Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lack of medical body modesty seems to bother some medical people.

I have normal body modesty in other settings, but if it's medical I'm fine to strip down without a curtain and a paper 'gown'. Why not - it's not like I've got anything the doctor/nurse/physiotherapist/whatever hasn't seen before.

Or if I DO, it means they REALLY should see it!
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Why not - it's not like I've got anything the doctor/nurse/physiotherapist/whatever hasn't seen before.

This is pretty much how I've always thought about it. I mean, I may not strip down for people all of the time, but they do what they do for most of their careers, so by the time they leave for the day, they will barely have any memory of me.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        My lack of medical body modesty seems to bother some medical people.

I have normal body modesty in other settings, but if it's medical I'm fine to strip down without a curtain and a paper 'gown'. Why not - it's not like I've got anything the doctor/nurse/physiotherapist/whatever hasn't seen before.

Heh, I have spent so much time hospitalized in my life I also don't have any left ... I have a friend from Norfolk VA who said [when he came home after boot camp] that he was so used to the gang bathrooms they had in boot that he felt uncomfortable alone in the bathroom and had the urge to take a bucket out onto the patio so he could have some company

I do know that I can sleep anywhere in pretty much any situation now - I used to travel a lot, and would use a small sea bag as a pillow with a small blanket by wrapping my arm through the strap so nobody could snatch and run with the bag and roll next to the wall or behind a row of seats in the waiting area nearest my plane. I could fall asleep in a crowd, in silence, in dark, in light - just doesn't matter as long as I have a scrap of blanket. I need to have something covering me.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Time to chime in with my own ER fail story!

Long story short, my dad took me to the ER after writhing in pain all morning with what seemed like really bad gas, but which reached the point of direness while we were in the car to a local clinic.

I arrived, pointed at 9 on the scale of 1 to 10 pain meter since, having been riped through a blackberry bramble in my youth, I had experienced worse pain than this, but that would soon change.

Arrived at my waiting room... and waited... and waited... The tiny TV screen was showing Judge Judy. I quietly wondered what I'd done to deserve this punishment.

Several times my father tried to flag a nurse and ask for pain meds, but was flatly told that only a doctor could issue medication, but so far we'd not seen hide or hair of a doctor.

Over one hour of writhing in the worst pain of my life, someone steps into the room and gets a look on their face like they were shocked that anyone was in the room.

5 minutes later I was in CAT scan, 15 minutes after that I was in surgery to have my appendix removed.

Found out later the hospital had just recently installed a new monitoring system (As seen with the giant monitors on the walls of the triage center), and it still had some bugs, in that I had been assigned to one of two doctors, but the one I was assigned to was told my room was assigned to the other doctor. So, for a full hour, I was lost in the system.

Happily, my request for financial assistance (since I was unemployed at the time), yielded a 100% write-off of my bill.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            * if necessary, dose myself with valium or ativan. (NOTE NOTE NOTE: this is with my GP and psychiatrists' permission. And I ask if that's okay for this particular set of tests FIRST.)
            This. I will not allow anyone to stick a needle in me without pretreatment with Valium. Lots and lots of Valium. Like, six to seven times the normal dosage of Valium. And I couldn't care less if it interferes with whatever test they're doing; that's their problem to deal with however they want.

Went in for a CAT scan a couple years ago to r/o possible appendicitis. (Wasn't. Nor was it diverticulitis. They never did find out what the hell was hurting me, but it stopped after a couple days.) I asked them whether I'd need an IV; when they said I would, I said Excuse me, I need to take some diazepam, and swallowed some. He asked me how many I'd taken, so he could document it in the chart; when I told him five 5mg tabs to start with, his eyebrows reached his hairline...

Comment

Quoth Pojodan View Post
              Several times my father tried to flag a nurse and ask for pain meds, but was flatly told that only a doctor could issue medication, but so far we'd not seen hide or hair of a doctor.

Over one hour of writhing in the worst pain of my life, someone steps into the room and gets a look on their face like they were shocked that anyone was in the room.

5 minutes later I was in CAT scan, 15 minutes after that I was in surgery to have my appendix removed.

Found out later the hospital had just recently installed a new monitoring system (As seen with the giant monitors on the walls of the triage center), and it still had some bugs, in that I had been assigned to one of two doctors, but the one I was assigned to was told my room was assigned to the other doctor. So, for a full hour, I was lost in the system.

Happily, my request for financial assistance (since I was unemployed at the time), yielded a 100% write-off of my bill.
              As well they should. There really is no excuse for that, and it's a miracle your appendix didn't burst while you were waiting.

Quoth Shalom View Post
              He asked me how many I'd taken, so he could document it in the chart; when I told him five 5mg tabs to start with, his eyebrows reached his hairline...
              My eyebrows would be going up, too. That's a lot of Valium.

Then again, some people build tolerance pretty quickly.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm surprisingly tolerant to the diazepam family. When I was adapting to Cymbalta, my adaption side-effect was an inability to sleep.

At that point, I'd taken diazepams once, for a short period of time, as an attempt at sleeping pills. Maybe a week of mild diazepams. (They didn't work.)

Anyway, my doctor listened to that, and put me on a more serious one. I want to say it was mogadon, but I don't remember precisely. Both he and the pharmacist told me to take it and go straight to bed - to expect to be out like a light.

