This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck.

Got a job interview tomorrow finally. Applying for a caregiver position for a elderly disabled lady for the weekend, meaning yep, have to spend the night there and all that.

It's only part time. I'm scared crapless. I barely can take care of myself, but I do care for others, and they do training so just pay attention to that of course.

It's minimal wage, part time, but it start paying bills, will help with my medical degree and other various deals.
    My biggest worry is enteraining her. I'm not much of a talker, or intresting person. I can typically know a little about what anyone is talking about, but what if she gets bored of me, or I'm boring or stupid and she gets rid of me?

Thankfully the business It is is nonprofit, and if she doesn't like me, I can be transfered to another person who needs me.

So yeah. Wish me luck. I'm going ot need it all.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

You got a job. I bet you also got some self-respect with that. Nice one, mate.

I doubt you'd be gotten rid of because you were boring. However, a suggestion I would have would be to regale your client with some of the tales from here. Those involving me would be good. You'd get weeks worth of fascinating tidbits from just one post of mine.

*ahem*

Luck is overrated. Ability counts for much more. Knock 'em alive.

Rapscallion

Comment

Good luck, Plaid.

Having read your posts, I'd say you're not boring, and you have a charming wit.

Raps has a good idea...regale her with stories from this place. Read to her. Or, watch movies with her and then talk about the movie with her (this is why movie dates are nice...gives you something to talk about if you don't know what else to talk about.)

Comment

Are we talking mentally, physically, or both disabled? Because when I did a short time taking care of a elderly lady we had a ball looking through photo albums. I could name her relatives better then her own daughter could.

Comment

Good luck!! From what I have read here you are a wonderful person. *hugs*

Have her tell you stories of her youth.
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
            My biggest worry is enteraining her. I'm not much of a talker, or intresting person. I can typically know a little about what anyone is talking about, but what if she gets bored of me, or I'm boring or stupid and she gets rid of me?
            bore, noun:
            1. A person who talks when they should be listening.

Ask questions. Let them talk. Find the photos on display and ask about them.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Several of my classmates are doing very similar jobs and they really seem to actually enjoy it for the most part. As for not boring her - keeping their clients entertained seems to be pretty consistent for those with elderly ones. Watch a movie with them, read a chapter or so of a book to them (especially if their vision isn't great), help them with their correspondence (again, vision issues and often tremors may interfere). My biggest recommendation is just to be available to actually talk to them. Many caregivers are so wrapped up in other things - unavoidable at times, sadly - that the client may feel like an inconvenience or burden.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

Comment

Well it's a nonprofit organzation for various disabled people. Be it mental or phyiscal to the extreme like MS.

From what I know, I'm going to have to clean her and feed her etc. She can't speak much, but she loves to travel and gets out in her wheelchair alot, and wierd art. However, the people there loved my reseme I guess, and my previous bosses stated that they'l never have a more reliable employee then me. (Makes me less bitter towards that horrid corporation, but at least they were fair). It works with my school, and helps with it in a small way by on hands training.

Thank you.
                Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Good luck Plaid
                  Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Good Luck :-)

Comment

On my way soon. So nervous that I poured salt instead of sugar in my coffee. I don't know why I'm so nervous. I've been told that I basically have the job as long as I'm a fit for the job. This interview is just to get a feel for me, and the people I know that work there say I have a good chance. So still.

I'll let everyone know when I get back in a couple hours.
                      Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Aw. Good luck! It sounds like it could be enjoyable.

Comment

Best wishes, Plaid.

Don't be nervous. Keep your cool. You can do it
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Best of luck, Plaidman!
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Got the job. Well, mostly. Still going to training (Paid) classes after the first for a week, then it's hopefully if all goes to plan off to a weekend shift for the lady.

She has CP (I always got that mixed up with MS but oh well), in her 70's etc. She loves her main caregiver that works most of the week. That lady wants to work straight through 24-7 but the main office doesn't want her burned out.

The point of my job isn't so much a caregiver as a helper. I guess that's the best way to say it. As in, we help clean them and take them places if they need it, but the person we take care of calls the shots. For example, the lady I'm going to be taking care of might want to go to place X or place B. I take them there, even If I personally hate said place with all my guts.

We help, not order or boss or hold them back from places like some caregivers might do in order to /protect/ them or whatever excuse they want to use. It's going to be great job, I can feel it. Office people are nice, I even briefly met the lady I'm going to take care of though she doesn't know that I will yet. It's a secret til they talk to her main caregiver, because if caregiver gets upset, she might give subtle clues that the eldery lady will pick up and refuse me because they're that close.

Nice place though, just down the street so I can walk there. I can do my homework there at night when she's asleep, get to see movies for free because office pays for that.

Pay is better then I thought (Above minimal wage, and near what I was making at my last job).

Mostly using this to help pay bills again, and for the experence while I finish school. It's pretty sweet.
                              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Working...
                              X