Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspicous Dude tried to break down my precious door!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicous Dude tried to break down my precious door!

Around 2am (what I call the Weirdo Hour) a very tall guy a hat approached the locked front door. The first thing that struck me about him was that he was wearing baggy sweatpants and a heavy coat, gloves and a mask in the middle of summer. Very suspicious. He kept trying the pry open the door with his hands, a personal pet peeve of mine. Then he kicked it a few times. Then he knelt and tried to open the door from the bottom. After a few minutes of this, he rang the buzzer, and I answer via intercom.

Me: Hello can I help you?
    Suspicious dude: I'm just tryna...jus tryna visit ma fren on the 4th floor.
    Me: What is his name? And his room number?
    SD: Joe...or somethin' I can' rememba.
    Me: You can't remember your own friend name?!
    SD: I'm sorry, I gotta terrible memory.
    Me: What about the room number.
    SD: 4666...or somethin.
    Me: ....-_-
    Me: Okay we don't have a '4666' here-
    SD: *interrupts me* I'm sowee! I gotta bad memory! Look if you just open da door--
    Me: I'm sorry but if you can't remember the name or room number, I can't open the door. Please leave.

He didn't leave, he rang the buzzer a few more times and I grabbed the phone and called the cops on him. Usually I warn them if I will but he was freaking me out and he stole our newspaper. He took off before the cops came, and I babbled to them what happened. They jsut wanted to know which way he went. I told them and they left. He kind of reminded me of that time when I went just outside to bring the newspapers and I bent over and when I looked up, there was this easily 6'6" guy looming over me behind me. I screamed and dropped the newspapers and ran to the back office. He kind of looked like Hagrid from Harry potter. Except without the friendliness. Brr. Really, even if he was telling the truth, who wears a hat and heavy clother in the summer?? I'm still shaken, probably though because I've been watching old horror movie reruns, a morbid fascination of mine. :\ Now what to do about our newspaper, the guests will be MAD.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

If you have a Petty Cash float, grab a newspaper from a nearby store once there's another staffer around.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
      Around 2am (what I call the Weirdo Hour) a very tall guy a hat approached the locked front door. The first thing that struck me about him was that he was wearing baggy sweatpants and a heavy coat, gloves and a mask in the middle of summer.
      Wait, what? He was wearing a mask?! I would've called the cops right then and there. If someone's wearing a mask and it's not Halloween, they've got to be up to no good.

Regardless, I'm glad you're safe, and hope the cops find him before he hurts anyone.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Besides all the other obvious red flags....I've never understood why people continue to keep banging on doors or trying to open them if they've already been denied access.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow, glad you listened to your gut, this sounds way sketchy. Night audit can be very dangerous. About 8 years ago in an area of the city I don't consider that bad, a night auditor was shot and killed at a local hotel. It can happen anywhere.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I imagine he may have been drunk or trying to rob you, or as our world increasingly shows with its dumb criminals, BOTH.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Wait, what? He was wearing a mask?! I would've called the cops right then and there. If someone's wearing a mask and it's not Halloween, they've got to be up to no good.

Regardless, I'm glad you're safe, and hope the cops find him before he hurts anyone.
              Erm... I need to interject here. A lot of my former customers wore masks because they no longer had facial features and hadn't had reconstructive surgery. (Severe burn injuries from Iraq and Afghanistan). It was startling the first time I saw this instead of the scars... but I honestly can't blame them.
              Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
              Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
              -Unknown Author

Comment

A good explanation for masks at odd times of the year, Opalin. Thanks for the heads-up. Although with the rest of it ... couldn't remember his friend's name OR room number ... it still sounds sketchy enough that I too am glad the OP didn't open the door. Sorry, dude, go call your friend and tell him/her to wait out front to let you in!

Quoth blas View Post
                Besides all the other obvious red flags....I've never understood why people continue to keep banging on doors or trying to open them if they've already been denied access.
                Could be their wits are addled due to drink or drugs ... could just be that they figure if they make enough ruckus, somebody will open the door to stop the noise.

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
                  Erm... I need to interject here. A lot of my former customers wore masks because they no longer had facial features and hadn't had reconstructive surgery. (Severe burn injuries from Iraq and Afghanistan). It was startling the first time I saw this instead of the scars... but I honestly can't blame them.
                  A fair point. I've also had customers with facial prostheses. Not to mention pollen masks during allergy season. So it would depend on the type of mask being worn.

But I suspect the guy in the OP wasn't wearing a facial prosthesis or pollen mask. Plus, with him trying to break down the door and other suspicious behavior, I don't think I would've given him the benefit of the doubt.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    As a cosplayer, Imma have to disagree. For nerds, every day is Halloween. Though I doubt that guy was on his way to or from a convention.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

It is for reasons like this (and the fact that I *DON'T* have a lockable exterior door at night) that I've been considering getting something for my own self defense.

I don't think its likely, but I'd much rather have something I don't need, than need something I don't have...

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                        It is for reasons like this (and the fact that I *DON'T* have a lockable exterior door at night) that I've been considering getting something for my own self defense.

I don't think its likely, but I'd much rather have something I don't need, than need something I don't have...
                        I'd suggest some form of martial arts, or else take a personal self-defense course. And the number one rule of self-defense: you can't outrun or dodge a bullet. (If they have a gun... don't be a dead hero for the company.)
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Most normal people understand that sometimes, taking the mask off is the right thing to do.

But these are generally also not the people who bash at a locked door when it doesn't open for them.

Comment

A mask and long clothes in the middle of summer....sounds like an attempted robbery to me.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'd say that it's possible for someone who meant no harm to be dressed like that guy was. People, even nice ones, do odd things. But with how he was acting? Scary. And at o' dark thirty? Can't be a good guy.
                              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                              -----
                              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                              X