Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madonna's last name is Ciccone. (At least, it was before any of her marriages. No idea if she ever changed it.) Her real first name really is Madonna.

Stevie Nicks' real first name is Stephanie. As a young child, she could not pronounce her own name, and it came out as Stevie. And that's how she got that nickname. Also, she's from my home state of Arizona.

As is David Spade, though if you ever hear him talk about it, he clearly loathes the place. To be fair, Nicks grew up in lovely Scottsdale, and Spade is from Casa Grande, which is far more like what most people think of Arizona (dry, dusty, desolate, and boring) than Scottsdale or the Phoenix area.

David Bowie's real name is David Jones, but he adapted the stage name of Bowie to avoid confusion with Davey Jones of The Monkees.

Alice Cooper's real name is Vincent Furnier.

Cider and all malt liquor beverages are, by the strictest definition, beer.

St. Augustine's claim of being the oldest city in America is only partially true. They are the oldest continuously inhabited city. There is an older city in New Mexico that was abandoned for a time early in its history. But at least St. Augustine can claim oldest city in Florida without dispute!

The International Swimming Hall of Fame is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Garlic is a member of the lily family.

The oldest logo/trademark it the world is the red star of Bass Ale fame.

The first North American football team, college or pro, to put an emblem, logo, or decoration on their helmets other than a stripe was the Cleveland Rams, when before a game, one of their receivers painted horns on his helmet.

Jester's Bar Bet tip: wager someone a drink they can't tell you which of the 32 current NFL franchises is the oldest continuously run franchise. Rare is the person that will know that the answer is the Arizona Cardinals, founded in 1898 as the Morgan Athletic Club, and run continuously since, through several cities. They were founded 23 years before the NFL officially formed. (I'm a great one for NFL trivia!)

Arizona Iced Tea is made in New York.
    Arizona Jeans Company is based in Chicago.

Key West got its name because English-speakers tend to butcher the language. No, seriously! When the original pirates first found Key West, the found an uninhibited island that mysteriously had tons of human skeletons scattered across it. So they named it "Island of Bones." Since they were Spanish, the actual name was "Cayo Hueso." (Pronounced KIE-oh WAY-so.) When the English came along, they mangled "Cayo Hueso" into "Key West." And THAT is why a bunch of islands off the southern tip of Florida are called "Keys" rather than islands.
    Last edited by Jester; 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

George Custer was only a Brevet Major General during the American Civil War. Afterward he was a Lt. Colonel. He was also acting in direct violation of his orders at the time of his infamous last stand.
      Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

There is a Maize Maze Assocation in the UK
        As soon as I start thinking
        That I'm sensible and sane
        The Random Hedgehog comes along
        And fiddles with my Brain
        (from card I got)

Comment

Leonard DiCaprio was kicked off the set of Romper Room at age 5 for being disruptive.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I love random trivia!

Speaking of which, trivia is latin for three roads; in ancient Rome where three or more roads met the Romans would put up signs with bits of news and information on them.
            Last edited by NecessaryCatharsis; 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM. Reason: Can't spell; shouldn't try!
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
              A group of baboons is called a "flange". This was made up for a comedy show called "Not the Nine O'Clock News", somehow made its way into a scientific usage, and is now the official term for it.
              The name for the collection of spikes on a Stegosaurus' tail is a "Thagomizer". That's another one that found its way from pop culture (in this case, a Far Side cartoon) to scientific usage.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              On a lighter note, Barbie's (the doll's) full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
              Mattel's advertising implies that Barbie and Ken are girlfriend and boyfriend. Their names are actually taken from a real-life brother/sister pair (I believe they're the children of the chief designer). Barbie was also "inspired" by a German "adult" gag doll.

Quoth Jester View Post
              Cider and all malt liquor beverages are, by the strictest definition, beer.
              I'd call a "no" on this. Under the strictest definition, cider and "malt liquor" are, by definition, NOT beer.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                David Bowie's real name is David Jones, but he adapted the stage name of Bowie to avoid confusion with Davey Jones of The Monkees.
                Movie director Duncan Jones ("Moon", "Source Code", the upcoming "World of Warcraft" movie) is David Bowie's son.