I'd take the Cymbalta first thing in the morning. Take the Mogadon just before bed. And even then, it would be most of an hour before I was asleep!

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  I want to say it was mogadon, but I don't remember precisely. Both he and the pharmacist told me to take it and go straight to bed - to expect to be out like a light.

I'd take the Cymbalta first thing in the morning. Take the Mogadon just before bed. And even then, it would be most of an hour before I was asleep!
                  Mogadon (nitrazepam) is not available in the USA, so I've never seen it used and can't comment from experience; the chart says it has a very fast onset, but being fat-soluble, I'd expect that in heavier persons you'd need more of it for the same effect.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  My eyebrows would be going up, too. That's a lot of Valium.
                  Well, yeah, it is. I also didn't mention in my post that over the next hour or so I took another two of them. It usually takes about 30mg to make me hold still for a venipuncture. 35mg is a bit high even for me, though if I'd had another hour or so to wait, perhaps I could have gotten away with "only" 30. For an IM injection, 20 to 25 mg might be enough; for SQ, probably wouldn't need more than 15.

(For purposes of comparison, for the non-medical readers, the usual anxiolytic dose is 2 to 5 mg for mild anxiety, 10mg for more severe anxiety. Don't assume that just because I'm a pharmacist and taking that much, that this is a safe dose for everyone else.)

It's not easy to OD on benzodiazepines, though. For one thing, their therapeutic window (i.e. the difference between the minimum effective dose and the toxic dose) is incredibly wide, in contrast with the barbiturates they replaced in the early 60s. And even if you do manage to ingest a frankly toxic dose, there's a specific BZD-receptor antagonist (Romazecon) which can reverse the effects pretty quickly. (Obviously whatever you took it for will come back with a vengeance, so it's not a real good idea to give it to someone who's taking BZDs for seizure prevention.)

Also, diazepam partitions into fat tissue, like Mogadon referred to above, and thus heavy people like me (BMI=32) might be able to tolerate larger doses. The stuff doesn't even put me to sleep, even at the massive dose I took: just makes me kind of limp and floppy, a bit uncoordinated, and maybe a little more peaceful than usual. It's true that my name means Peace, but I've always had trouble living up to that. Especially when confronted with needles... when I was a kid, I couldn't even take a splinter out with one. I've mellowed a bit since then.

(Although sleepy or not, I wasn't stupid enough to try and drive home after that, I took a cab and went back for the car a couple days later.)

Then again, some people build tolerance pretty quickly.
                  True, but I don't take it often enough to build up a tolerance to it. Besides prophylaxis for blood tests, which don't happen very often, maybe two or three times a year I need to take 5mg for a particularly bad muscle spasm, and that's about all.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Mogadon (nitrazepam) is not available in the USA, so I've never seen it used and can't comment from experience; the chart says it has a very fast onset, but being fat-soluble, I'd expect that in heavier persons you'd need more of it for the same effect.
                    By BMI, I'm on the 'overweight' side of the 'overweight/obese' border. Probably a bit less now.

By waist/hip ratio, I was at the time just a bit over the 'healthy' point. I'm now below that mark, though not in the 'ideal' range.

I have more fat tissue than I want, but I also have a lot of muscle tissue. I can move large pieces of furniture on my own: and I mean fridges, or large-screen CRT TVs.

In the time when I took the mogadon, I used to max out the leg press machine at our old gym, and was working my way to doing the same with leg adduction/abduction and the lat pulldown.
                    Of course, I was also doing my fibromyalgia no good at all by doing so: I was throwing myself into pain crashes all the time. But it gives you an idea of how 'wrong' the BMI was as an indicator of fat level.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      It's not easy to OD on benzodiazepines, though. For one thing, their therapeutic window (i.e. the difference between the minimum effective dose and the toxic dose) is incredibly wide, in contrast with the barbiturates they replaced in the early 60s. And even if you do manage to ingest a frankly toxic dose, there's a specific BZD-receptor antagonist (Romazecon) which can reverse the effects pretty quickly. (Obviously whatever you took it for will come back with a vengeance, so it's not a real good idea to give it to someone who's taking BZDs for seizure prevention.
                      Yeah, I always keep a vial on hand when I am doing moderate (formerly conscious) sedation . . . that and Narcan. I've had to use it once I think, when the doc ordered too much Versed.

Romazecon or Narcan . . . give it to someone used to taking benzos or opiates, and be prepared for a very upset person . . . esp if they're abusing it. You've just turned off their high
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        Romazecon or Narcan . . . give it to someone used to taking benzos or opiates, and be prepared for a very upset person . . . esp if they're abusing it. You've just turned off their high
                        Turn off my painkilling and mood stabilisation and you'll get an upset person too.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Turn off my painkilling and mood stabilisation and you'll get an upset person too.
                          Absolutely! We're careful about the use of Narcan in the ER regardless of why or how the person overdosed. Whether it's turning off a high, or turning off therapeutic effects, it's bad, bad, bad for the patient and the staff who feel their rightful wrath.

My students often don't understand why we give morphine rather than Narcan to newborns born with heroin addictions until I explain that we don't want to send them into instant withdrawal.

Comment

Working...
                          X