: No, give me your best price.
    Seraph: ....That is my best price.
    SC: Too high for my tastes =/ I can get someone cheaper and better
    Seraph: Alright, sorry I couldn't help you... and honestly? You're going to see that at this level of quality, I'm the cheapest you'll find. I'm not being immodest, I'm being serious.
    SC: i can find cheaper.

<five minutes later>

SC: So how much for the pop up ad again?
    Seraph: Same as I told earlier, $35
    SC: Your BEST price for a pop up ad.
    Seraph: I'm not going to change the price on it, it's low enough already.
    SC: Look
    SC: How long does it take you to make this
    Seraph: Excuse me?
    SC: How long does it take you?
    Seraph: Not that it matters, but about an hour, depends on the complexity and detail though.
    SC: So you want $35 for an hour of work? WTF
    SC: I'll give you $10 for it, thats about fair
    Seraph: I am going to be upfront, your offer is insulting, and I'm not inclined to be involved in this discussion any longer. Typically designers at the level I am charge $70/hr, MINIMUM. I'm extremely low priced, and your insulting demeanor is just...I'm not putting up with it any more.
    Seraph: The price is the price, I'm not lowering it, if anything, I'm inclined to raise it due to your rudeness. If you're not interested, just say no thank you, and that's it. Don't waste my time by insulting me and the quality of work I produce.
    SC: Fine, its still too high, I'll contact you later if I decide to go with you.

...Seriously, let me try going into a restaurant, insult the chef in the back, and demand he give me my food for cheaper because it "doesn't take that long". Betcha that'd go over REAL well.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

"I WANT YOU TO WORK FOR BARELY ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE!"

Yeah. No. That's not how it works.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I am seriously surprised he didnt pull the whole "but with the economy the way it is...". Some people have no idea about what it actually costs for things, or they are just cheap bastards. I am more inclined to believe the latter.

Next time feed him this line:
      What line of work are you in sir? A plumber? How much do you charge to fix a sink? $50? That is too much, how about I give you $10 and we call it square?
      "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

$35/hours? You are cheap value priced.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          *snip*
          SC: Fine, its still too high, I'll contact you later if I decide to go with you.

*snip*
          "I've got a better idea, sir, don't bother me again, and I won't bother you."

I mean, really?? He's just finished being rude not once but twice, and now he's condescending to let you know he might grace you with some business if he can't find anybody to work at slave-labour wages??

I seriously hope you can afford to tell him to take a long walk off a short pier if he does call back.

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
            I am seriously surprised he didnt pull the whole "but with the economy the way it is...".
            If he did the best response is "and that's why my prices are this. With the economy the way it is prices are INCREASING not decreasing."

and at offering to raise prices on him for being a jerk.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              $35/hours? You are cheap value priced.
              ...yeah, I know. I should probably charge more, considering...but...egh, times are hard.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Completely off topic but my autocorrect changes your name to werepig.

On topic, I remember a time when banner ads were touted as easy peasy and so weren't. So were either way expensive or way cheap and looked cheap.

Comment

The only time $10/hour works is eLance. And even then, most folks charging that rate make up the difference by charging a butt load of hours. Maybe a better suggestion is to see how well the user can do the work themselves... cuz that's WAY cheap .
                  But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                  And it's not what I wanted to be
                  The weight on me
                  Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

The $35 includes delivery.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm reminded of the ol' bromide....

"Cost of turning screw, $0.01. Cost of knowing which screw needs turned, $499.99"
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Wait, I could buy a pop-up ad for $35?? Sweet. That guy was an idiot.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          and at offering to raise prices on him for being a jerk.
                          Seconded -- especially seeing as how he contacted you again, meaning, he had failed to get a lower quote from anyone.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's like you wanna tell these guys--

"Let me break it down for you, then, Mister I'll-Pay-You-Ten-Bucks. Call it $10 for the hour, but the extra $25 is to cover expenses and experience."

Kind of like that old story about someone who took their car to a garage for a fix. Mechanic comes out, looks under the hood, selects a hammer, and uses it on one spot, fixes the problem, and charges $500 (or some other "ridiculously high" price). When the car owner protests, "$500 for you hitting it with a hammer!? That's ridiculous!" The mechanic replies, "$5 for the hammer, $495 for knowing where to apply it."
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Don't tell them how long it takes you. He has no need to know that.

Also, your price includes materials, depreciation on equipment, administrative costs, and a whole lot of extras. Ten dollars for an ad would probably COST you to produce it.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X