This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel bad...a Rant...long.

This could almost go under CoC, but this is more about me.

So far it has been an interesting year at work. I was off for 2 weeks because my two remaining grandparents died, a coworker has been off for 7 weeks because of surgery, and another has been on vacation for 2 weeks. He leaves again next Tuesday for another two weeks, then I leave for a week and a half the day he comes back.

The coworker who was out for 7 weeks was supposed to be back last week. I was off last week because my Grandmother died and returned yesterday. Apparently she showed up last week and said that she would be back tomorrow, 4/24.

She usually works the late shift. When she if off, I do. So for the last 6 weeks I've been working later than normal, which I don't like, but haven't complained about.

I show up yesterday and find out that she won't be back until Wednesday this week. One of my coworkers P, says that she had told our boss that I might be able to cover the late shift today. I didn't respond right away, but eventually said I would over 7-9, but wouldn't take the 9-11 call.

After looking at who stepped up and helped out over the past 7 weeks, I rescinded my offer. Said coworker said if I didn't want to, or think I should have to, work the late shift, I should talk to our manager. She herself has more than stepped up to the plate to cover the deficiencies in coverage, working a couple of different weekend days and pulling a 6am-9pm shift this past week.

I told her that I was unwilling to work late when everyone has stepped up to cover except for one coworker, L. I wanted to know why it was that L never covered anything except the occasional call while the rest of us are working extra shifts. P had something like 16 hours of OT and JG had 25. L had a few because she came in a bit on Friday to help out because she worked the weekend and wanted to be caught up as much as possible.

But other than that, in the last year, not counting the 6 weeks I covered for the person who was off, I have covered 5 of the 10 late shifts due to call offs. L has covered none. Her last one was 3/13/12 when she was the only one working because everyone else was off/called off and before that was 12/8/08. I told P didn't mind helping carry the load, but I was done carrying most of it. I'm okay with covering the late shift when a coworker is on vacation, but when someone calls off, everyone needs to help out because I too have a life outside of work.

P apologized for mentioning my name and said that if I didn't want to work the late shift she would. And I know she would, but if anyone complains, I'm sure our shitty, good-for-nothing managers would just tell me I was going to have to work it. And after my boss and I tangled over it the last time, I wasn't willing to go there.

So about 3:40 this morning I wake up, my heart is pounding, headache and nausea. I spent the next 50 minutes debating if I was going to do what I was thinking of doing. I certainly couldn't go back to sleep. In the end, I decided to burn some precious PTO time and simply called work and told them I was sick. Which was the truth. And I knew at the time that if I *did* go into work, you certainly weren't going to want me dealing with patients because I knew my tolerance level would be low and I would be likely to say something that would get me in trouble.

Now, I feel bad for P. I know it was shitty to do it. I'm sure she is telling L that I was pissed about L not covering the late shift, because if there is one thing P likes to do is stir the pot. I swear, if that woman isn't in the middle of drama, she isn't happy.

And I know that when I go back to work on Thursday I'm going to get the cold shoulder, but for the most part, I don't give a crap. I'm actually more worried about burning my PTO time which is something I put a great deal of value in.

I also know that I am scheduled for the late shift in a couple of weeks and I am going to have to call off for that because of finals. Which will burn even more PTO time. And the two people working that shift will be L and P again. It also might get me talked to seeing as how management might see that as a 'trend.' Hey...you're calling off shifts when you're scheduled late.

So yeah...I feel bad about calling off. Mainly because I feel like I'm screwing P over.

tldr; I got volunteered to work the late shift and called off instead of getting stuck working it. I feel bad about sticking to one of my coworkers.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

You had an anxiety attack...and no wonder. You need some time off. Sometimes a "mental health day" is the only solution. Don't feel bad. It's not like you called off to go hang out at the beach. You have to take care of yourself, too.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If you are sick, you're sick. End of story.

If you are concerned they will take it up with you, go to the doctors (if you can afford it), get a medical certificate stating you were medically unfit to work. No self respecting workplace will chew out someone who has a medical certificate, because if they DO, they face legal repercussions.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss -- however:
        "I was off last week because my Grandmother died and returned yesterday."
        Yikes! I'd give you whatever leeway you'd like under these circumstances.
        Perhaps "I returned yesterday after being off last week because my grandmother died" would better inform us of your situation, without any ghostly implications.

Comment

I'm not really concerned with management. If they say anything, I'll just tell them I was sick and if they press me I'll just repeat myself.

But good grief my back still hurts. I almost went to the ER last evening it hurt so bad.

I'm hoping it is just the lumbar adjustment in the car being out of whack and being in the car for quite a bit Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I'll mess with it again when I drive it next.
          I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Working...
          X