Remember Peter Billingsley?

He directs and produces movies now... including this:
                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth klhanson View Post
                  elephants cant jump
                  I actually knew this one. And thank goodness they don't! Scarey freaky

Quoth Jester View Post

Jester's Bar Bet tip: wager someone a drink they can't tell you which of the 32 current NFL franchises is the oldest continuously run franchise. Rare is the person that will know that the answer is the Arizona Cardinals,
                  Only knew this from living amongst St. Lousians for so long.
                  'nother good bar bet/random trivia: Name the only two days no professional sports are played in the United States....

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                  Speaking of whick, trivia is latin for three roads; in ancient Rome where three or more roads met the Romas would put up signs with bits of news and information on them.
                  lol. Two common Latin terms, and I never put any thought into their application to "trivia." Now I know.

Comment

A sand spit connecting two pieces of land together is called a trombolo.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I would say that this thread has truly embiggened us all....What? It's a perfectly cromulent word!

On US food labels, the terms "lite" and "light" are effectively interchangeable according to the USDA, and may refer to lower amounts of certain components such as fat, sodium, or sugar (must be 50% less than the brand's "normal" version of the same product -- note that a drop in one often means more of the others), or calories (must have 33% fewer)....or, when the term is not specifically elaborated upon, simply the color of the product itself. Yes, this means that, say, chocolate ice cream that isn't quite as dark a brown as the company's "standard" chocolate ice cream (and is otherwise identical) can be legally labeled as "light" or "lite" ice cream, as long as they do not claim to have altered the nutritional content in any way.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you happen to be at a zoo, you cannot tell spotted hyenas apart by glancing at their genitalia: the females appear to look like the males. (seriously)
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I'd call a "no" on this. Under the strictest definition, cider and "malt liquor" are, by definition, NOT beer.
                          Well played, sir. You are correct that the German Beer Purity Law is strict. But it is not the strictest definition of what beer is, merely the strictest law of what is allowed to be sold as beer in Germany. It's a small difference, but it is a difference.

So, while ciders and malt liquors would not be allowed to be sold as beer in Germany, they are still technically beer.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          'nother good bar bet/random trivia: Name the only two days no professional sports are played in the United States....
                          The two days after the baseball all star game.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Some Pokemon anime trivia time!

-apparently the GS ball (featured in the orange island and johto arcs) was going to contain celebi and she/he/it would travel with ash and company for a while. They eventually decided to out celebi in the movie instead and the idea was scrapped.

-according to a staff member, the reason why they replaced Brock in the orange islands saga was because at the time, Pokemon was becoming more prominent overseas and they didn't want people getting the idea that Brock was a stereotype and/or a racist joke (compared to the more white-bread ash and misty). Hence the introduction of the most random travelling companion in the series.

-while the dub of the series keeps the pikachu sound bites from the Japanese version, in the first series, another actress had to provide the voice dubbing for pikachu when they couldn't fix the audio.

-in Pokemon black and white, the gym leaders for the first gym are known as cilan, cress and chili in the dub. Their names in the sub? Dent, pod and corn.

-and finally, one of pikachus moves in the series (volt tackle) is actually one of the rarest moves you can get. The ONLY way you can get hold of it, is if you breed a pikachu or a raichu holding a light ball, with a ditto or any of the other Pokemon it can breed with. The resulting pichu will know volt tackle. Other Pokemon will have it during events.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The tastiest part of a human is the bit of meat below the thumb on the palm of your hand.

The reason why you jerk awake when say falling asleep on the couch or at your desk is an evolutionary trick we learned from living in trees. Cuz if you fell asleep and fell forward, you'd fall to your death, thus we jerk awake to prevent ourselves from falling over.

The reason why we go "ssshhh" to crying babies and the like? It's the sound a snake makes, and so we instill fear subconsciously and get them to be quiet or else the snake will find them and eat them.

Comment

Quoth Dasota View Post
                                The tastiest part of a human is the bit of meat below the thumb on the palm of your hand.
                                This brings up not one, but two pressing questions.

1. How do you know this?

2. How can it be stated objectively that something is the "tastiest," when the level of tastiness something has is a purely subjective thing?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X